Rabbits as food?

mack

I shoot loads of rabbits and am considering feeding them to my dogs. I thought maybe i would cook em and mince em and add to normal feed. Questions are: Is that a suitable option? How much should I give them? Should I grind everything including the bones or remove the meat and just grind that?

Any info welcome as I really want to put all the bunnies I get to good use.

Mack

• 3 months later...

I always feed the rabbits I've shot to my dogs, much better than the cr*p you get in tinned dog food. I joint them up and put just enough water in to cover them. Then simmer for 2 hrs.Once boiled I let them cool. Boiling them is much better as you can get every bit of meat off the carcass plus getting the goodness from the bones.

Then with a pare of rubber gloves (better grip on the meat) I strip all the meat off the bones and scrunch it back into about half of the cooking water. Then all I do is put some of the meat+cooking liqour mixture in a bowl with some mixer and put it down for them. Its gone in 10 secs flat !! They can't get enough of the stuff and its really really good stuff for them.

Brilliant dod food and its free plus you get the enjoyment of shooting it first. A win win situation exept for the rabbit!!

All the best,

Game_boy.

My mate skins them, cuts them in half and his missus then puts them in a pan of water in the oven for an hour, he then feeds the cooked halves to his terrier.

Ex. wife has a porkin great Alsatian and it would eat every last bit of a rabbit, used to chuck it the feet when I was skinning them and it crunched the lot claws and all. When it was a pup it swallowed a piece of rabbit skin as big as your hand in one gulp. I look after it sometimes when she goes away, fed it on cooked rabbit which it will scratch a door down to get at but it didn't agree with it on this occasion, when I came back from the pub had **** all over my carpet, still ain't got the stains out !!!

I share custody of 2 Yorkies and when I have them I feed them meat and "all things nice" which is an entirely differant diet to that which they are use to.

To say that their bowels are loose for a day or two would be an understatement.

They soon get back to normal though, just have to be on my toes when they let me know they want to go out.

I then get a rollicking when they go back about their weight gain. :lol:

Fed mine raw gutted game rabbit/hare/deer since they were young uns, never had any bother plus they get all the goodness, left stuff out and they have got at it before, they demolish the guts first if they have got at them on the sly before you have had chance to skin and gut them...

Put them in the freezer it kills any worms and parasites, or alternatively if you do want to boil them and use the meat to mix with complete get a burco boiler, saves stinking the housr out and fits 12 rabs in easy enough.. :devil: