3" Magnums max game 76mm 53g

colin

I have a new lamber sporting and will be joining some friends for Geese shooting next month. I have been advised to buy some Magnum Max Game shells 3" 53g if they are safe to use with my gun...my barrells are chambered to the minimum requirement for these shells ie, 76mm, however, is it still safe and wise to fire these shells as they hold a 53gm charge and will they damage my gun over time etc?(the barrells are not rifled in any way).

I hope I am not being stupid asking this question but I keep hearing the odd horror story.

Colin :*)

Colin I too have the new lanber sporter that can take 3" magnum ,on the barrels mine says proofed up to 1350 , so the best thing to do would be to ask the gunsmiths where you get the cartridges from if this is ok . But I have noticed in the lanber brochure that you can buy lanber steel chokes as well , so I am not to sure on what the original chokes can take .GMK are the importers in the uk for lanbers www.gmk.co.uk so you could give them a call 01489 579 999 to double check .

It would be interesting to hear your results as I have never used that size cartridge and probably will never need to but would be useful to know for the future as there are quite a few people on this forum who have lanbers.

Barrie :devil:

Looking at a few catridge makers sites the steel 50g have a pressure of around 900kg/cm2 so you should be okay ,just the question of the chokes .

I have used the Express lead 53g magnum max game shells and they are a very good cartridge, at £8 for 25 they are good on your wallet too. I shot 3 Canadas with them last week so they are well up for the job. I wouldn't think they have too high a pressure for your gun but for peace of mind you should check with the gunshop you buy them from.

Mark.

Colin -- i use Game bore 3" 56 gram BB's ( lead ) in my lanber deluxe , had no probs so far , they are brill cartridges for foxing , the actuall plastic wad does more damage though , i tested a few out on a fridge door at 30 yards and the pellets grouped very well , but the wad passed right through it , not sure if you can get this load in steel , i asked at the place i bought the gun and was told by there gunsmith that steel shot would be fine as long as the chokes were not too tight.

Darren .