Deerhunter Montana jacket.

apbuild

Had my Deerhunter Montana jacket delivered today.

I can honestly say this jacket is amazing and I've not yet worn it outside. All of the different combinations with the Fleece lining and the outer jacket, the abundance of pockets (I think it has ten pockets in total), and the sheer feel of the jacket are brilliant.

Can't wait to wear it out in the hide when it's lashing down or -5 degrees.

Highly recommended.

Rob.

:huh:???

Rob, glad you're pleased. ???

I've finally found out what the 5 in 1 stuff is all about...from the Deerhunter website:

"The ”Montana” 5 in 1 jacket

The Montana jacket is produced in micro suede with a water-repellent peach finish and mesh lining. The jacket has ventilation under arms, a variety of adjustments, adjustable cuffs in neoprene, extra long back, double closure at front zipper and 9 functional pockets, including a radio pocket and a big game pocket. The big game pocket is also able to contain the detachable Deer-Tex® membrane and the polar fleece jacket.

5 in 1 means that the ”Montana” jacket offers five different options for me:

Jacket no. 1: Outer jacket + Deer-Tex® membrane + polar fleece jacket: for cold and rainy days.

Jacket no. 2: Outer jacket + Deer-Tex® membrane: for windy and rainy days.

Jacket no. 3: Outer jacket + polar fleece jacket: for cold and dry days.

Jacket no. 4: Outer jacket: for dry days.

Jacket no. 5: Polar fleece jacket: for relaxing."...

PHEW!! :huh:

Rob,

I'd leave the zips mate...if you spray them, it may adversley affect the outer shell, or even the waterproof membrane...to be honest, we've had no problems with ours and we wear them all the time in some real sh1tty weather.

I suppose they might leak if you stood out in the pouring rain with your hands above your head for a couple of hours, but you probably wouldn't need to do that unless you were very bored.

Don't use detergent if you wash it though, just plain old water in the machine on a hand wash cycle...detergents are very nasty to waterproof drop liners :lol:

• 1 month later...

Rob,

Having had a bit of spare time today, and seeing as my plain green (gameshooting) montana had gotten a bit minging, I decided to have a good look at the jacket prior to washing and realised a couple of things that may be of interest to you:

1. The jacket will NOT leak even if the underarm zips are left fully open AND you hold your arms above your head! This is because the waterproof membrane is on the inside of the zips. I know it won't leak because I opened the zips fully and gave the area a good blast with a house plant spray mister to simulate a good soaking during a wet day in the field. I placed a piece of kitchen roll on the inside of the coat...still bone dry after an hour! :)

2. As the waterproof membrane is detachable, and doesn't hold any odour, simply remove it prior to washing the outer coat/fleece...this way it should last years!

I still wouldn't recommend ordinary washing powders though as they contain bleach which will cause the jacket to fade over time...just use something like 'lux' soap flakes, they do a really good job. :D

p.s. yes, I realise I'm a sad b@stard and need to get out more!! :thumbs:

Hey guys.

I have a ram jacket too and it leaks at the same points as remytherussell point's out. It was pretty good up until the end of last years hind season but i think i wore out the elbows with all the crawling. Just waiting for my new Duck Dri jacket to come. Have a look at the Wearite/ milair jackets. The underkeeper here got one before the stag's this year, Seems not too bad at £95.

Mine is actually the Ram jacket. The zips have no internal membrane and DO leak in persistant rain. As the water runs under arms and seeps through the zips.

I have the RAM, or it is supposed to be, and I can't find any zips under the arms!

There are zips on the handwarmer pockets close by though.