My springer pup

PEREGRINE

Nice pup Peregrine,

I like a Springer with good markings.

Hope I don't sound like a killjoy with this but ....

When the docking issue first raised it's ugly head 12 years ago ?? I purchased a black and white Springer pup undocked. Spent hours, days, weeks and months training him, superb breeding and he was excellent in all areas.

Wildfowling .. no problem on ducks and geese.

Beating .. absolute disaster, the end three inches of his tail just oozed blood.

No cut's as such .. more like sandpapered.

What a mess, covered both flanks with blood by constant wagging his tail.

The tail never really healed even after six months rest.

Never used him for beating again, had to get another docked pup and start over again .. kept him for wildfowling but what a waste.

Advised by my vet not to get him docked at 12 months as the operation would do more harm than good.

Good luck mate .. hope you don't have the problems I did.

Very nice looking ESS Peregrine,

I have one at three months now and I know what you mean about being little buggars.

She's just non stop for an hour, sleep for an hour and the cycle goes on and on, my dogs tail has been docked but it seems a bit long, I hope I dont have the same problems as RR as my dog will be driving birds next year.

Very happy I got a springer, she makes me laugh every day and she is getting my other dog a little fitter with her playing.

PM

post-13-1095936930.jpg

:devil:

your right there Mark, she is cute though aint she.

Her mother comes from the Rytex Line and Her father Badgercourt Warlord.

I,m told these dogs are steady dogs and I've been happy with what she can do, very bright and always wanting to please.

She does wee on my feet though when I first see her.

PM

She does wee on my feet though when I first see her.

PM

Ain't that annoying!

Never mind she'll grow out of that in a few years....

Reminds me of the time when waiting at the gate of Lowther Country Fair, a Weimeraner (sp?) pished on my wifes shoe. Auld Snoop (though he was just a young un at the time) thinks "I'm not having that, blimmin dog pishing on my mam's shoe!"

So he cocks his leg up and pishes on her foot as well!

...and she was wearing canvas shoes - ugh! :devil:

I have a mate who has a springer, This dog has gone for my labrador twice, and was really savage.

I went to his house the other day and the blooody thing attacked me. Jumped up and ripped my jacket.

It cost him 3 grand last year to put a fence above his garden wall so that the dog could not jump over, and attack people as they were walking their dogs past his house.

I wouldnt have one given

Cracking dog PM love the markings, I have always liked springers over all the other breeds unlike, your dog though mine does'nt give a *****k about pleasing me, in fact the complete opposit, she does anything she can not to do as she's told. I am beginning to think I am going to have trouble with this one she is over 5 months old and is not even sitting to command! Probably my fault though as I am pretty novice at dog training and this is the first pup I have had. So any pointers would be appreciated.

Paitence, patience (and wiskey and a punch bag).

Be patient with the dog, have wiskey after a training session to calm youdown and use the punch bag not the dog no matter how you feel. Know that been there seen that done & badly.

Lots of play, with the built in training. The problem is the older they get without the basics hammered in, the harder it gets. The walking to heel & sit are just repeated till it gets there. With a spaniel it may neverget it :devil: . My old spaniel would walk to heel nicely off the leader and pull like hell on it. Would only do things for me and ignore everybody else. With pups its like kids in the house. If they are bored they will chew. Have you tried on of those toys that you put mixer in and as they play bits of food fall out. Keeps they amused for a while.

PS about springers settling down at 5, it can be as late as 7 :P. Mine would get a paper or pick something up as I walked thru the door just so I would have to take it off her even when she was 10.

Lab was more settled a 7 months than springer at 7 years.

Stubbon obstinate bloody dogs, would have another tomorrow if only I had enuf time to spend on it.

Trev.

Peregrine,

I started getting mine to sit from day one, 10 weeks. she was walking to heal at 13 weeks and she is bringing me back things that I throw for her and releasing them on the dead command, so she is doing fine.

I would speak to Madspringer, he has lots of knowledge regarding these dogs and theres another guy with a dragon logo but I dont remember his name.

Have you took yours to clay ground yet?

I hav'nt yet as madspringer said it was a little too early but when ever I'm in the kitchen I always bang the pans together or bang anything that she is close too and she takes no notice anymore so pleased with that.

I think as long as you dont wait to long in getting the basics with your dog then you should'nt have any problems, take a few treats out with you and dont your dog any untill she does what you ask.

Something which I tried with mine to get her searching was go into the garden and throw two or three treats and use the word find when you let the dog go.

When the dog has found them call her back to sit postion, now though she is very young when I have her by my side and give command find she goes out to the direction I point and gets her nose to the floor.

I let her do this for 1/2 minutes and call her back and give her a treat, This week I have been placing a frozen pigeon in the long grass and she is bringing it back.

This dog has amazed me as most books tell you not to really do much with a gundog untill anout 9 months but mine is still a little puppy and she is shining.

It may all backfire later in her training but Like you this is my first gundog and I have never trained one before.

Keep in touch peregrine and let me know how your getting on.

The PM

post-13-1095943225.jpg

I have a mate who has a springer, This dog has gone for my labrador twice, and was really savage.

I went to his house the other day and the blooody thing attacked me. Jumped up and ripped my jacket.

It cost him 3 grand last year to put a fence above his garden wall so that the dog could not jump over, and attack people as they were walking their dogs past his house.

I wouldnt have one given

Good uns and bad uns in all breeds mate.

Good and bad owners come to that!

Apart from German Shepherds, the dog I am most wary of is black lab dogs. There seem to be more than their fair share of vicious ******* in those (non-working ones though)

• 4 weeks later...