Cockers again advice needed

pantheman

Hello all,

Due to the advice given by members of this board my little cockers (excuse the pun) are coming along real fine, but I have some questions that have been bugging me.

1. Currently I feed them 3 times a day. They are 4 1/2 months old. Is this correct and when should I only feed them once a day?

2. Should I feed them before I take them out for a walk / training or after?

3. I currently keep them in a dog run / pen, but at every visit, they have nearly always crapped in the pen. Is there a time when they will wait till they get out before crapping. I do understand they are still young, but wondered if this is what I can expect. I go to them a 8 am then 12/1 then again 7/8pm.

4. When I get them out, I always have them on a lead at first, a short walk then I let them off the lead and say "Go Play", with this they dash off chasing each other and play fight etc. How can I get them to be 'Hunting' so to speak, i.e differentiate between play and work or is it too early yet?

Sorry for all the questions, but, just stuff I needed to know so that I may stay on the right track. Books don't tell you these things!

I am certain there are more questions, but thats all I can think of right now.

Cheers

:hmm:

Here's my opinion for what it' worth. UPPER CASE in your post.

Hello all,

Due to the advice given by members of this board my little cockers (excuse the pun) are coming along real fine, but I have some questions that have been bugging me.

1. Currently I feed them 3 times a day. They are 4 1/2 months old. Is this correct and when should I only feed them once a day? CUT DOWN TO TWICE A DAY, MORNING AND EVENING, BEFORE GOING TO ONCE A DAY.

2. Should I feed them before I take them out for a walk / training or after? DOESN'T MATTER, BUT GIVE AN HOUR EITHER SIDE OF EXERCISE FOR FOOD.

3. I currently keep them in a dog run / pen, but at every visit, they have nearly always crapped in the pen. Is there a time when they will wait till they get out before crapping. I do understand they are still young, but wondered if this is what I can expect. I go to them a 8 am then 12/1 then again 7/8pm. THEY MAY WAIT, OR THEY MAY NOT, JUST DEPENDS ON THE DOG. WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT, JUST DISINFECT YOUR RUN REGULARLY.

4. When I get them out, I always have them on a lead at first, a short walk then I let them off the lead and say "Go Play", with this they dash off chasing each other and play fight etc. How can I get them to be 'Hunting' so to speak, i.e differentiate between play and work or is it too early yet? DON'T WORRY ABOUT HUNTING, I KNOW OF SPRINGERS AT 1O MONTHS WHO HAVEN'T "DISCOVERED" HUNTING. YOU CAN ENCOURAGE THEM BY LEAVING THINGS THEY LIKE IN THE GARDEN OR YOUR EXERCISE AREA, THEY MAY NOT BE FORMALLY "HUNTING" YET BUT THEIR NOSE WILL KNOW WHAT THEY LIKE AND THE HUNTING INSTINCT WILL KICK IN TO LOOK FOR THAT.

Sorry for all the questions, but, just stuff I needed to know so that I may stay on the right track. Books don't tell you these things!

I am certain there are more questions, but thats all I can think of right now.

Cheers

:hmm:

WGD

1. Currently I feed them 3 times a day. They are 4 1/2 months old. Is this correct and when should I only feed them once a day?

I wouldn't worry about this I have always fed my pups once a day

Feed them after training they're more responsive to the treats when they have empty bellies

3. I currently keep them in a dog run / pen, but at every visit, they have nearly always crapped in the pen. Is there a time when they will wait till they get out before crapping. I do understand they are still young, but wondered if this is what I can expect. I go to them a 8 am then 12/1 then again 7/8pm.

They're still young give them time

4. When I get them out, I always have them on a lead at first, a short walk then I let them off the lead and say "Go Play", with this they dash off chasing each other and play fight etc. How can I get them to be 'Hunting' so to speak, i.e differentiate between play and work or is it too early yet?

Your better off taking them out 1 at a time and start walking the ditches with them on their own, they'll only keep playing with each other otherwise. Its hard with 2 young dogs

Just a quick edit to say; make sure you have the obedience under control before bringing them out

Just my tuppence worth but hope it helps!

Edited by deeksofdoom

hi pantheman

i would look to cutting down to 2 meals a day from 5 months old with set meal times

ie between 7am-8am and again between between 4pm -6pm (these are my times)

as to get them in a routine between meals

as for messing the run with luck it should start to get better with age but would advise a later walk than 8 pm for it is a long time for a youngster to wait especialy as it starts to gets light at 4am and the pups will start to wake with the light and morning chorus plus going down to 2 meals should make a difference

it is never too early to teach them to hunt but keep it short and fun, if you are planning to run the pair as a brace then training needs to be done with both dogs together but it is complicated and hard work and very stressfull , otherwise take each dog out seperate for training and never let them self hunt as this can cause a headstrong dog, start with teaching them to quarter first and keep them close they will soon learn the difference between play and work

good luck and good fun

TH

With pups that age it should be play hunting which you can induce by encouraging them to enter thick clumps of grass and other cover. Stick your hand in and rustle it about whilst encouraging the pups in and leading them around with your hand movements. Main point is to keep it fun and give loads of encouragement.

I prefer to feed after exercise and I wouldn't get too fussed about exactly when to reduce feeding. That said you could probably drop to twice a day now. As for messing - you may have to try and intercept them before it happens which may entail some early starts. Associate a toilet command such as 'get clean' when they go and make sure you give loads of praise when they go in the right place at the right time.

Agree with deeksofdoom and trollhunter that you're best taking them out one at a time for training - only have them together for exercise.

As for anything else always remember that they're just babies and cockers are babies for quite a while!

I wouldn't worry about this I have always fed my pups once a day

Feed them after training they're more responsive to the treats when they have empty bellies

They're still young give them time

Your better off taking them out 1 at a time and start walking the ditches with them on their own, they'll only keep playing with each other otherwise. Its hard with 2 young dogs

Just a quick edit to say; make sure you have the obedience under control before bringing them out

Just my tuppence worth but hope it helps!

:good: Above all, don't rush things and be patient :)

LB

My cocker is 8 months now. She is also kept in the house unlike yours and her food is available as and when she wants it although I only give her one helping per day. It is only now that there is a pattern and she tends to eat the majority in the evening.

I have an area at the bottom of the garden to work with her and when she is on her own she generally listens and we get on well. If my brother's dog arrives from next door then I am wasting my time and I just let them play. Likewise if we are out on the shoot, she will listen and work well when just ourselves but in the company of other dogs all she wants to do is play. Hopefully she will grow out of it.

Best of luck though, I almost bought two pups but I'm glad I didn't. Are yours from the same litter?

One of my biggest mistakes so far is probably letting her "free hunt" so much. I have had to cut back recently to bring her back into line.

Keep us posted

Jef

My cocker is 8 months now. She is also kept in the house unlike yours and her food is available as and when she wants it although I only give her one helping per day. It is only now that there is a pattern and she tends to eat the majority in the evening.

I have an area at the bottom of the garden to work with her and when she is on her own she generally listens and we get on well. If my brother's dog arrives from next door then I am wasting my time and I just let them play. Likewise if we are out on the shoot, she will listen and work well when just ourselves but in the company of other dogs all she wants to do is play. Hopefully she will grow out of it.

Best of luck though, I almost bought two pups but I'm glad I didn't. Are yours from the same litter?

One of my biggest mistakes so far is probably letting her "free hunt" so much. I have had to cut back recently to bring her back into line.

Keep us posted

Jef

Hi Jef,

yes they are from the same litter and to be honest I am glad i got two because, if nothing else it keeps them company when I am away from them.

I have now cut their feeding to 2 per day, seems has no real effect, in fact they don't even finish what i give them, so i will be looking to cut it down it bit more.

As for free hunting, not quite sure what you mean, but i do let them play for a couple of minutes, then i do the fetch which i am happy to say i get 100% success rate now. I have started the heel walking and when i walk them individually they tend to walk by my side, but when both togother there is the tendency to pull ahead. I think this is just one competeing with the other for leadership. I am not too worried about this.

They are coming up to 5 months now and they have done reall well to get this far, i can't really complain given the short time i am spending due to work committments.

When they are older i will start the hand and whistle training although i do put some hand signals in at present.

Overall I am pleased with them and if you watch them behaving you would be surprised.

Anyway good luck to you too and I will post updates from time to time.

Pan