Dispatching shot birds

reedbradshaw

Last time I necked a bird, it cost me a chinese meal and 6 lagers!

Also, I went shooting once, and the local vicar came along as well, because I could'nt find a priest!

lol steve ,good answer,and knowwhere your coming from :)

personally ,when i do wing a bird,if it starts to run off,i shoot it again from around 15 yds,all over immedeatley.if it sits still,if a crow i pick it up,and knock his head on stone or tree,and dies straight away,if pigeon ,i hold by kneck and swing body in cirular movements and that sort s them out quickly.every one gonna have their own way really,aslong as its quick as possible ,no worries. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought a humane killer - like a set of pliers that you just place round the neck and squeeze - works like a treat. they are used in the poultry trade and cost about £22 - no more heads twisted off!!!!

Dispatching pliers.

Sqeeze around the neck, quick flick & the wieght of the body hanging down does the trick.

well i have never known such a fuss over necking birds .why dont ye take a vice clamp and clamp them to a tree and put a tow rope round there heads and pull with ya 4x4 's sure that would work. i took some stick over a safe shot on a fox which died from the shot some 60 yards away but talk of beheadings beatings secound shots .i was advised not to shoot unless i was sure it was go :hmm::hmm: ing to be a clean kill ? well looks like only applies to fox . o by the way i crack mine over the head with a short hard bit of tree

i shoot crows frequently and i allways "neck" a bird even if its a head shot to make sure its dead. however, the other day i was shooting crows and a dove landed so i shot that. when i necked that i pulled its head off :D

so now im a bit put off necking birds! but what do you all do ? nd can you give me some tips on necking the bird in a more efficient way.

sorry if this sounds too noncy, but feel free to take the mick if needs be :good: !

A quick 'chop' to the back of the neck/ head :lol::good:

• 1 month later...

:lol:

A VERY GOOD QUESTION ...

This one concerned me too, so I asked a veteran pigeon shooter who told me an Excellent QUICK solution !!

Hold the pigeons head in your hand, placing thumb on top of its head

AND PRESS DOWN HARD INTO SCULL with your thumb.

It dispatches quickly and keeps pigeon in good nick to be used in decoy pattern !!!

All pigeons, especially young ones have a soft top of the head.

I find this quick and the least distressing for the bird.

ALTERNATIVELY, get close and shoot it again, but a bit messy !!!

Dudemonkey

What a load of fannying around :lol:

Put your little finger and the finger next to it into your palm, now put your index and middle fingers round one side of the neck and your thumb around the other and grip just enough that you feel the bird breathing, after a few seconds the bird is dead with no mess and no fannying about.

Like a snake grips it's prey, when the bird exhales out your finger will instinctively grip a bit more, because the bird has been blasted out of the sky and hit the deck like a brick and is now being manhandled he's a little bit out of breath due to the shock.

So, in simple terms, walk to non dead, pick it up with your thumb and his two neighbours and after a few seconds put it in your game bag :lol:

It's so easy a TMNT could do it:

tmnt-posters.jpg

Disclaimer

It doesn't not work on pheasants that well, although if using a rifle to hunt them they will be dead after the first shot anyway :lol:

What a load of fannying around :yes:

Put your little finger and the finger next to it into your palm, now put your index and middle fingers round one side of the neck and your thumb around the other and grip just enough that you feel the bird breathing, after a few seconds the bird is dead with no mess and no fannying about.

Like a snake grips it's prey, when the bird exhales out your finger will instinctively grip a bit more, because the bird has been blasted out of the sky and hit the deck like a brick and is now being manhandled he's a little bit out of breath due to the shock.

So, in simple terms, walk to non dead, pick it up with your thumb and his two neighbours and after a few seconds put it in your game bag :)

It's so easy a TMNT could do it:

tmnt-posters.jpg

Disclaimer

It doesn't not work on pheasants that well, although if using a rifle to hunt them they will be dead after the first shot anyway :yes:

Very good tip that, as I normally wring their necks or bash them. Also you never forget your fingers as you may with a tool. :good:

• 3 weeks later...

For pigeon, duck and all smaller feathered game I bite their heads. I was shown the trick many years ago by a retired professional puntgunner. Hold the bird by the beak and give a quick, firm nip with the eye teeth placed just behind and above the birds eyes. You need to bite hard enough to crush the skull and destroy the nervous system, but not so hard that you get a mouthful of brains. You`ll get it right on about the third attempt after which it becomes second nature.

As a method it has a number of advantages. No special tools are required. The carcase is not decapitated, the eyes are not knocked out nor is the head severed from the body inside the skin. The bird is not spattered with blood and it can be done with one hand, useful if you`re miles from land on the mudflats and carrying a "cripple stopper" which you can`t put down on the mud.

It works well on pigeon and leaves a bird that is apparently completely unmarked which the game dealers seem to appreciate. It is quick, discrete, respectful to the quarry and the chosen method of market hunters for generations.

Nick.

For pigeon, duck and all smaller feathered game I bite their heads.

It is quick, discrete, respectful to the quarry and the chosen method of market hunters for generations.

Yep, I can't think of anything more respectful than biting a bird to death.

For the love of God - this is a wind up, right?? 4 pages of how to dispatch wounded game??? :/ :blink:

Edited by Cushat

Not a wind up on my part, but if you want my opinion, some of those chaps who are talking about Mills bombs and RPG`s ARE being humorous. Those cheeky monkeys!

The "respectful" was more of a philosophical thing, you know, a quick,nervous system destroying bite to the head as against much flailing,twisting,twirling and smashing. Each to his own, although the woodcock head biter mentioned earlier was probably another older and more experienced shooter.

At least the chap who raised the query in the first place now knows more than before he asked.

Nick.

i use a .410 with magnums

For dispatch????? :hmm::hmm::P

I wouldnt have thought you would need to worry about dispatching anyway, given that you use 50g BB's for everything.

Given that and the "fact" that you use .410 shells for a job which can be done by hand, you must be so rich that you could probably afford to hire Ozzy to pick up for you.

:good::oops::good::yes:

ZB