Air pistol (rifle) for close range vermin control

AdamC

Hi all, have done a few searches, but could not find the info I want. I am looking for an air pistol for close range vermin control in the garden and garage, mainly rats and magpies. Garden is not that large, and the 12g could be seen as too much gun for the job.

I think a pistol would be best as I dont not want to raise concerns for neighbours by waving a long barrel out the windows etc. but open to suggestions. Not sure whether to go new or second hand with this, but want something powerfull and accurate enough to kill the above mentioned. I guess maximum range I need is about 15m. Can an air pistol kill and be accurate at this range.

Also, what about scopes? Am I best sticking with stock sights, or putting a small scope on there, or possible a red dot or laser? I dont care if I am regarded as whimping out by using a scope or sight at such close range, just want to kill the vermin as quickly and easily as possible.

If you have anything for sale that might suite feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi all, have done a few searches, but could not find the info I want. I am looking for an air pistol for close range vermin control in the garden and garage, mainly rats and magpies. Garden is not that large, and the 12g could be seen as too much gun for the job.

I think a pistol would be best as I dont not want to raise concerns for neighbours by waving a long barrel out the windows etc. but open to suggestions. Not sure whether to go new or second hand with this, but want something powerfull and accurate enough to kill the above mentioned. I guess maximum range I need is about 15m. Can an air pistol kill and be accurate at this range.

Also, what about scopes? Am I best sticking with stock sights, or putting a small scope on there, or possible a red dot or laser? I dont care if I am regarded as whimping out by using a scope or sight at such close range, just want to kill the vermin as quickly and easily as possible.

If you have anything for sale that might suite feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Adam

why not get something like a bsa ultra,,,it is a rifle as you will know but its short!!!!

Adam

Hunting with air pistols in the UK is very much frowned upon, they are just not powerfull enough to dispatch quarry quickly and humanely, accept at point blank range (dispatching rats caught in traps). You really need a spring or pcp rifle mate. Powerful pistols like the HW45 put out about 5.5 ft/lbs but are just not accurate enough at hunting ranges (even 15m) due to recoil. They also cost over £200. For that you could get a good, full power springer rifle. Co2 pistols are fairly underpowered (2 ft/lbs if you are lucky) and are not an option. There are some PCP pistols which would probably be OK accuracy wise, but they are generally mega expensive, and still limited to 6ft/lbs max, as are all pistols.

You could look at Co2 rifles, but in my opinion the power fluctuations due to temperature, and resultant changing POI make them a firm no for hunting.

As a poster above said, why not look at a BSA Ultra, which is fairly short. Also, many rifles now come in carbine form, such as the awesome HW100 and AA S410. Or a carbine springer. Or one of the bullpupped rifles that come up for sale from time to time, nice and short.

In terms of scopes (for rifles) I would suggest somehting like a 3-9x40 as a popular set up for relatively close range work.

Hope it helps mate

Dan

Thanks all for the helpfull replies. sbald thanks for pointing that out, it was something I was not aware of. Where do I stand shooting them in flight with the SG in one of my dads fields?

I have since done some more reading and had come to the conclusion that perhaps a pistol was not the best option. It was the hw45 I was looking at, but was not sure what accuracy was like. I will do some more research before getting the credit card out. I have not actually seen any rats yet, but pretty sure I have some in my garage. I was thinking about magpies as we seem to be overun with them where I am and they are a blooming nuisance, especially at this time of year.

I will wait out for some rats in the garage or garden and wait till I see one so I know what I am up against and at what distance before purchase anything.

Once again, thanks all.

Just a point you need to think about, you cant kill magpies in your garden as the general licence makes this illegal and you dont want to give an excuse for your sgc to be revoked. :(

Does it not? I thought you could shoot them for wildlife protection?

We're infested with them here.

I agree if you have permission of a landowner you can shoot magpies for the protection of crops or wildlife but if asked you should be able to prove a problem exists and all other methods of control are unsuitable, I dont think this would apply in a garden and the general licence states that a wild bird cannot be taken to prevent a nuisance.

I bought a pistol last year for the same reason. It was a Crosman 1377 pump up pistol. It was about 6ft/lb which was enough to kill at about 15 yds but the accuracy was rubbish due to it being long heavy and not having a stock or decent sights. Needless to say, I didn't use it in anger against any live quarry and sold it. I think a carbine is the answer but if you want to shoot without risking a problem with your neighbours, make sure you use a decent moderator (silencer) and shoot with the barrel inside the house. Works for me! :good:

I have no personal experience with them, but I've heard that others use the Crosman 2240 pistol - I believe they call it the Ratcatcher in the UK - for this purpose.

With a stock and scope added, it makes a handy .22 carbine. Or so I understand. :good:

Jim

Edited by Jim McArthur