Rabbit shooting

Dave

.22 is fine for rabbits, but .177 is far better for longer range head shots.  The flatter trajectory .177 will put bunnies lights out consistently to 60 yards in the right hands. .22 has a larger curved trajectory which at longer ranges can make your pellet look like a dropping cannonball and is not great for dead cert head shots, essential with airguns on bunnies.

There are many s/h airguns about.  Personally I would look no further than Air Arms, Daystate or Weihrauch.

As regards scopes get a semi decent one as this will makre th job a lot easier.  I would look no further than a Tasco or Simmons.  A magnification of anything arround 6 upwards is grand.

Personally .22 is the slighly better caliber mainly because it transfers its energy very well and tends not to exit as much. But both calibers will do the good just aswell as the other both will be as affective at max ranges of 55/60yards at 12ft/lb. Though .177 may be flatter shooting but the .22 tends to hang on to its power at longer ranges. So whatever you choice yyou wont be disapointed.

If your ona budget and want a spring gun then you can go far wrong with a BSA Lightning, Air Arms Pro Elite, Air Arms TX200, HW 97k or if you fancy a PCP then a Air ARms 200 is the best entry level sporter IMO.

I reccomend whatever you buy have a look at JSRamsbottoms range they stock most quality rifles at a really great price.

James

Thanks for all your replies.

The budget I have is around £50 (I am a poor student!).

If this is no good I may be able to stretch to £100 but that will mean a few more months saving :0(

Just an idea but is there any generous people online who have a gun they don't use? I could give it a good home!

Thanks

David

Yes, I'm tempted, but I want to see one and try it before I buy one.

If your budget is only about £50, I would look at getting an old Webley, BSA or Diana, rather than one of the new Chinese things you can get for about £50 at the moment (which aren't worth the effort).  There's a lot of farmers and other folks who have old webleys or BSAs stashed away somewhere, and if you ask around / put an ad in your local farm store or paper, you should get some replies.  Remember to try out before you buy!