confused

stu

I think they will accept a gun clamp for a sgc but only just,fac i'm not so sure.Best thing to do is give them a ring and ask,i found my local firearms office nothing but helpfull.Why not get a cabinate?that way the police willbe happy and if/when you decide to get another rifle or a shotgun your allready sorted without the extra expense :( .I found this webpage below about a day after i had completedmy forms :crazy:  (wish i'd found it sooner as it has some very good "standard" answers)so it may be of use to you :(

http://www.kwacs.freeserve.co.uk/applying.htm

Cranfield. I may have missed an update in the law,but how long has it been a legal requirement to have a wallmounted steel locked cabinet to keep guns in. The last time I heard,the home office requirement is that the owner has to satisfy the police that guns are kept securely.There is no mention of steel cabinets etc.I personally don,t have a steel one.Also the police have no automatic right to enter your premises to inspect your security unless you invite them to do so. In practice of course we all do if asked , just to make life easier for ourselves..

I think you are right about not having to keep guns in a cabinet but they are recommended and to save any delays in obtaining a licence it is the way to go

I bought a cabinet at a gun shop about 10 years ago but as it is not completely welded around each seam the police in Tyne and Wear said that I should get it sorted out as soon as possible   :evil:

Perhaps my use of the expression "legal requirement", when referring to the steel cabinet, fixed to the wall (or floor), was incorrect.

I should have said "approved design".

Which is what the Kent Police told me, was the only storage system that they would approve.

I am satisfied that any burglars will have a hell of a job stealing my guns.

That suits me fine.

I also see very little purpose in having pedantic arguments with the Police, on what they can or can,t do, when the actual disruptive effect on me, is minimal.

As the last line of my original post states " we all do it to make life easier for ourselves" but there comes a time when the police have to be reminded of the law as it currently stands. One such example is a certain force issues an extra form for you to complete when applying for a shotgun certificate and one of the things they ask is why do you need a shotgun and where will you be using it and what for.This has no relevance to the law as it stands and B.A.S.C. advises members to politely decline to answer it. If the police can happily make up their own laws without being challenged ,I think this is whats known as a "Police State" and I for one don,t want it. :grumpy:

Good website that Elma,have earmarked it for future reference.Glad to hear that I am not alone in worrying that some police forces were overstepping their powers and everone was just complying ,without a word of complaint just for an easy life.The more us shooters stand up to being intimidated by laws that do not yet exist,the longer we will protect our sport that so many want to prohibit.