Adult gun dog wanted

JONO

Wotcher,

My other half and I are looking for a pet-come-gundog and can't cope with the time demands of training a pup (much as we would love one).

We're tempted to go to a rescue centre in the hope of perhaps striking lucky and are registering with both the spaniel and labrador rescue charities but I'm wondering if there might be any trained ex-breeding dams (or sires) out there - surplus to requirements etc. In fact the dog wouldn't have to even be a FTCH etc - just from a good working strain...

We'd look at spaniels, labs, munsterlanders, pointers (any type) retrievers - anything that'll jump in a pond after duck, work a hedge and be fed the odd titbit as a welcome family pet.

So any tips on how to pick up and give a 1/2 decent gundog a decent home and some fields to roam in...?

We're Bristol-based but would travel for the right dog/price/arrangement...

Ta in advance

Jon

Hi Jono,

I have sent you a PM with a few numbers that may be worth a call.

At this time of year good dogs are snapped up quickly and command a good price, it may be worth waiting until the end of the season when you will see a few more dogs become available.

If you buy a trained or part trained dog make sure you get a full demo in various situations, take some cold game with you and ask to see the dog retrieve it (seen & blind), watch how well the dog retrieves it and check for any damage.

Make a note of all the commands used verbal, hand and whistle plus whistle type!

Ask if it is OK to call to ask questions if you have any problems in the future!

If you buy from a pro trainer ask if they will throw in a lesson or two!

Ask to see the KC papers!

Ask if it is chipped, ask for the paperwork!

If you’re not buying from a trainer or breeder ask why the dog is being sold and make sure your happy with that reason. If you’re not sure about any part of the demo ask for the dog to do it again, if you’re still not happy leave it. Also I would expect a person who is selling a gundog to have a number of dogs, maybe in to trialling or moves a dog or two on to put money in the pot to help pay for their interest. Again ask for the KC papers.

Always go to their house don’t meet up somewhere, if you go to their house you can see how the dog has been kept!

Don’t rule a rescue dog out but I think your chances of dropping on a good one are slim. I have had 2 rescue springers in the past and consider myself lucky as after a lot of time and work they both turned out to be very good working dogs. I had one at 15 months and the other was 18 months old, both had a poor start in life and needed a lot of input to get the best out of them. If you don’t have the time to train a pup you may well struggle with a rescue dog depending on it’s past experiences in life!

Also bare in mind that when you buy a fully trained dog it still needs a lot of input to maintain it at that level.

When you do purchase your new dog get it registered with your vet and checked over and chipped if needed.

Hope this helps!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers!