Dispatching shot birds

reedbradshaw

How can you guarantee a clean kill with a shotgun and a bird in flight???

You cant!!! simple, you might give to much lead / too little lead and just clip it... you might be slightly to high or slightly to low and just clip it... all you have to to is clip a bird and they will come down.

Ofcourse nobody is perfect and it cant be avoided so the need to know how to dispatch is relevant, therefore i dont think there is such thing as a guaranteed clean kill with bird shooting....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got feed up with heads coming of pigeons when necking...does seem to be mainly pigeons...it is of putting...now days I carry a priest...saying that ...while I had my machine gun (semi auto) out decoying I carried some old bangers ( carts that got wet or real cheap or free ones) and shoot them again if i could see them..saved chasing them around and getting out of the hide..proberbly not very pc but quick and meaning full.

Edited by kenny23

Many Thanks for the replies.

so what do you use for preists ? do you make your own or buy them especially ?

i quite like the idea of using a preist in future is the head incident happens again!

any links etc ? ? ?

many thanks in advance

Reed

get apice of hazel about 6-8 inch long and about 1 -1/12 inch thick and you have a priest

crows bang em on the nearest tree i bite pigeons heads just put in you mouthsideways and bite not two hard though as brains and blood dont taste to good you can do almost any bird like this but end of season peasants hurt your teeth a bit might sound crude but works fast and as humain as i can see

Edited by bjlfishing

i shoot crows frequently and i allways "neck" a bird even if its a head shot to make sure its dead. however, the other day i was shooting crows and a dove landed so i shot that. when i necked that i pulled its head off :lol:

so now im a bit put off necking birds! but what do you all do ? nd can you give me some tips on necking the bird in a more efficient way.

sorry if this sounds too noncy, but feel free to take the mick if needs be :lol: !

Nonce :/ just keep necking them, (hold the head and wind, like you are stiring a cup of tea) 2/3 twists, necks broken, its clean, its quick and It works :blink: .

Edited by chrispti

If the bird lands a good distance away i sometimes find the best way is to shoot them again, that way they are not stressed and in pain whilst I get to them or most of the time have to dig them out of the dam hedge :good:

On the occasions I get to them and they are alive I just use an old branch and tap them on the head.

• 3 weeks later...
i remember the 1st time i had to ring a pigeons neck.....

the head fell off and bled everywhere :good:

Did that with a duck once. Tough little *******.

But it did make me feel a fool walking back with other members of the syndicate, as they were all carrying their quarry by the necks..

I now use a priest. ( well 9' of armoured cable wrapped in masking tape )

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit that although I use a Priest for most of my game dispatching. I have found that by far the toughest quarry has got to be Mallard.

The number of times I have thought that I had dispatched the duck only to find that it had crawled off.

I have tried most of the ways sudggested but I have yet to master one that is perfect for duck. :whistling:

Edited by rossandjet

• 2 weeks later...
I must admit that although I use a Priest for most of my game dispatching. I have found that by far the toughest quarry has got to be Mallard.

The number of times I have thought that I had dispatched the duck only to find that it had crawled off.

I have tried most of the ways sudggested but I have yet to master one that is perfect for duck. ???

Don't hit them on the head. They'll empty like a tap.

Break their necks with your hands, get a firm grip around, and push his head upwards with your thumb on the back of his head till it clicks..

I know this sounds macabre, but can we actually have a few piccies of someone doing the proper neck wringing job using the approved method?

Doesn't have to be on a game bird - can just be a chicken. :oops:

Then we can get it pinned and we can avoid getting it wrong, prolonging the suffering, or having to shoot a bird again that you really want to be wringing, paunching and eating!

Kind regards

Tufty

• 3 weeks later...

Let's make it 6 pages then!!!! Here's a poser...... Clearing out my Uncles place after he died, i have found a really old looking leather cosh (Think they used to be called blackjacks - He was a bit of a rocker back in the day), which would be perfect for a wee whack on the noggin - It's about 6 inches long and shaped like a long tongue with a weighted end which i presume is filled with lead material. The question i have is are they legal to carry? Would obviously only carry it whilst out shooting and not in the local Tesco, so i can show "good cause".

Any ideas?

I tried giving their noggin a knockin' but i found no matter how hard i hit them it wouldn't do the job in one go (if their heads were upright), so i asked an old hand at it and he showed me that technique squeezing under the wings to decomprerss the chest/cut off the blood supply and that killed all of the ones i tried it on in under 5 seconds. I might give that skull crushing a go next time though as i think that'll be even quicker.

Fatcatsplat - I've asked this of a few plod at my local clay ground and they say as long as you have a valid reason why you've got it on you at the time you'll be ok, so dispatching birds, if you're out shooting would qualify. Just remember to take it out of your pocket when you go to Tesco!!

Mark