Pellet sizes

T0MMYT

Hi all, I am just wondering if i am being silly but shouldnt all .177 pellets be the same size... i am looking at the AA Field pellets and the come in 4.51 and 4.52?? is this the diameter? and if so why is there different size and also if anyone knows what works best in an AA S400.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tommy,

I have an Air Arms S400 Carbine in .22 and when I bought it I was recommended to always buy the AA 4.52 mm field - they do the job just fine. They give a slighly tighter grip inside the barrel than the 4.51mm and therefore use the available energy more efficiently.

BTW 4.52mm is a .22 not a .177...

Good luck

Hi Tommy,

I have an Air Arms S400 Carbine in .22 and when I bought it I was recommended to always buy the AA 4.52 mm field - they do the job just fine. They give a slighly tighter grip inside the barrel than the 4.51mm and therefore use the available energy more efficiently.

BTW 4.52mm is a .22 not a .177...

Good luck

.22 is 5.5mm, .177 is 4.5mm.

All I can say is buy both and try them. As a rule continental barrels (Weihrauch etc) are tighter than british guns (BSA, Air Arms etc). That said, it's best to try a range of pellets, but I'd start with the smaller ones first. Also don't just use one brand, try some other good makes like Crosman, H&N and RWS superdomes. All guns like something different to the next! :rolleyes: