stevethevanman

Rimfire mods  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Rimfire mod, for 22LR

• Sak
    • Parker Hale
    • DM80
    • ASE Ultra

I can't say best because I've only used one. However I'm completely satisfied with my SAK using subs. There is no noise aside from the firing pin drop and the bullet's thump at the other end. It is easy to pull apart and clean, and it is light enough that I don't notice it is there. All that for 30 quid. For 22 subs, I don't see why anyone would want anything more.

thanks

rick

I was on the shooting times website and they rated the SAK adequate, but i have looked recently at the Logun Strippable rimfire mod, and they gave that a 2 rating, as in exellent noise reduction...the rating scale was 1-4....4 being adequate and 1 being exellent, they said the best mods you could buy were the, John Bowkett, and the Vaimeco, these both achieved a score of 1 but these are extremely difficult to get hold of, so i was interested in the logun rimfire, its completely strippable and has amazing noise dampening capabilities but this comes at a cost of £58.95 Inc VAT from Euro Guns.

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

Using subs, I have never heard a bad or 'adequate' mod, they are not like centrefire mods - they have very little work to do.

My mate has some no name thing on his remmy that is like a cigar tube, and even that moderates to an almost inaudible level.

<_<:good:

I have had an air rifle silencer on one of my 22's for several years, It performs no differently than any other moderator, and is half the size and weight of most others. I have tried them all over the years, just buy the cheapest, as stuartp says, you won't notice the difference.

I think...

You can obsess about sound, and as soon as you whack a wabbit in the head the noise will alert the others that may be there, they may run, they may not.

HMR owners tell me they can shoot multiple bunnies out of a group so muzzle report can't bother them that much - if that is what you are after.

I have a SAK and have picked 3 out of group at about 50 yards or so while they worked out what was going on, and that was with rattling the bolt backwards and forwards.

I think...

You can obsess about sound, and as soon as you whack a wabbit in the head the noise will alert the others that may be there, they may run, they may not.

HMR owners tell me they can shoot multiple bunnies out of a group so muzzle report can't bother them that much - if that is what you are after.

I have a SAK and have picked 3 out of group at about 50 yards or so while they worked out what was going on, and that was with rattling the bolt backwards and forwards.

Very true, I frequently use a 223 (un-moderated) for rabbits, the noise from that and the almost equally loud noise from the rabbit popping its braces, does not usually frighten them in until at least the second or third shot. What thoughts go through a rabbits mind when it's mate has just exploded in a shower of puds in front of it defies the imagination, "it must have been something that he ate" springs to mind.

I have always used a PH on my .22, then when i got my .17hmr i bought an ASE UTRA for it and last year done a test, it's a lot quieter than my PH, but puts a bit more weight, so now i use it on my .17hmr and just stick to the PH on my .22 :no:

• 1 month later...
I looked at th PH but went for the SAK, shorter and doesn't have as many bits, I ahve shot side by side with friends with PH mods and there is no difference sound wise.

This will probably draw some flack, but on my CZ I am using an old Parker Hale airgun silencer with just the perforated tube inside it (not the springs and plastic disks. I made the outlet hole about 1mm bigger and with Eley subs the sound is quieter than any of my old air rifles were. Obviously, I won't part with it to anyone else because it is not proofed, but its fine with stingers and cuts their racket tremendously. I just had it lying around and it does the job. It's on my ticket of course.

silencernx6.jpg

I use SAK : cheap & I find easy to clean.That quiet never looked for anything else.As has been said before noise of sub hitting rabbit is the biggest problem.

That point about cleaning reminds me how filthy the thing gets. Mine was coated with a thick hard deposit all over the insides. I had it apart after about a thousand rounds and gave it a good scrub and wash. Took some getting off actually.

Very true, I frequently use a 223 (un-moderated) for rabbits, the noise from that and the almost equally loud noise from the rabbit popping its braces, does not usually frighten them in until at least the second or third shot. What thoughts go through a rabbits mind when it's mate has just exploded in a shower of puds in front of it defies the imagination, "it must have been something that he ate" springs to mind.

Bob the poetic beauty of how you put that has made me put down a beer and want a cup of tea.My lass asked what was so funny about PW tonight. Must be tired :good: