shooting geese with an air-rifle

billywhiz

well as title surgests is it legal to shoot geese with an air-rifle(FAC)

now i am no expert but i was always led to belive that to shoot game with a rifle it had to be with expanding ammo .

can some one put me right on this matter

stevo

P.S  just to point out that i have no intention of doing this its just an inqury thats all .

The simple answer is i dont know.

I maybe wrong, but a Lead pellet will expand on impact, thus giving you expanding ammo.  Solids are what target or army rifles fire (Full Metal Jacket) and are designed not to expand as fast as soft nose rounds.

The person to speak to would be Hammergun, he's quite clued up on these issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Billm,getting a fac for an airrifle is no more or less hard than for any section one firearm,ie you have to fill out the same forms,get 2 referees etc,the only thing that may make it easier is A,getting land approved for air rifle will be easier and B,if you have no experiance with rifle shooting but have experiance with air rifles you are more likely to be approved than if you applied straight out for a centerfire.Theres quite a few posts on here on the subject and a link to a webpage that takes you through the fom in easy to understand steps.Hope this helps a bit :(

Thanks for the help lads, one more question. Already have the air-rifle a theoben sirrocco one of the first they made, its on 12lb but can be pushed up to i think they told me 28lb, would i be able to use it on the same fac  if i was granted one for a .22 rimfire

Thanks for the help lads, one more question. Already have the air-rifle a theoben sirrocco one of the first they made, its on 12lb but can be pushed up to i think they told me 28lb, would i be able to use it on the same fac  if i was granted one for a .22 rimfire

Billm.Regardless of how many firearms you own each one goes on your certificate seperately along with the rifles identification mark/number and calibre.So you will not be able to use your fac air gun legally unless you have it on your firearms certificate.

Regards sean.

Ps-Did you recieve my reply to your message.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad asked permission of the local police to shoot geese with his rifle to use his .22 rimfire.He could not shoot them with a shot gun as it was near a supermarket and the owner thought it would be to loud and attract to much attention.However the lake had to be totally cleared of all people before he could go ahead.

My dad got permission of the local police to shoot geese with his rifle he used his .22 rimfire headshots only. He could not shoot them with a shot gun as it was near a supermarket and the owner thought it would be to loud and attract to much attention.

I would have to do some research but, I don't think that the police had the authority to give your dad any such permission, but I may be wrong. I would have thought it would have to come from some other agency or other and be issued under the 1954 Protection of birds act.

Perhaps you could scan in a copy of the permit (hiding any names and addresses) and post it here.

I am allowed to used my rifles wherever I think it is safe, but I wouldn't risk shooting wildfowl with them.

An engineering lecturer at our local college was heavily into any form of shooting and as he got older it was airgunning with a precharged pneumatic. He once told me that it was pointless trying to put more power behind the pellets because they (at that time anyway) would not be stable enough to maintain accuracy.

As has been said, if you can get a certificate for a .22 rimfire then get one of those. It will be quieter than a spring air rifle if you get a moderator. Don't forget to have the moderator put on the certificate. I know you can buy the same ones for an air rifle, but you will need it on your certificate to put it on a rimfire weapon.