Roost shooting

could any one give me some tips on roost shooting with an air rifle as my local estate is holding an air rifles/410's only roost shoot in a couple of weeks, i have attended these in the past without much look and so need some advise please. :(  :(

Try to locate ash trees (less twigs to hit) rather than oaks or pines.Pigeons will head to the ash trees before moving into more favourable trees at last light. Make a small very well concealed hide and keep your movement to a bare mininimum. You will probably find if there are enough birds about you will do as well if not better with your airgun due to the lack of disturbance in the woods.I had three years february roost shooting with an airgun and was well suprised with the results with several bags over 20. Good luck!

Your best sticking to favoured roosting spots and waiting.If you were to go moving arround you won't have to much chance as you will be dealing with pigeons at there most wary.If you do see a bird land nearby,but out of range let it have a moment to settle before stalking,it will then be less cautious and you should bag him. I used to wait as long as 3 minutes before attempting a stalk,doesn't sound long,but to a pigeon its a good while.

.223, the advice from supergame, is spot on.

The reason some people have bad roost shooting experiences, is often, because they move about.

When pigeon shooting anywhere/anyhow, the less movement the better.

These birds have very good eyes and are quite cautious coming in to roost.

A windy day helps , as they have to concentrate on their landing skills, but they will still spot movement.

What air rifle will you be using .223. Over the past few years I have owned Air Arms xm100,Theoben Rapid seven and currently an air arms s400. All these rifles have been superb. The best one for hunting had to be the theoben Rapid 7.My prefered caliber was the flat shooting .177 which was capable of killing rabbits out to 60 yards consistently,but my current gun is a .22 which I limit myself to 40 yards on rabbits,it will kill at longer ranges,but the trajectory makes accuracy inconsistent.

An old manatu .22 they have been taken over by falcon now i think, though im getting half inch groups at 45 yards with it on still days never really shoot over that though but i have shot an killed a rabbit at 55yards which is the longest distance i'v shot at anything with it.