Walking on the lead?

dazza

Ive had a black lab pup for the last week now. He's twelve weeks old and I tried him with a lead this morning, once it was round his neck he wouldn't budge. Is it too early for trying to walk him on a lead? Without the lead he walks with me everywhere. Any tips on how to get him used to it, or is it too early?

Any advice appreciated!

Dazza

I had a similar problem with my lab. Basically if you are taking your dog out he's got to have got used to the lead. You don't have any option. It takes a bit of time and you have to cajole them but you must to be firm with him. It's a battle that you are going to win and he has to know that. It took me about half a day and once he was used to it he was fine.

Good luck

P

Dazza,

I used a very lightweight collar and lead to start with. Leaving the collar on

got him used to it quickly, especially if you make a game out of it.

When he's happy with the collar attach a lead and make a game out of it, keep his mind occupied and he should soon forget about the lead.

I found that putting a few bicuits in a plastic tumbler and shaking it got his

attention, then walk forward slowly whilst shaking the tumbler, let him come with

you, but don't drag him. Give him lots of praise and the odd treat from the tumbler

when he does well.

He'll soon get the hang of it.

This method worked well for my pups.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ferret_meister

may sound cruel...but my mastif wouldnt take the lead, but i dragged him along about 10yds for 30 mins...next time hes perfect walks and when i stop he looks for the facial expression from me to stop.