Gun Bruising Face

mattyb

I bought my self a beretta silver pigeon about 7 months ago and i have never shot so well, but every time i shoot with it seem to get a bruise on my right cheek i have shot since i was 14 and never had this problem before with any of the other guns i have shot, is there anything i can do to gun to stop this from happening.

Thanks in advance

Matty

my judgement would be that there isn't enough drop in the stock, so to compensate this your pressing your cheek hard down onto the stock (to get a better line of view on the rib), so when the trigger is pulled you get a knock on the face.

Without seeing though its pretty difficult to tell.

Cheers for the advice i did forget to say i had the gun fitted when i bought it and Ive had it 4 bout 7 months and its only recently that Ive started getting a bruise, Ive order one of them pads cat so will see how get on with that hopefully will solve the problem if not then i may have to take gun back and have it re-fitted.

Cheers again

Matty

Cheers for the advice i did forget to say i had the gun fitted when i bought it and Ive had it 4 bout 7 months and its only recently that Ive started getting a bruise, Ive order one of them pads cat so will see how get on with that hopefully will solve the problem if not then i may have to take gun back and have it re-fitted.

Cheers again

Matty

Bit of a personal question Matty, but have you lost or gained weight facially as this can cause the fitting of your gun to alter. Just ask Mungler, he has lost weight and by all accounts ended up with a nice welt across the face due to a similar thing after shooting 200 at the Essex Masters recently (Mung, note I said shooting and not hitting :rolleyes::yahoo: )

Still wouldn't do any harm to get the fitting checked again Matty, just to be sure. I have heard of, although never actually met somebody this has happened too, that if you have left the gun when wet in a warm room that the stock can possibly straighten (i.e. undo the cast imparted upon it), when drying out, never immediately noticable, but certainly over a period of time, and bearing in mind we have just come out of the winter months where you will have had the heating on :yahoo:

Just a possibility???

SS

Cheers again

Matty

Bit of a personal question Matty, but have you lost or gained weight facially as this can cause the fitting of your gun to alter. Just ask Mungler, he has lost weight and by all accounts ended up with a nice welt across the face due to a similar thing after shooting 200 at the Essex Masters recently (Mung, note I said shooting and not hitting :rolleyes::yahoo: )

Still wouldn't do any harm to get the fitting checked again Matty, just to be sure. I have heard of, although never actually met somebody this has happened too, that if you have left the gun when wet in a warm room that the stock can possibly straighten (i.e. undo the cast imparted upon it), when drying out, never immediately noticable, but certainly over a period of time, and bearing in mind we have just come out of the winter months where you will have had the heating on :yahoo:

Just a possibility???

SS

same thing happened to me with the weight thing... smacked me all over the place....

Edited by shaun4860

my judgement would be that there isn't enough drop in the stock, so to compensate this your pressing your cheek hard down onto the stock (to get a better line of view on the rib), so when the trigger is pulled you get a knock on the face.

Without seeing though its pretty difficult to tell.

good call from poacher, sounds like a heavy press into a high comb is hitting you back, how much rib do you see??

edit, this idiot hit the wrong button, take a look at the amount of rib, it should have a small amount of rise, if your seeing to much you will try to compensate by driving your nut on the stock, hence the heavy hitting. SS has asked a very valid point, if the gun fit before with no hit, what has happened since.

Martin

Again cheers for all the advice and i have put a bit of weight on my face so possible could be this, Ive got next week off work so hopefully will be getting plenty shooting in and will try the pad out and see how that goes and if not i will have it fitted again and that should cure the problem.

Many Thanks

Matty

i dont think adding a pad will work, if as you say you have added weight the stock will be pushed lower, this makes you drive your head in harder, adding material is not the answer, if your stock has a drop in comb not a parralel try moving your face rearward from normal position, this will answer a few questions immediatley, when you move back does the rib dissapear ?? does your face pressure reduce? if yes to both get the file out.

Martin

always the literal one SS :lol::lol: i'm sure a good fitter would be able to take care of it, maybe LB or another suitable mechanic :blush::D

hot oil ,skill and patience required, to slow for me, out with the chainsaw. :hmm: if too much add bondo :yes::yes: and file again.

nothing like a few splinters to make you aware of the wood on wood fit SS :yes:

you'd be suprised how little needs to be taken off in some cases though, one of the worst ive seen are the cynergy's talk about high comb, a lot of the ones ive seen have had a 1/4" chopped down.

Martin.

:blush: Had a gun fit around ten years ago and the guy that did it

said the fit was only suitable for the clothing worn at the fitting session,

because of his measurements being accurate, so if you change your gear

the gun is classed as out of fit,my measurements were took wearing a skeet

vest with t shirt under, so when you put a thick warm coat on or lose or gain weight

the fit needs to be adjusted. He reccomended using different butt pads for this,but

nothing can be done about the various bends and twists he puts in the stock,

unless you call back for a refit but at the price Ill keep the cash thanks.He

reckoned most of his customers come back for a refit around every 2 years or so

and are mostly game shooters that wear virtually the same clothing half a dozen

times a year. :D

I only paid £30 to get the stock cast to fit me 2shots by Robert Radcliffe of Colchester, so if it means that in a couple of years time I have to do it again, it's not bad value.

SS

Martin,

I was only joking about the filing. Now where is my chisel and Wet & Dry....................................................

SS

I only paid £30 to get the stock cast to fit me 2shots by Robert Radcliffe of Colchester, so if it means that in a couple of years time I have to do it again, it's not bad value.

SS

Martin,

I was only joking about the filing. Now where is my chisel and Wet & Dry....................................................

SS

Extremely cheap I paid £180 in 1997 when I was right into it and a mate recently paid £120 just to have his

measurements done, by a guy in northumberland, the work is going to cost another £160, I think thats for an

extention to the stock and extra cast,Im shooting with him on sunday so Ill tell him to look around for prices,

as far as Im aware this guy is the only one around here that people say has the right gear to do it properly.

He cast the stock for me using oil an dheat lamp, so he told me. And I found the reciept the other day I lied it was £35.00 This also involved a trip to their shooting ground with the try gun, measurements done, gun taken there and then and sorted within a week.

£120 just for a fitting, thats daylight robbery. MAybe others can tell us what they are paying to have fittings done. Dependant on Gun/Wood quality I would say, but even so I believe Jason Harris of Trulock and Harris (Framlingham) wrote in Sporting gun that between £30 and £65 dependant on whats needed. I know Richardsons of Halesworth, didn't charge a friend of mine to fit his gun when he brought it from them. They simply took the measurements there and then, did what they had to to the gun and gave him a ring to collect it. All part of the service they said.

SS

I'm no expert, but watching a shooting DVD last night, "the expert" on there was using a brand new gun and he mentioned his face bruising up; and that he would look at reducing the comb of the gun.

It wasn't an adjustable comb so I presume a gunsmith would shave it down......