Can you shoot fox with shotgun?

I have shot fox`s with rim fire rounds & with shot guns - Seeing as we are discussing shot guns:- I like it when the harvisting is on. I will use 6`s 32gr (RED) on the rabbits that run out but all ways also have in my shell belt BB`s 46gr (BLUE) the two different colours in the cartridges helps me make no mistake in what I am putting in.

If you get the chance to shoot during harvisting you will love it. The rabbits tend to run out straight away and continue to run out through out but I have found more times than not that the fox will wait up to the last 4/5 slices that are left the guy driving the combine normaly gives us the nodd that charlie is there any how & the farmer reves his trackter up to drive towards us all who are waitting and changing loads with entisipation. (sorry for my spelling mistakes if any but i am dislectic)

Hope this is of help to you & all the above is very good advise too.

Firstly: That's all some EXCELLENT advice. This thread could easily be turned in to an invaluable fox-hunting sticky!

I'm well aware that using heavy shot is the RESPONSIBLE thing to do where foxes are concerned, but from hunting foxes for several years and knowing people who hunt foxes I know that it's not what happens. At least most of the time and at least around here.

I use 3s and 4s for foxes and it stops them dead. Usually after one shot, but as others have said; give them everything you've got to make sure! Everyone else I know, including a couple of gamekeepers, never use anything that heavy for foxes. Although obviously they tend to pack a .222-50 or similar when they're out *specifically* for a fox. However, last year there was at least one fox here killed with a .22LR and at least one killed with a welly! I kid you not.

I'd also disagree that you'd lose your shooting permission at a minimum if the land owner found a shot riddled fox... Obviously that isn't the outcome anyone wants, but when you're after a fox that's been running amok over hundreds of acres of game estate for the last few weeks then many people will justify any shot. Even if you can't still see the fox when you pull the trigger. That's another big no no that you wouldn't normally commit. Personally I'm still not comfortable with it... I know many who don't think twice (and who would still do it if they had) when it's a fox though.

If you have a fox PROBLEM. That is... you really need to get rid of them ASAP rather than getting rid of them at your leisure for sport. Then I'd recommend learning to set snares. I don't know anyone who hunts foxes that has more success shooting than snaring. Obviously it's not nice and it demands even more responsibility (and SKILL) than shooting. But it's what gamekeepers with serious problems do to keep in business. On the plus side, from my experience, you often find the fox still alive and unharmed by the snare and all it takes is a painless shot to the noggin.

If you are going to use snares though, remember: NO DRAGS. And check those things at least once a day! Although saying that... I've know a few keepers who don't even follow those rules.

PS: Regarding losing permission by wounding a fox. I actually know a keeper who banned a paying gun from shooting on the estate because he refused to take a 'risky shot' at a fox.

Harpo before taking things a tad too personal, remember we have alot of inexperienced and young shots on here who have never attempted to shoot a fox, my advice is to them, if you cant take it out cleanly then dont risk your permission by possibly getting a reputation as a reckless shot.

As for your keeper banning a paying gun for deciding not to shoot a fox on a driven day unless he is the shoot owner he should remember who is paying his wages.

:yp: D2D

Harpo before taking things a tad too personal, remember we have alot of inexperienced and young shots on here who have never attempted to shoot a fox, my advice is to them, if you cant take it out cleanly then dont risk your permission by possibly getting a reputation as a reckless shot.

As for your keeper banning a paying gun for deciding not to shoot a fox on a driven day unless he is the shoot owner he should remember who is paying his wages.

:lol: D2D

Hi D2D!

My apologies! I didn't mean to pass on a message of irresponsibility. I only meant to point out what goes on in many places in the real world.

You are right: when at all possible you should only take responsible and safe shots. The practices I refer to are carried out in area well WELL away from any people (we try our best to keep trespassers out for this very reason). We also inform everyone who has permission to be on the land before EVERY SINGLE TIME we go out for foxes. If there were likely to be any people at all on the land then we'd never take 'blind' shots. And it's only done with foxes as the estate has a perpetual and somewhat career threatening problem with them!

At the end of the day; as mentioned before, you must remember that it's the landowner's policy as to whether you do shoot foxes or not. Also it's the landowner's policy as to what constitutes recklessness!

As for the guy who was banned for not taking that risky shot at a fox: it wasn't actually a driven shoot. He had paid to go 'deer stalking' with the keeper and a few others. The fox made a surprise appearance and the guy, very well within his rights, decided it wasn't a good enough opportunity to guarantee a clean kill.

A few of the 'good old boys' on the estate thought that it was a laughing matter and that the keeper did right. Personally I don't. I agree with you. If people didn't come to shoot (or for that matter to work the estate and drive the birds) then he wouldn't be there either! Many people have actually said that already about this particular keeper and I must admit that he's not my favourite person in the world... I suppose I mustn't grumble though... as I haven't been banned yet! :yp:

There is lots of good stuff written above...

I normally shoot foxes using 30grm of lead size 6 because I am standing/crouching on the edge of a pit waiting to see what gets flushed out. Normally rabbits but it could be anything then sometimes a fox comes straight at me, that's when he gets it up close. If for some reason he exits too far away and with his backside facing me.... then I let him go. If he is moderate distance say 25-35 yds then he gets 1 if he goes down then great but I'm ready to go for the second. sometimes if he rushes past your legs and behind you it can be so close that your first shot is on his rear and very close... not a great shot but ..... just wait a second as he will always look back after a few yards.... be ready for him to look at you and put your second shot in the head (normally fairly close - say up to 20 yards or so).

the main thing is to be safe with your shot and fair to the fox, any doubt.... let him go for another day. One a couple of occasions I've let him go only to get him later in another pit.

cheers

Malk

Harpo no need to apologise, we are after all on the same side and we want only to put across maybe the best ways of dealing with various situations.

We have had uproar only last year where some treehuggers found a half dead fox and the farmer was given a hard time over it. Thats why I say if its shot and doesnt go down it must be found immediately and disposed of.

On the subject of Foxes in general I have been laid up for a day or two and have been looking at my warrener video collection, one thing that strikes me in every vid is the way they carry the Fox carcasses, either by one rear foot or by the tail in both cases with their arms and elbows up above waistline..... think about it carrying a damn big dog fox weighing half a ton across two or more fields like that.

We carry ours by a diagonal front and rear foot with the arm at a comfortable length, far easier to walk any distance like that.

Anyone who seriously wants to shoot Foxes properly could do worse than get hold of some of his tapes, he may come across as an oaf but he certainly knows what hes doing.

:yp: D2D

:lol: Too true! Although rotting muntjac comes really close... and they have an outstanding knack for getting in our fox snares :yp: lucky thing the Gamekeeper wants the muntjac gone too! We learned quickly that it's a good idea to drag such things in to an area that you don't need to walk through daily.

not sure it's such a good idea to advertise the fact deer can get caught and die in a snare , with all the controversy over snaring foxes that is legit

since they have died from your hand as such or through a method you hav chosen ,albeit designed to trap a different animal, because they are cloven hoofed, they now become classed as fallen stock so cannot be passed on into the food chain in the way of sold privately or to a game dealer , (you can put it into your own freezer though) so diposal of the carcass legally has to be incinerated

such a shame that such a good source of meat is often lost in this way

our job is hard enough to prove right to the converted let alone the antis

but you are right they do stink almost about as bad as brock

• 1 year later...
Some hard and fast rules for actually doing it...

The wind, windier nights are best, it masks any noise you make getting close to the fox, you should have it so that it's coming from the fox to you or going across left or right but never going from you to the fox. It also helps to blow away the smoke after the first shot, trust me this can be a real problem on a calm night if you need a second shot.

The moon, it's best done on darker nights. The less the fox gets to see the better. Also be very aware of your siluhette (spelling), basically don't walk across the brows of hill so a fox lower than you will see you against the night sky, also take into account the light from nearby towns or villages.

If you get a safe shot within 40 yards, never hesitate, shoot. If there's even a flicker of doubt, shoot again, but aim, don't just pull the trigger for the sake of it. If you go out with a shotgun and foxy decides to get the hell out of Dodge, sitting pretty at 100 yards is no good to you.

You can stalk foxes. Over time and if you go out on the same patch with an experienced person you'll find or be told about their runs. Remember them, foxes are creatures of habit and will use these runs all the time.

On using calls and callers. Best time is when they're hungry, just come out of the den and I want food! They'll come in to you like guided missiles, if you're making the right sound. BUT and this is IMPORTANT. They'll stop at a point, and decide to "wind" the call, basically they'll try to get downwind of you to smell what's making the noise. I use an electronic call, if I get a runner coming in I'll tend to drop it carefully and try to move 15-20 yards away from it. Say the wind is going right to left across you and the fox is heading right for you, then you'd go 15-20 yards to your left. I've had them come right in and I've not shot, because I know they're just going to think "Oh, ****! I need to "wind" this don't I?" and they move off again to come in broadside nicely. Broadside is always best profile to shoot them.

There are losts of tips and tricks to be honest.

36 gram BB cartridges are best I find. Like anything, if done right it's humane. If you wound a fox it'll not usually go far but it will try to hide, check well.

Now that is field craft, read it and digest. Because John has just given you 5 plus years of learning in a few sentences.

Well done John. One of the best posts I have seen in a long time.

TC

as a new comer to this shooting lifi would like to thank you for the imfo im getting

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

im learning so much!your all spoiling me! :rolleyes::yes:

its a bit premature on my part tho because im still waiting for my sgc!ah well nowt rong with being eager i suppose!

It is far better to learn these sort of things before you try taking on live quarry than to have to learn from your mistakes which could leave an animal suffering. In my opinion you have done the right thing by asking first as opposed to making a mistake and getting "put down" or "ribbed" for it at a later date.

This is the great thing about this particular forum, most of the emebers are a mine of information that they are more than willing to share with others! :good:

Some very good posts here.

For my penny's worth.

If you are going out just for fox load big 36g or bigger 2,3 bb as I say big. But I have dropped more foxes with number 6, 30g cause that's when I see them on our driven days.

Basically as said before, hit them close as possible with what you have got and more if needed.