delicate problem

digger

my lab bitch is thirteen months old,well settled into her place in the house and her posistion in our "pack".she is very well behaved in all respects and a lovely biddable dog.i have two girls who adore her,she favours my youngest of four years old.trouble is this affection has now led the dog to try to"mount" my little one.its either when she first comes in the room or if she is kneeling on the floor.

its happened several times and each time i have been able to call the dog and gently reprimand her.sorry to go on but its really disturbing me.is it a phase ?

Not a phase digger,

Your bitch knows where she is in the pack but wants to issue a challenge to climb higher in the rankings, thats why she picks on the smallest of the pack.

Younger girls are more at risk because of their gentler nature in not fighting back the problem wont go away until your youngster is taller and the bitch sees her as a too larger challenge to take on.

I don't know the nature of your bitch but very strongly recommend you don't leave the two of them together alone.

Is your bitch due in season ??

Has she just started this behaviour in the last week or so ??

May just be a hormone change .... but I doubt it.

Not to dissimilar to a dog that deliberately cocks it's leg and pi**es on you.

It's a threat to see how you respond .... get in there quick and give her a good shake by the neck .... be robust and let her know who's boss.

jimdfish is too gentle and will allways have problems with his nympho because she just gets a command without a physical response .. all bark and no bite.

The subtle bit is to be assertive and not cruel.

Good luck mate.

Rr,she is very good natured,very gentle with both kids and never gives me cause for concern.she had her first season two months ago.i watch the two of them like a hawk and it only seems to happen once a day,once reprimanded she doesnt do it again.when out walking she rarely leaves little ones side and if another dog is about she will stand next to her as if protecting her,though there is never any raised hackles or growling.i had to have my previous dog put down after he bit a child,despite having never done so in eight years.that is something i will never forgive myself for,at the end of the day it was my fault in some way.

Interesting point roger rabbit as we have a collie just as a pet and he has had the chop , Yet still humps duvets,fleece jackets and the girlfriends leg , but only if she is wearing the fleece or using the duvet . He never try's it on with anyone else or me (not that I want him to mind) . ???

To be honest I do find it amusing :huh: