Stock finishing

sean johnston

I have a rapid mk2 but the factory finish on the stock is poor.When i ordered the gun i had to wait 6 weeks for it as theoben had orders coming out of there ears.As a result of this i think the stock was finished in a hurry.I am thinking of completely stripping the stock bare and starting again.The stock has some fairly unusual grain that i think will come up nice if done properly.Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Regards sean. :(

Oiling a stock, if done carefully will give great results.  You must take care to ensure that all the old finish is removed, and that you rub the stock down well, finishing with very fine wet and dry paper (400 grade), wetting the stock to raise the grain, then rub down again, then finish off with fine wire wool.  There should not be any remaining sandpaper scratch marks before you start applying the coating.

For an oiled stock, you will need:

Grain sealer

Oil of Alkanet (Red Root Oil) - gives the rich red colour to the stock

Drying oil ("Rapid Oil") for the final finish.

These are available in a range called "Trade Secret" and another called "CCL" products.

This has been discussed under >general>other types of shooting>oiled stocks.. and I have given a brief description there.

(Link below if it works:)

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/cgi-bin....=4;t=50

If your stock is made from Walnut, this method will give good results with a little patience.  With Beechwood, it should still work, but I've never tried it.

You need to go over the chequering with a chequering tool to get the old varnish out.  There are several sites selling chequering tools on the net and there are different sizes and widths of tool cutters depending on the distance between grooves.  Most chequering heads have two "v's", one of which cuts and the other which guides the cutter in the previous groove, making sure all the grooves are parallel.   (the Americans spell it "checkering").  My advice is go for the coarse cutter as small amounts of grit in the old chequering wear away the fine one too quickly.  Chequering is easy to do, but you must do it in good light, and the stock should be held firmly.  Just make small cuts to start with until you get the groove established.  that way, if you make a mistake, you can correct it without spoiling the finish.  Cut the groove to the desired depth before moving on to the next.  If starting chequering from scratch, it is vitally important that you plan your design properly and draw it onto the woodwork with a fine dark pen so you can see it to follow the pattern.

Don't do that!  The wire wool will remove the wood alongside the grooves and you will still end up with a flat surface.  Unfortunately, there is no other way to do it other than with a chequering tool.  You could try Nitromors stripper on it but this may spoil the wood and affect any future finish so I wouldn't recommend it.  Rather than try anything other than a chequering tool, I would leave it as it is.