Bait casting

digger

Does anyone on here use a baitcasting reel ? Im not a fan of multipliers but like the deadly accuracy these small reels offer. My biggest worry is the reel may suffer from over run and I will end up taking it half way round the world only to wish I had taken the baitrunner.

I will be fishing with lures up to 2oz using a shimano exage travel rod, can these small reels be used on a standard rod ? Im taking two rods so will have a fixed spool for the days at sea and eary morning dead bait sessions but fancy the baitcaster for work amongst the "mangroves". Any advice appreciated :look:

Edited by digger

hi Digger. the small baitcasters really need a rod designed for it, as they have the finger piece built in. BUT, there is nowt to say you cant use em.

do you have your kit already? i fished mangrove areas a few weeks ago, and found i could still hit the mark with a FS and that was on 1oz. if you aint bought your kit yet, let me know and ill have a root round me garage and see what i can spare :look:

i use a daiwa 7ht have done for donkeys years learn how to control it and casts of 150 yards are usual .

but i allways have a spare for over run cos even me not perfect :good::lol::lol: :look:

boo, hiss :lol:

its funy how you either go Abu or Daiwa. ive always used mag elites, and after many an over-run, got the hang of it, then whipped the mags out :look:

Thanks for the replies gents. Taking what I took last year which is two exage travel rods with areo gt baitrunners and a load of lures, a selection of sabiki rigs and some decent hooks. I usually buy the hooks in boxes of 100 and swap them for bait fish or pass them on to the local fishermen when I leave.

Are multipliers better at handling big fish from the shore ? I have hooked tarpon that stripped line like a missile and unknown fish that have straightened hooks before I could adjust the drag. Hooked, not landed :look:

Thanks for the replies gents. Taking what I took last year which is two exage travel rods with areo gt baitrunners and a load of lures, a selection of sabiki rigs and some decent hooks. I usually buy the hooks in boxes of 100 and swap them for bait fish or pass them on to the local fishermen when I leave.

Are multipliers better at handling big fish from the shore ? I have hooked tarpon that stripped line like a missile and unknown fish that have straightened hooks before I could adjust the drag. Hooked, not landed :look:

multi's can be better, but its one of those things. they both handle differently, but they can give you that bit more umph when needed. another tip, is try and use eagle claw hooks, or any good make of circle hook. :look:

I would not be without my multipliers.

Got a Abu with a level wind which i use when mackerel fishing and a Mag Elite which i use for winer codding, as i dont have to keep winding it in so muck.

I also just brought a 6 Shooter for a bit of spinning ...

Birds nest only happen if i forget to stop the line as the weight hits the water or if i have the clutch to loose on my first cast, but thats all part of the fun.

I would never be without them to be honest

Cheers

Ian

i use a mag elite for beachwork, light and heavy. then go for a big Penn GT on the winter boats.

im out for smoothys next month, and ill be using my 7000 level wind with big braid.

ive got loads of other bits, might stick em on sale, see what comes of it.

All my sea reels (12) are multipliers, from Abu5500C's up to Shimano TLD30's.

The way to prevent a multiplier over running on the cast is, put whatever weight you intend to use on the end of the line and adjust the brake, so that the weight falls slowly to the floor.

Now take it outside with that setting and cast it as far as you can, it won't over run.

But dont you know it when you burn the top of your thunb :look:

Especially when you still have the rest of the day to fish :good:

Once I used a Multi there was no going back to a fix spool, infact i find them difficult to cast with now.

And been told the Herring are in at Chesil, so they may get an outing very soon :look:

got mine from the US, sent over. the shop loaded it with braid for me for free, but it cuts in a bit. nothing better than a big cast with a multi, and knowing its a good one :look: SPLOSH! :look:

But dont you know it when you burn the top of your thunb :look:

Especially when you still have the rest of the day to fish :good:

Once I used a Multi there was no going back to a fix spool, infact i find them difficult to cast with now.

And been told the Herring are in at Chesil, so they may get an outing very soon :look:

around here its nearly time for smoothounds and big plaice. need to get as many peelers as poss. :lol:

Doggies are good to have ago at, but i do like the Flat Fish also.

I know its a way for some of you guys but Brixham in Devon fishing light tackle with Worm for Wrase is got to be the best fun i have ever had...

I remember as a Kid going fishing with an old geezer on berrow sands with a devise which was best described as 2 x cane sticks crossed over with a net hung in between and on the end of each of the sticks was a corner of a car bumper, metal is those days.

He use to walk up and down the beach just below waist height in the sea and he would scoop endless supplies of Prawns and flat fish into his net...use to stop every now and then and just lift the net up and bagged his catch.

I had ago, a couple of times with him and caught more that way then i was with the rod

If I buy a multiplier I would be looking to get a couple of casting lessons. I have a mate who uses them who reckons Im too thick to learn so dont all rush at once !

From reading the above the reel is slowed when the bait hits the water, is the brake applied by use of the thumb ? I have tried asking in a couple of tackle shops and been treated like an idiot :look:

I will not even touch on level wind systems and despite a trip to Norway on the cod have no plans to go anywhere near braid.

its one of them things digger that you really have to get on a feild and try it. just before the bait slows to come down, by the time you have put your thumb back on the spool, its at the water and you have stoped it overrunning. takes a bit of work to get right, but once you have, you wont use a FS again.

dont get one with a LW one it for beach work, as the leader knot can stick in it, resulting in a crackoff. LW mainly for boats ect.