air pistol

viking

hi guys, im after a air pistol for my lad to shoot cans and the like, only thing is i know nothing about them, do they take petets ball bearings or what, also i believe they come in air or gas powered, i want one of the replica types like a beretta or walther, and also do they come in differant powers. if so what is best, any advise would be most welcome,

cheers, lee

Get a basic spring powered pistol. .177 would be best as flatter shooting at lower powers. Single shot will encourage your lad to develop accuracy rather than blat away with a multi shot co2 gun.

There are plenty about, but if can stretch to a s/h webly tempest or similar, the quality will really show and, if looked after, will not depreciate in value.

are let the lad have some fun. i have a Walther p99 replica co2 powered cracking little gun the max legal limit 6flb takes metal ball barrings and deadly accurate. or if you lad wants be be bond then a ppk i did have one but sold it for the p99 some info here http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/WaltherPPK.html

Edited by InGen

The main types of guns are spring or co2 (gas) With a springer the action of cocking tensions a spring which shoots forward upon firing, driving a piston that produces pressure to fire a pellet. These are single shot. Check Webley, BSA, Westlake ect for different guns.

CO2 guns use a gas cartridge to produce pressure. These can be used for multi shot guns but the cartridges need to be relaced every 50 shots or so. More expensive, usually less powerful and condusive to trigger happy shooting.

For fun choose CO2, to learn shooting skills use a springer.

Pellets will travel up to 500yds, but only useful at less than 20! Gas usage depends on gun. Check out review sites for different models, but as you stated you didn't want a replica, I really think a springer would be a better, cheaper investment. For more power, try a Weirauch HW45 or BSA Magnum, tho a youngster may struggle to handle them safely.

as you stated you didn't want a replica
no he sayed he did want a replica

i want one of the replica types like a beretta or walther

Doh! My mistake. Sure, go for a multi shot co2 gun, you can get them for less than £50 new up to whatever you want to spend. Most produce less than 2.5ft/lbs of power except the Anics Skiff at 4 ft/lbs which has such a horrendous trigger pull that I doubt a youngster could hit a barn door! The only "full power" co2 guns are single shot like the Crosman and Sheridan models.

Good luck!

hi guys, im after a air pistol for my lad to shoot cans and the like, i want one of the replica types like a beretta or walther, and also do they come in differant powers. if so what is best, any advise would be most welcome,

cheers, lee

You need to do an internet search using the work "umarex". :rolleyes:

Jim

I have an ANIKS Skiff A3000, cracking gun i use it for dispatching mainly, plenty of power, 2yards from a rabit and it will go straight through, pigeons can be whiped out up to around 20 yards, can fire 28 shots in less than 10 secs easy, never jams 2 mags per capsual, looks great, shoots great, never leaks, i can put a capsual in today and in 2 weeks it will still fire as normal.

deffinatly reccommended :good::lol::good:

Doh! My mistake. Sure, go for a multi shot co2 gun, you can get them for less than £50 new up to whatever you want to spend. Most produce less than 2.5ft/lbs of power except the Anics Skiff at 4 ft/lbs which has such a horrendous trigger pull that I doubt a youngster could hit a barn door! The only "full power" co2 guns are single shot like the Crosman and Sheridan models.

Good luck!

wow, where can you get them for less than £50 new?

Good luck!

wow, where can you get them for less than £50 new?

CP99 sport (orange plastic) and Walther P38 (all steel but only fires BB's) can both be got for under £50. Personally just for plinking I'd get a blowback such as the PPK as they're a hoot to shoot! :yp:

I'd second the Weihrauch HW45.

I have the .22 version.

It also comes in .177 which I have heard has a 'half power' feature which supposedly can be used indoors.

It's a full power, single shot, spring air pistol: 6ft.lbs so you're not going to get anything more powerful.

Obviously it's only an air pistol but it'll kill rats at 10 yards and just about go through both sides of a tin can at 15yards.

It's a nice heavy gun if you like that sort of thing (I do). It's made of steel and it also looks the part. It even has a 'hammer'! Which is actually the latch that holds the barrel in place when firing.

It has a manual safety, which is my preference. Although for a youngster you may or may not want the option to turn the safety off permanently. Your choice. Some gun safety training is a must either way!

All in all, it's a great gun that's well made, tough and maintenance free inside and out. I've had a lot of enjoyment out of mine. It's pretty accurate too. It has a dovetail to fit a scope to, I've been happy using the built in adjustable sights personally though.

The only downside is that it's a bit hard to cock (that's the price you pay for power). My girlfriend can't actually load it because it does require a fair bit of strength. it'll also set you back almost £200 brand new :blush: Made to last though!

Edited by harpo_the_bad

You need to do an internet search using the work "umarex". :good:

Yep! :good:

They are probably the best manufacturer of C02 guns out there, but they are at times a bit costly. Not necessarily a bad thing if you want good quality...

My experience with Umarex guns has been a positive one!

have heard different replies here.

Baiscally the same needs but i want it to shoot, needs to be quite lightweight (just like pistols like that), high shot count, semi-auto, accurate and hard-wearing. Also needs to be cheap £60 max, was thinking of a ppk cos they sound good, how much are they?

Definitly needs to be a co2 cos i've already got a match pistol so its just for plinking

Thanks, HSH :lol:

Edited by HeadShotHoncho