Wildcat Predator 8

Baldrick

I have a wildcat cub on my 17hmr, and a wildcat predator 8 on my 22-250

Both do the job perfectly, and both are easily stripable.

The main thing is, to GREASE the threads and o rings with silicone grease every time after cleaning, and to clean it every time after use before putting it away.

As with any stripable moderator, failure to do this WILL result in sooner or later being almost impossible to strip.

Easiest way to clean the baffles in the predator 8 is to place the baffle stack in a tub of diesel, and leave to soak a night. Either that or spray it (over a large wad of kitchen roll) with brake cleaner. Either will remove all the crud, and prevent the baffles corroding away.

Both mine are four years old now, and inside as new, despite thousands of rounds through them

I've taken on a new 500-acre permission, bordered by a lot of residential property. The issue of complaining neighbours, combined with MRY's tale about the unpleasant consequences of hearing loss, have prompted me to have my centrefires screw-cut. I have avoided mods until now, as I don't like the look/weight and the noise was never an issue. I am due to take delivery of a heavy-barrelled .243 in a few weeks.

The gunsmith doing the screw-cutting is steering me towards a Wildcat Predator 8. Thinking that it was cheap and strippable, I have asked him to order me a Predator 8. Having just read Jagerman's comments that the Wildcat is 'really loud and heavy', is the Wildcat really that useless?

Is there anything cheaper than an A-Tec or PES T12 that is effective and user-friendly?

Cant fault the pred 8 on my 204 a lot of people say how quiet it is but i do have a T8 on the 243 3rd one and i would say the pred 8 is better in my eyes as its striperble to clean

There are a lot of mods out there these days and a lot of price points. Size and weight are also commonly important factors.

Im not following some comments here though about the P8 being noisey/useless.

I started with a FULL P8 on my .223 and later converted it to a COMPACT, then followed Compact versions for my .243 and .308. As an overall package of size, weight, noise reduction, price, parts availability, stripability, etc I find them hard to beat. I'm out in the field a lot, shoot with a lot of people and I'm at Bisley a lot, so get to see/hear a lot of mods.

Each to their own, but as things stand the P8 Compact is just fine for me! :good:

post-20848-0-28279300-1438073112_thumb.jpg

There are a lot of mods out there these days and a lot of price points. Size and weight are also commonly important factors.

Im not following some comments here though about the P8 being noisey/useless.

I started with a FULL P8 on my .223 and later converted it to a COMPACT, then followed Compact versions for my .243 and .308. As an overall package of size, weight, noise reduction, price, parts availability, stripability, etc I find them hard to beat. I'm out in the field a lot, shoot with a lot of people and I'm at Bisley a lot, so get to see/hear a lot of mods.

Each to their own, but as things stand the P8 Compact is just fine for me! :good:

Where you order parts from for the p8 i cold do with a new tube might go for the compact one

Where you order parts from for the p8 i cold do with a new tube might go for the compact one

Inner and outer tube required, and maybe a new bush, sort off all the back end! :good:

I converted my .223 Full P8 to start with and can honestly say I didn't notice any performance loss in sound reduction, it was done for a weight reduction really, size reduction was a bonus. Bought Compact versions for my .243 and .308 then, and they work fine. I seem to recall at the time UK Custom Shop (Wildcat) said that anything above .308 needed the full rather than Compact version.

• 1 year later...