Dispatching shot birds

reedbradshaw

i shoot crows frequently and i allways "neck" a bird even if its a head shot to make sure its dead. however, the other day i was shooting crows and a dove landed so i shot that. when i necked that i pulled its head off :yahoo:

so now im a bit put off necking birds! but what do you all do ? nd can you give me some tips on necking the bird in a more efficient way.

sorry if this sounds too noncy, but feel free to take the mick if needs be :rolleyes: !

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always found pigeons and doves heads to be rather loosely attached compared to other birds. For example last week my Dad had to wring a seagull which was lying in a car park which couldn't fly or stand up. We think it hit the power lines overhead. Anyway he picked it up and it latched onto the palm of his hand and after a quick battle he won the fight and pulled it's neck. However he did say it was much tougher than other birds he had done in the past.

FM :rolleyes:

I did this with a woodpigeon some years ago, it had been shot and was still alive so I picked it up and the keeper told me to dispatch it, so I thought I would do the same as I do with crows and did what you did. The thing is I never used much effort.

DF

A lot of you might say its not humane, however i was never a fan of twisting necks, so i find a close range shot to the head with my anics skiff a3000 normally does the trick, quickly, quietly and effectively,

i dont know what your thoughts are on this however my arguement is that to pick up a bird smother its head before twisting, is causing unnesesary distress to the already wounded animal, so without needing to touch the bird a shot to the head dispatches it instantly without fail.

This also works with rabits should the primary shot not be perfect.

A cheap preist works great just a quick tap across the back of the head and job done, great for fish and bunnys aswell as birds !

Although when roost shooting on the odd occasion ive bought a bird down winged iv found that they can run a bit quicker than me esp when they are dashing under fallen trees and plants etc. Makes sense having the dog then, although bryn being a terrier and showing no signs of shaking etc yet is good but when it comes to the real thing i think nature will come and take over. so any sugestions on catching a winged bird would help esp when no ground game is allowed for the safty of others in the wood. :rolleyes:

A lot of you might say its not humane, however i was never a fan of twisting necks, so i find a close range shot to the head with my anics skiff a3000 normally does the trick, quickly, quietly and effectively,

i dont know what your thoughts are on this however my arguement is that to pick up a bird smother its head before twisting, is causing unnesesary distress to the already wounded animal, so without needing to touch the bird a shot to the head dispatches it instantly without fail.

So how does this work with Shotguns???

Why would you want to dispatch a shot bird with a shotgun?:rolleyes:?:yahoo:?:yahoo:?:yahoo:?

Why would you want to dispatch a shot bird with a shotgun?:rolleyes:?:yahoo:?:yahoo:?:yahoo:?

No you say that you find that a close range shot with your rifle does the trick, but you not gonna shoot birds out of the sky with a rifle are you?

So what am I basically saying is how you supposed to dispatch a wounded bird when you have only got a shotgun with you?

It's my personal opinion if you can't bare to do it with your hands if need be then you shouldn't be out in the field in the first place.

While I agree that at times a second shot can be better when dealing with rats, foxes, and unless your Pin, squirrels or maybe when stopping a wounded creature reaching cover and when the birds are decoying fast it saves breaking the cover of a hide however... There will be times when it's not safe or practical to be shooting at targets on the floor and with an airgun a moving quarry species can take some hitting, possibly prolonging suffering. :rolleyes:

Lets face it, at typical shotty or airgun range it won't take long to reach wounded quarry and simply dispatching it by hand can prevent alot of meat damage or even further suffering if your second shot goes astray.

For rabbits my preferred method is to neck them both after being shot as a matter of course like Reed does with birds and while out ferreting. Although sometimes when ferreting if they are very well tangled in the net I will just use a priest with a blow to the back of the skull as this will prevent the stress of being handled while untangling and also the chances are on some warrens that when one bunny bolts there is going to be more shortly so dispatching them quickly is of vital importance. I also give anyone that is ferreting with me a priest if they don't have the strength to dispatch a bunny quickly and humanely.

For small/medium birds pulling their neck or a priest does the job if you are worried about having a bit of the bird in both hands.

Squirrels, another shot if safe, otherwise applying pressure with the back of your boot to the back of their head and pulling the body firmly is quick and clean.

Rats, another shot or I usually have a stout stick ready incase.

FM :yahoo:

With woodies you can also clamp your fingers down on each side of the bird collapsing the lungs, or you can exert pressure 1/3 of the way up the back from the base of tail- breaking the backbone and piercing the heart, keep pressure applied. A priest is often the most efficient way, and is what I use for situations.

What's wrong with standing on it's skull? Pretty quick, and I'd imagine less painful than several unsuccessful neck-wringing attempts?

That won't work in woods or on soft soil, you will just push the head into the ground. Holding the body and cracking the skull on a tree or fence post is as good a way as any if you can't master wringing the neck.

I just rip their heads off! I know it may sound a little disrespectful or over the top but I tried the twist thing a couple of times and didn't do a good job. With the head off it's dead and out of pain quickly, which is all that matters to me :rolleyes:

Why would you want to dispatch a shot bird with a shotgun?:good:?:good:?:oops:?:stupid:?

No you say that you find that a close range shot with your rifle does the trick, but you not gonna shoot birds out of the sky with a rifle are you?

So what am I basically saying is how you supposed to dispatch a wounded bird when you have only got a shotgun with you?

I see where you have got confused, the anics skif A300 is a gas opperated .177 air pistol..... (i take it you thought it was a rifle????) :good:

Very good question.

I been meaning to ask this question for a while but thought that I may sound a bit cruel etc, so didnt ask, and saw it this morning.

I dont really take the head off, but IF the bunny or pigeons are still alive when I get to them after shooting them, I quickly cut the neck, without taking the head off. a bit of blood comes out, but I been doing this for over 20 years now, and always used this method. Bunnies and pigeon die very quickly, and no need to struggle trying to break the neck off etc. My knife is sharpened every time before I go in the field, as a dull knife is just bad and causes unnecessary delay and pain. Usually its the bone, that keeps the head attached to the body, so I stop as soon as I feel the bone while cutting. takes seconds to do, and quick to finish them off.

This may sound strange but I personally dont really feel good about shooting at animals/birds when they are already down and slowly dying, cos no challange etc (but as I say it may only be me). and shooting 2nd time with an airgun at something that is runing or moving isnt that easy.

Many Thanks for the replies.

so what do you use for preists ? do you make your own or buy them especially ?

i quite like the idea of using a preist in future is the head incident happens again!

any links etc ? ? ?

many thanks in advance

Reed

I just cant beleve some of the posts on here about killing wounded birds. Why on earth would anyone want to shoot with an air rifle\stamp on its head or carry a priest \ knife ? I was taught when I was 11 years old how to wring a birds neck cleanly , and quickly before i was allowed to use a shotgun to shoot it. Just put 2 fingers ( one each side of the neck ) around the neck twist 2 turns and its dead. It takes about 1 1\2 seconds to do the job and works with anything from snipe to a goose.

Just got back from a quick shoot and i did what i normally do just a little softer this time on the doves i shot. im now confident on this. thanks for all your advice.

by the way today was the first time the farmer let me use his shotgun. ive only ever shot rabbit before or clays with a shotgun, never a bird in flight. allthough i only had 2 shots i ended up with 2 doves. :good:

still, 2 doves less on his farm :good:

thanks for all your advice !

you can exert pressure 1/3 of the way up the back from the base of tail- breaking the backbone and piercing the heart, keep pressure applied.

Teal, I read about this is John Batleys book and tried it out, it definately works well, but I felt that to pick the bird up, find ideal place and then do it took to long, and no quarry whatsoever deserves to suffer any longer than necessary. Only my opinion and as I said it definately works. I have used a priest as well at times (i.e. a heavy stick), and again works extremely well

Just put 2 fingers ( one each side of the neck ) around the neck twist 2 turns and its dead. It takes about 1 1\2 seconds to do the job and works with anything from snipe to a goose.

The method I most prefer for Pigeon and Game and the one I am most comfortable with. However I draw the line at a winged goose, preferring to use a heavy object such as a priest/stick or tiller extension. With a goose flapping around on the mud, its difficult to get near without causing more stress.

At the end of the day, the best method without a doubt is to ensure your aim is true and straight, and that no out of range shooting takes place. But we all know that sometimes, birds jinking at the last second, mean winged bird, rather than a dead bird, so in that instance, respect should be shown and the quarry dispatched in the most humane method that you know and are comfortable with. If in doubt, get someone who can show you first before trying it yourself and causing unneeded suffering.

SS