An Evenings Stalking and Lamping

Hi all.

Don, yts and i were out again last night for an evening stalking and lamping. Now those of you that have met us know that the banter flies thick and fast, indeed some would say the pi** taking is a little excessive but now and again a real gem is delivered with such perfect comic timing it has the whole car in uproar. Let me explain! Don and i frequently Argue / discuss the merits of various books, authors on a variety of subjects on the way to our permission. Don has the benefit of a classical education and loves to lord it over us mere peasants, so when he tried to quote a passage from voltaire and got it wrong.... i was in there like a ferret down a bunny hole. So as the arguement flowed back and forth with various literary heavyweights being thrown in and quotes being banded around (YTS is usually very quiet) but a little voice piped up from the back what about this one "yippeekiaymuthafu**" bruce willis, in die hard, :yp: :lol::lol::D absolute class, tears streaming down my face heaven knows how don kept the car straight. Anyway now i have bored you rigid on with some shooting.

The plot is as usual upon arriving at our permission to split up after agreeing safe routes and lines of fire. My area was some 8-10 fields that the farmer has been complaining about constantly about the bunnies and with strict instructions to show no mercy to the baby bunnies as we need to make inroads into the bunny population ASAP. PURE PEST CONTROL this evening indeed as we got out of the car and set the rifle up this greeted us at the grand range of 3yds.

14-5-08pic01.jpg

So off i went on a glorius but very warm evening. I made a circuit of the 1st two fields and with a few babies and 5 adults in the bag at ranges from 3yds to 70yds (yes i did murder the baby in the photo SORRY but needs must).

I stopped to admire the scenery as i made my way around the rest of my agreed area and took this snap to share with you. This place is beautiful at any time. But bathed in the evening sunlight it is spectacular.

14-5-08pic05.jpg

I slowly made my along the edge of a conifer plantation adding to the bag as i went at ranges from 30 - 50yds. One memorable shot as the light was failing, i spotted a bunny at 80yds with no cover to stalk it. bunny was uphill from me so i lay down under the hedgerow, the wind has died and i check again the range and decide yes 80yds. usually at this range 3 inches of holdover is required but shooting uphill the shot will go high anyway so allow 2 inches. Steady myself and the gentlest squeeze on the trigger and WHACK! clean headshot. Very pleased with that one! and somehow missed a 35yd sitter next a little further on (straight back to earth with a bump ha ha). The light is really going now so after cleaning the slain i had this little lot, 18 in the bag.

14-5-08pic06.jpg

No time this evening for a grand laying out of Dons and YTS bag too as we are off foxing, but don returned with 16 and yts 15 to give us a total of 49 for the evening.

Off we go after a restorative coffee and blackcurrant pie onto a different part of the shoot. After a complaint about foxes the pressure is on to score. And after a few fruitless fields lamping and calling we spot one. YTS approached a gate flicked the lamp on and there one is looking at us at 50yds range. no time for don to get on the bipod, this one is going to be shot off the gatepost or not at all. The fox has now reached around 100yds and to another call stoped broadside on. No mistake from aged companion a solid thump announced a clean hit to his shot. A FINE SHOT INDEED PAL :lol: A few minutes calling and another pair of eyes appear. Once again no mistake from aged companion and a 1/2 grown cub is added to the bag. We waited to see if any more cubs were in the area but no more seen nor could we find the earth. i know killing the vixen and a cub is a little controversial but if the farmer wants 'em gone then sorry but so be it.

14-5-08pic07.jpg

A late night by our standard we head for home at around 0100hrs. An excellent evening in good company and very productive too. One very happy farmer SORTED! Thanks for reading.

GSAW