Sea fishing and multipliers

Dunkield

It's because most of us humans are right handed and thus our right hand is more fit than the left, reeling in a double figure bass from near on 300 yards away would near on kill our left wrist!

Apparently :good:

It's because most of us humans are right handed and thus our right hand is more fit than the left, reeling in a double figure bass from near on 300 yards away would near on kill our left wrist!

Apparently :lol:

Yes, I agree, the right wrist takes a lot more strain than the left arm.

Of course my right wrist is extremely strong as I exercise it regularly :good: :blink: :lol::D

The problem I had when on our boat fishing trip was the rod was in the holder on the side of the boat (not sure of the correct terminology) but when I had a bite I picked up the rod with my right hand, as I would do with any other rod, only to find the handle on that side as well.

According to the skipper while I was changing over hands I let some fish get away, so as and when I buy my own gear I will get a left handed reel as that feels most comfortable to me.

I thought I would just ask why most people seem to prefer their reels the other way round for mulipier fishing, I think Jerico pretty well answered it.

Now we have sorted that I will try and dig out the picture of the bass the skipper caught :good:

Stuart, I am left handed & reel in with my left hand :good: I can get on with conventional multipliers (right hand wind) but I have got myself a couple of Left hand wind multipliers :good::yes: :yes: jobsagudun :good: Makes my life easier :yes:

The problem I had when on our boat fishing trip was the rod was in the holder on the side of the boat (not sure of the correct terminology) but when I had a bite I picked up the rod with my right hand, as I would do with any other rod, only to find the handle on that side as well.

According to the skipper while I was changing over hands I let some fish get away, so as and when I buy my own gear I will get a left handed reel as that feels most comfortable to me.

I thought I would just ask why most people seem to prefer their reels the other way round for mulipier fishing, I think Jerico pretty well answered it.

Now we have sorted that I will try and dig out the picture of the bass the skipper caught :good:

It seems that the multiplier was fitted so that you reeled with your right hand.

Your problem was that you picked the rod up with your right hand, instead of your left.

Almost all fixed spool reels give you the option of changing the handle from left to right and vice versa.

The reason that the fixed spool reels handle is traditionally on the left, is because the fish fighting action requires the rod to be "pumped".

This means that you lift the rod and then reel fast whilst lowering the rod ( a strong right arm is needed for the lifting).

The gearing on a fixed spool reel is not designed for "winching" fish in, which you can do with a multiplier.

• 13 years later...

It's an excellent 13 year old thread and one of my favourite topics! I'm going to make an incredibly PC statement and say that there is no right way to hold a rod/reel, whatever works for you whether that's left hand wind or right, BUT what I see a lot of people doing is using the wrong hand for them because multipliers are usually right hand wind. The result is an exercise in cackhandedness. Almost as bad are the people that cast with the rod in one hand and then swap the rod over to the other hand so they can wind the reel. Changing hands changes pressure and angle on the line and may cause a fish to be lost. It's very common over here with right hand wind multipliers. When I question people about it, they're quite defensive and say they've always done it like that, then they'll go and pick up a left hand wind spinning reel 😄

All my reels from a size 1000 small river reel to my big game reels are left hand wind. Don't compromise! 

Back from the dead indeed, and thank you Houseplant for that injection of common sense.

My original point, which seemed to get lost on many, was..

I am right handed, I fly fish with the rod in my right hand, when I spin the rod is my right hand, when I coarse fish the rod in my right hand etc etc

But when I go sea fishing with a multiplier it is 'normal' for the rod to be in my left hand, ignoring the fact the multiplier is one of best mechanical advantages out there, and the mahusive fish I have caught [never] is being played on a short rod in my weaker arm.

Anyway after 13 long years I don't care, I have drawer full of ABU nnnn1 left handed reels which are actually of course right handed reels, so I just take my own 😋

Meh, RH/LH.

I used to fish different beats of the Tay and mostly fly water so I learned to cast and fight a fish whichever way suited the bank I was on, left bank and I used left to reel and vice versa. I have lhw and rhw multis but prefer lhw fixed spool and rhw centre pin reels.

• 1 month later...

I am not ambidextrious by any means but find no difficulty winding right or left handed.  In my 20 years as a charter boat skipper I saw many an awkward sight with multipliers on the bottom of the rod and Scarborough reels and fixed spools on the top.   All my fly fishing reels are set for LH wind, I am right handed by the way, this leaves the stronger right arm to do the business of keeping control of the fish and applying pressure when required.   A little practice might help those who struggle to reel with either hand.

Blackpowder