pigeon cartridges

erk108

i have been using lyalvale pigeon special cartridges (green cartridges) and found that i could not hit any birds in fligh or far away.I have now switched to lyavale game supmere no6 cartridges (black cartridges)and found them to be top class.Went shooting with them today and actually shot birds whilst flying they cost me a pound more for 25 but i think i am happy with that.Anyone else had simillar experience?.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erk 108

There is no substitute for getting your birds in the middle of the pattern . Any no 6 or no7 cartridge will kill game birds cleanly out to 35 yards . Its not like clays where a single lucky pellet can break a clay at 60 yards . A single pellet in a game bird will normally result in a pricked bird . Best of luck , Harnser .

Hi Guys

You may find that the more expensive cartridge is a bit faster and is making up for insufficient lead and now your hitting the target .I would leave the no7s in the clay shooting bag .6 or 5 32g are much more humane good shooting and dont blink

Alan

Hi Guys

You may find that the more expensive cartridge is a bit faster and is making up for insufficient lead and now your hitting the target .I would leave the no7s in the clay shooting bag .6 or 5 32g are much more humane good shooting and dont blink

Alan

ROTTWEIL TIGER 32G 5s :lol::good: got two boxes given off a mate fantastic stuff,

went to try and buy some after using these £279.00 per thousand :good::lol: :yp:

i have been using lyalvale pigeon special cartridges (green cartridges) and found that i could not hit any birds in fligh or far away.I have now switched to lyavale game supmere no6 cartridges (black cartridges)and found them to be top class.Went shooting with them today and actually shot birds whilst flying they cost me a pound more for 25 but i think i am happy with that.Anyone else had simillar experience?.

Clear proof that black cartridges out perform red ones then :yes::oops:

Both cartridges will cleanly and successfully kill birds if you point the barrels in the right place.

• 2 weeks later...

Look, wing-shooting with a shot gun is a skill which has to be learned, very few have the natural hand/eye co-ordination required. Choice of cartridge and chokings do matter but are irrelevant if you can't hit a barn door at ten paces.

An 'open' choke and 6 or 7 shot 30gram carts will knock em down easily at up to 30/40yds.(Victory Pigeon)(Gamebore Clear Pigeon)(Rio Basic Game)

28gram of 7's and 1/2 or 3/4 choke will do the job at slightly longer range.(Rio Trap28)(Hull Pigeon Special)(Victory Challangers)

If you must take shots at 60 - 70yds use 32gram 5's or 6's with some choke.(Victory Starlight)(Rottweill HV's)

When you have developed the 'skill' any modern cartridges will suffice for all your decoying needs!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

'actually shot birds whilst flying' and 'Look, wing-shooting with a shot gun is a skill which has to be learned, very few have the natural hand/eye co-ordination required. These two quotes worry me a little, does this mean to say most are shot on the deck, i often take one paddling the other flying,particularly if i need a couple of quick decoys but never all on the deck, thats not pigeon shooting for me, probably best to learn how to shoot before you go :hmm:

bought 250 of them expecting big differance NO chance over rated in my opinion always used caladonians no6 30g before exellent carts

All,

Hull special pigeon - only 32g of 6 in fibre or plas. Nice and soft on the shoulder and the pocket, not so on the birds! Have used Express Special Game - bit thumpy :good:

I use 'em cos they are cheap but agree with everyone else if you put it in the right spot, it will kill it. The wife had a cracker at 50yds out with 28g of 6 thro' her 20 bore Beretta SP yesterday. Stillsy didn't even think she would hit it, let alone kill it. It cleared 2 hedges on its way down - with its head back ;-)

Jonny.

I usually use Eley HB Pigeon but have switched to a 32gr RC Sipe # 6. Its one smoking cartridge. :good::good:

I have started using Eley HB pigeon 32g, 6 1/2 shot. I find them a great all-round cartridge for crows and pigeon etc. I have heard that they are quite harsh in the recoil aspect so I tested them in my auto (Urika) against 30g Gamebore clear pigeon and found no difference at all (I was suprised by that). Perhaps in a light side by side it may be noticable. The HB with 1/2 choke are consistantly bringing clean killed birds down up to 50m for me.... what more can you ask for at such a budget price!?

Good luck

Si

• 4 weeks later...

its such a shame that you can,t get hold of the jimmy lings cartridges, what a great cartridge, took some down to a friends shoot down south a few years ago and some of the lads down there tried some and couldnt believe how good they were, so everytime i went down there i had to take supplies, the poor old car struggled,

the only i think are close are the good old gamebore clear pigeon, scorchy