ban

lurcherboy

I Had a pint on the way home from work tonight and I was chatting to the local vicar (right pisshead)

I was telling him about the ban that has been voted for in parliment and that it would come into play within 2 years or so.

He then asked me;

"why do you go foxhunting"

"I dont"

"why are you against the ban then"

"because I have lurchers and enjoy coursing and rabbiting"

"what has that got to do with foxhunting"

"exactly" says I.

It appears that everyone I have spoken to, including anti's, thinks this ban only relates to foxhunting, or hunting foxes with dogs.

The rest of us with longdogs, terriers, gundogs have been lumped in with the Fox hunting fraternity.

And it has cost us dearly.

LB :yp:

yeah most people do think its only fox hunting that will go, and people are anti-hunt and they'd rather see thousands of dogs be shot than see a few mangy fox's be killed.

i have spoken to someone and they said why are you anti-ban if you do not do any fox hunting, and i said mainly becuase Fox Hunters support farmers when the farmers are in a protest and if they ban fox hunting, they will proberly tighten up the laws on fishing and shooting aswell.. and in the end the farmers will be hit at the end, again.

Aled

Sounds like a script from the vicar of dibley. Or terry and june. Must agree though LB, Love watching dogs course, do not like watching them hunt with men on horses behind, running yes, but feel that if you want to, Ignorami should not be able to tell you otherwise. Snaky plonker move keeping fox hunting open for 18 months rather than the three for coursing. As said in an earlier post, more people find coursing wrong than those who dont. simple maths. more votes ban. keep in power. it seems he is not so sure about foxhunting though otherwise it would be banned at the same time as coursing the big jug eared toothy ****

jim

Jim, you will find that a number of us on the forums, myself included, enjoy following hounds on horseback. It is a fun to try and keep up with them and watch them work. I enjoy following the harriers, beagles, minkhounds, and watching terriers and lurchers work.

What the government wants to do is "divide and rule". Even if you aren't particularly interested in non-lurcher hunting, don't fall into the trap.

The reason that a number of people think the ban only refers to foxhunting is only because the media portrays it that way, as photographs of mounted hunting look more impressive. I expect many townies don't even know what coursing is, in the same way they are completely ignorant of the facts about foxhunting.

One thing you can be sure of is that the antis don't differentiate between one type of hunting with hounds and another.

HG

I know that there are alot of people on the forum who enjoy hunting on horseback. I dont. I said in the previous post that if you want to do it so be it. no-one should ever tell you that you cant do this! people whom are ignorant of this way of life have imposed there beliefs upon you with no consideration to the beliefs of others. I disagree with this fascist state of mind. Thats what the post previously mentioned, if you are in any doubt as to the sentiment of the post. Please read again. I have no intention of being " divided" as to my views on the hunting with hound question, I support it fully but would not do it myself. Like gay marriage, why not, but i just dont fancy it, if you know what i mean, and am sur that you do

jim

I am not divided!!

I SUPPORT all kinds of hunting with dogs. because i dont necessarily like one of them does not mean i dont support them. I dont like fishing with poles or drinking red wine but i will defend anyones rights to do it as , It is there right, and I do variances of these. I am as aware to any threat to my chosen way of life, and will defend others as well as myself so that i can continue, with the choices that I have made.

jim

P.S red wine, try it hate it, buy bigger bottle more moolah, hate it more. that and whisky is the only thing i cant drink

Poles. only good for bashing nettles around swim

It really makes no odds HH.

I will be hunting with lurchers regardless and you can carry on with your hunting too.

Just shoot reynard instead of letting hounds ripping it, they can have its after, most of us happy.

9 hunts still working in Scotland on that basis much to the disgust of the anti's.

The fact that the General Public don't realise what is being banned, is almost irrelevant.

If there was going to be a National Referendum on the subject, then it would be important.

A free vote of MP's passed this ban, which means they did not have to consult their constituents, but could vote with their "consciences".

There has been loads of newspaper coverage on banning hunting with dogs, including the fact is includes terriers, lurchers, possibly gundogs and even the little old lady whose poodle chases a rabbit whilst out walking.

For anyone remotely interested, or involved, with fieldsports, to say they didn't see this, is amazing.

If something doesn't affect them directly (usually in their wallets or purses, like Poll Tax, petrol prices etc), the General Public are just not that interested.

Its their apathy that lets Labour underperform on every item in their manifesto and get away with it.

Don't forget the Foxhunting emphasis is deliberate. The antis try to portray it as exclusively mounted huting with the fashionable packs. They don't want the public to see the perceived "working class" pursuits such as lurchers etc as it would be harder to stereotype hunting people.

Mounted hunting probably accounts for 1/4, perhaps even less, of the hunting affected by a ban.

Pike, we have to try.

Myself and Jimdfish have been discussing a night raid on whipsnade or similar zoo.

I quite fancy Howletts as it near to me and I wont have to be out for too long.

Initially, I was worried, but Jimdfish has reassured me it would be ok. After all, he is responsible for the monkey thefts from some zoo up north, you may have read about it in the papers.

If you want in Pike, you will have to see the major (jim) good luck.