Cat attack

lurcherboy

LB

This happened to me some years ago when I was looking after a friends German Shepherd.. The damn thing was let into the garden and got out through a gate left open by I Know not whom.

The cat was badly injured and the owner not happy at all even though it was on the street and not in her property at the time of the attack.

It was difficult to prove that I had been negligent in not having the dog under proper control but I dont doubt if the lady had proceeded with a civil action or even claimed against my friends Public Liability insurance ( Part of his pet plan Cover) she would have been successful.

In the end I defused the situation by offering to pick up her vets bill which was £235.00 (Ouch) This is part of the reason why I hate cats so much. ( Stinking things)

I may be corrected but I think that you are liable under current legislation to ensure that your dog is kept under proper control at all times, The fact that it is a cat is immaterial it could easily have been a toddler.

This is particulary obtuse as we all know that cats and dogs are mortal enemies and it is difficult to stop a dog from chasing a cat, particularly a hunting dog like a lurcher which makes your case even more sticky. If it were a Pekinese, Chow or Cavalier you might just get away with it.

FM.

PS. If you can come and get my gunsafe open I will come andd dispatch the cat for free... :lol:

I would imagine LB that the law would be with the cat owner, as you are responsible for keeping your dog under controll. :< I once had a large female Redtail hawk kill a cat that had come into my garden to stalk her, I had no idea who owned this cat and I must admit that although the law might have been on my side, I didn't take any chances and just put the cat on the road to make it look like it had been run over :*) What we need are more details, does this cat live near you? Did anyone see this happen? Could you visit the owner to explain? etc.

Peregrine

Hard to say, cats are subject to different rules to dogs.

As said elsewhere you may find yourself open to a charge of failure to control.

The cat owner would probably have a case against you for costs.

Might be best to try to come to an arrangement with the owner?

Of course if it were my cat, you wouldn't need to worry. I'd have shot your dogs by now and be residing at Her Majesties Pleasure.

Flying off on a tangent guys, did anyone see the news story the other night about the young children who have been sent a solicitors letter telling them to stop putting milk and bread out for the hedgehogs?

Apparently a neighbours cat keeps eating and drinking the food and getting the runs, so they are threatening court action if it doesn't stop.

How pathetic are some people?

Obviously nothing better to do with their time!!!!!!!!!

hi lurcherboy

my lurcher got a cat in someone in the streets garden. i briefly looked into the options and it would appear that your pet insurance 3rd party liability cover may cover it, however they would have to take you to court.

the way i saw it i had 2 options either stood my ground and told them to ****** off or to bite the bullet and pay up and apologise. i ended up footing the bill, my dog my responsibility.

shes subsequently had a few more but in my garden. different story.

hope you resolve this peacefully

pete

O sod it any cat that attacks my dog can expect some of these things

1.BB guns are very good 4 cats, makes them lively

2.Mains electricity is also very good for their coats

3.Airguns often work wonders for cats that kill small birds

4.A shotgun/rimfire is good for a cat that survives all these things

(all jokes I must add :lol: )

crow :lol:

Thanks.

I posted at lunchtime and my time was short, I was also worried about the my bitch who got a few strips on her snout and belly, fortunetly she is ok.

Anyway, here's the full picture, as I understand it.

She went over a 6' fence at 05-45 and found the 'victim' in the road. She done the damage and then a neighbour who witnessed it, called her, put her on a lead, and delivered to me recounting what she saw. She also told the owner that she thinks she knows where the dog lives and the woman got my number from the dogtags.

Got home tonight and checked the answerphone (bloody dog tags) two messages recorded.

1st message, your going to pay my vet bills, obviously the owner was very angry.

2nd message, from a gaffa, can you call me Mr Duggan.

Spoke to a friend in the force who believes that as the animal escaped, and the victim was running free, not in a garden, it was a natural act and would not get me or my bitch in trouble.

But a civil action could be raised.

FM like the headline mate.

Crow, dissapointed in the jokes mate, I know you can do better.

LB :lol:

LB

Please teach your dog to kill cats, not mame them. The world will be a better place and it wont hit your pocket quite so hard!

Could it not be that the cat had been in your garden first, and your dog followed its natural instincts and given chase?

I feel half a vets bill may be in order.

webber

Thanks chaps. I have now resolved the situation with the help of a local plod who turns out to be a fellow shooter!

What a result the woman aplogised to me. :lol::/:P

Not bad YP but good do better :/

NO MORE POSTS REQUIRED

Can you close it Ern mate?

LB :lol: