Overpenertration

red_stag88

Hi, when i was at home last a #### rabbit showed its self, i was standing at the time, it was about five feet away but didnt know i was there. so i promptly raised my lightning and squeezed the trigger. it gave the smacking noise and you know you've hit it. Then the bloomin thing ran off!!!  :what:  :(  :what: when i had found it the pellet had gone into it but remaind in shape, so basically it put a .177 sized whole in the rabbit but transefered very little energy to the rabbit. however if you get a pellet that mushrooms out nicely (like a deer round) i transferes more energy doing more damage and thus stopping the rabbit/rat/bird/squrrile nicely on the spot.

What pellets should i use? i have been using eley wasps, the problem could have come about because the rabbit was so close, i have previously shot pigeons and they have died instanly.

Hi Red Stag,you may have missed the heart & gut shot the rabbit. You say you picked it up later, it may have taken a little while to die. I don't shoot with an air rifle, so I can't give you any advice on pellets, but when shooting with my .22, I always aim for the eye. An inch either way will be instant death for the target. I have gut shot rabbits before, & unless I've been lucky enough to hit the heart, those have also ran for a bit before dropping. Incidently, I use hollow points on the .22, which should break up on impact,rather than exiting the other side of the target!

Hello red stag,this is a thing that can happen especially with air rifles and .177 more than .22,the thing to understand is that a pellet leaving a 12ft/lb air rifle (which should be about what your lightning is putting out is leaving the muzzle at around 500fps ish (i think thats about right for a .22 so .177 a bit quicker)the pellet will deform very little no matter what shape it is as it just isnt being pushed hard enough to basically destroy itself on impact (which is what you want) a .22lr with subsonic ammo will travel at about 1200 fps this will deform the bullet quite a bit,a centerfire .22 can be u around 3600fps at this speed te bullet will basically explode inside the animal.This is exactly the thing you are looking for as it will impart all of its kinetic energy into the target causing much damage internally.As Lazza said the rabbit probably died pretty quickly from its wound  but it might pay to try some of the hollow pointed pellets that are available at the moment,it may help a bit but dont expect miricals.

If you can't get hollow pointsfor .177, try flat heads or dimpled.  I think that Match Pell can be had in .177 and you may be able to get the Bisley dimpled dome pellet in .177 (Super Field).  Don't forget however that domed pellets fly straighter over long distances as they lose less power from air resistance.

I was using Wasp pellets until recently for rats.  Trouble was, they had a habit of running off and dying in impossible to reach places, making an awful stink!

Don't use pointed pellets - they are only any good for very short range as they tend to wander off target.

I would use whatever give the best groups through your rifle,if you havent allready try as many dierent brands and models as possable to see which shoots best and then stick with them.My personal choice for a hunting pellet are either round head or slightly hollow point.Pointed pellets never seem to group that tight (i think they are a bit prone to damage)and flat heads(wadcutters) are handy for close range stuff eg rats in barns but have there limitations.I used to have a bsa and wasps seemed to group very well through it

Pellet type is totally unimportant to a clean kill. Pick a pellet that groups well in your gun and stick to it. I use Bisley magnums in one gun and Daystate FT in another. Both in .177 (12ft/lb) and both pellets are roundheads. If you hit the quarry in the brain it won't care if it's a round head or hollowpoint. I've shot Rabbits out to 55 yds with no problems - providing you hit the right area. Hit the wrong area even at 10 yds and it'll be off wounded. The advantage of Bisley Magnums in .177 is they hold a lot more energy downrange than most pellets and are usually a couple of ft/lb up at 50 yds over the opposition. The only time to swap pellets is if ratting at close range when I'd opt for super H-points to prevent overpenentration. As a general rule a good roundhead pellet will outperform a pointed / flat / or hollowpoint.

• 3 weeks later...