Sea fishing and multipliers

Dunkield

I went sea fishing last Friday, from a boat, and not knowing much about it took along a spinning rod reel to use if it was up to it.

It turned out to be fine for the mackeral bashing session on the way out but not man enough for the bream and bass further out.

So I borrowed a boat rod and reel from the shipper.

I got on fine with this other than the fact the reel handle was on the 'wrong' side, the right, which to my way of thinking is where it should be for a left hander.

So why is it considered 'normal' (for a right hander) to have the handle of a fixed spool reel on the left, but also 'normal' to have the handle of a multiplier on the right?

on a fixed spool, its easy to swap the handle, but you cant on a multi. there are some great multis out there for you "special" :yes: ones. my brother had the same problem, and started with a right hander, but now has an easier time with a lefty :hmm:

But the normal (if I can use that word) setup for any fishing I do is to have the rod in my right hand and then use the reel with my left hand.

The reel gives a mechanical advantage so the weaker hand can deal with that, the rod, especially longer ones give the fish the mechanical advantage so that should be handled by your stronger arm. I was chopping and changing all day long and it was a right pain.

I have a 'normal' (but called left handed) multiplier on a pike rod and that works just fine.

You normally use a multiplier with the rod "upside down", meaning that the reel is on top of the rod, with the rod rings pointing upwards.

This puts the handle in your right hand.

A fixed spool reel is used under the rod, with the rod rings pointing downwards.

Just what I was going to say! your rod is the wrong way round!

You normally use a multiplier with the rod "upside down", meaning that the reel is on top of the rod, with the rod rings pointing upwards.

A fixed spool reel is used under the rod, with the rod rings pointing downwards.

Or actually use the rod the correct way up which is then putting all the strain through the blank rather than straining the rings. The rod would be held in the left hand and reel in with the right.

Stuart you are obviously cack handed.

I should have stated I am well aware of which way up the rod goes :good:

But none of this explains why the the handle on all my fly reels is on the left (for a right handed person) the handle on my fixed spool reels is on the left (for a right handed person) but the handle on 'normal' (right handed people) multipliers is on the right?

It's not me, it's you lot all missing the point :blink:

I should have stated I am well aware of which way up the rod goes :good:

But none of this explains why the the handle on all my fly reels is on the left (for a right handed person) the handle on my fixed spool reels is on the left (for a right handed person) but the handle on 'normal' (right handed people) multipliers is on the right?

It's not me, it's you lot all missing the point :blink:

Ive got it! your multiplier is the wrong way round and your fly reels are backwards! :lol:

If you did not have to spread the line on a multipler - like you don't have to on a fly reel - you could use it reel down as with a fly rod.

This was a requirement in the olden days before line speaders on mulitpliers came common and is now just a hangover so that multipliers come from the factory geared to be used reel up, even though they don't have to.

You can usually switch the gearing over on many of the better mulitpliers to make it wind in the opposite direction, in which case there's no reason why you couldn't fish it reel down as long as it has a spreader.

I think the 2nd reason the convention continues is that it's easier to exert force on the rod and reel at the same time when your hand is underneath the rod (reel up) than when it is on top (reel down).

The strange angle of your wrist might also make it hard to get in close to you when pumping if you have it reel down.

Most of the line in/out on a fly rod is stripping rather than reeling, and the gear is lighter so it snot so much of an issue reeling in wit that pointy down wrist action.

its a european thing. aussies wind with there right hand on a fixed spool. we use left.

watch rex hunt. :good: :blink:

Hmm, I wind with my right hand, which is the left handers way of doing it ? But I'm part ambidextrous, I cast then swap hands, I find winding with the left hand strange on a FS and I find it harder to control fish.

Actually, that's the same way I use a multiplier, wind with the right - which is considered the right handed way.

Oh, I don't know, sometimes it' all too much.

Edited by cubix

OK picture time.

Fill in the blanks if you want to play along....

This is a picture of a right handed persons fixed spool/spinning reel

The handle is on the _______ hand side

seido_fa.jpg

This is a picture of a right handed persons multipier reel.

The handle is on the _______ hand side.

torium.jpg

Notice a difference??? :good:

Well, here's where I disagree with you. In my opinion, a fixed spool reel for a right handed person should have the handle on the right, as should a multiplier and a centre pin. Any normal right-handed chap should have enough strength in his left arm to sort a fish out, leaving him to do the delicate art of cranking his handle with his right hand :good: . Very important to reel in smoothly and automatically, without having to think about it, as you would if you were cranking with your left hand. I'm right handed and I wouldn't be happy reeling anything in using my left hand on the reel.

Innit

Edited by Chard

If we are looking at the front of the multiplier, and the line comes in over the top (not the bottom as I have seen once or twice!) then that is correct as a right handed set up, and it's in the correct orientation for the rod exactly as you see it - on top with the bit facing us facing the tip of the rod. The hande will wind clockwise.

The fixed spool reel - also correct for a right hander, but I am mostly right handed and I swapped the hnadle to the other side.

So - I fish both by holding the rod in my left and winding with my right.

Clear as mud.

Stuart,

In truth it is all down to personal preference and doesn't make a jot of difference. The main reason is not many manufacturers make "Left Handed" multipliers.

There is no right or wrong way it is whatever is comfortable and more controlable

Hi

Being Right Handed, you play the fish on the rod holding it in the Right hand, and you wind the line in, using the left hand.

Very natural and quite simple.

When casting with a multiplier, the eyes of the rod faces upwards, using the right hand thumb to stop the line when the lead hits the water.

Right hand on reel, left hand holding bottom of rod, once you finished casting, left hand then controls the reel handle using your right hand to hold the rod close to the reel, with your right hand thumb to control the level wind.

Simple :good:

Hi

Being Right Handed, you play the fish on the rod holding it in the Right hand, and you wind the line in, using the left hand.

Very natural and quite simple.

When casting with a multiplier, the eyes of the rod faces upwards, using the right hand thumb to stop the line when the lead hits the water.

Right hand on reel, left hand holding bottom of rod, once you finished casting, left hand then controls the reel handle using your right hand to hold the rod close to the reel, with your right hand thumb to control the level wind.

Simple :good:

Not so at all :lol: I've been sea fishing for 40 years and the only right-handed prople I've seen reeling in using their left hand are newbies who look extremely awkward. Not the natural way to do it at all. I'm right handed. I cast a multiplier, using my right thumb to control the line during the cast, and my right hand to reel in. (as do all experienced sea anglers I have ever known). Fixed spool reels are repulsive cack-handed vile pieces of ****, but they still need reeling in with the right hand by right handed people. Centre pin reels don't exist in my world. :blink: