pigeon cartridges

erk108

I've started using Eley Maximums, 34g 5's. I thought at first 5's would have a sense of 'overkill' to 'em, but they havent half got some stoppin power. I've had clean kills out to 50-60yards with true cylinder, the 5s give you that extra bit of room to play with.

Only downside is they're BRIGHT PINK!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gamebore Clear Pigeon 32g are my favorite for general purpose on pigeons and like, also great for normal range rabbits, but for extra range and sometimes for the second or third shot I load up with Buffalo 4 or 5 shot, they seriously have a extra 10-20 yards increase in kill power. Have also recently dropped a couple of close range foxes with those with ease. They also do a BB round but I find them less effective on aerial targets.

Tried 21g Hull Competition X on clays recently, cheap at £120 for 1000 and they hit just as well as 28g loads, plus much lighter when carrying 100 or so around in a box/bag.

Admiral

I've started using Eley Maximums, 34g 5's. I thought at first 5's would have a sense of 'overkill' to 'em, but they havent half got some stoppin power. I've had clean kills out to 50-60yards with true cylinder, the 5s give you that extra bit of room to play with.

Only downside is they're BRIGHT PINK!!!

And plastic wadded. :yes:

Seriously though all this talk of heavy pigeon cartridges is rubbish. In any normal decoying situation 28-32g of 6's is all you will ever need through 1/4 and 1/2 choke. Although having said that I would not even consider using 21g clay cartridges in 7.5's or 8's for pigeons. :good:

As for the Buffalo 36g BB cartridge not being particularly effective on aerial targets, it's hardly suprising given the size of the pellet. I've patterned that particular cartridge at 35m through half choke and there were holes far larger than a pigeon in the pattern.

FM :hmm:

Yes plastic wadded...is that a problem :good:

Yes number 6's are ideal for decoying but considering that at the moment im using a shotgun with no chokes and just true cylinder, i like the extra bit of range for the high birds which the 5's provide, otherwise im gonna miss or injure the bird.

Its my understanding when buying carts to buy the best you can afford and in my opinion, these are the best for the job.

Well, personally I really don't like plastic wads. They don't rot down and just litter the countryside as well as being a theat to livestock when a modern fibre wad provides just a good pattern. :good:

Baring in mind the old mantra... pattern fails before penertration I wonder what the comparison is between 32g of 6 and 34g of 5's through cylinder. :yes: Anyone out there got an Eley Shooter's Diary with the calculations in?

FM :hmm:

Just to clarify, I agree, I would only use 21g 7.5s for clay pigeons as per my post and would consider than real pigeons would laugh at those. BBs can hit aerial targets, not ideal, but a good shot fired, it would be a lucky pigeon to fly through such barrage at 50 or 60 yards, if it then got hit by one pellet its coming down and at that height the flight crew on board need to do well to avoid a fatal crash land.

Just to clarify, I agree, I would only use 21g 7.5s for clay pigeons as per my post and would consider than real pigeons would laugh at those. BBs can hit aerial targets, not ideal, but a good shot fired, it would be a lucky pigeon to fly through such barrage at 50 or 60 yards, if it then got hit by one pellet its coming down and at that height the flight crew on board need to do well to avoid a fatal crash land.

while we are on the 21g 7.5 there i had got one mixed in with others (yeah i know it was white )just when they are flying hard and fast you aint got time, anyway it had gone quiet and i took 5 for cuppa looked up and there was this pigeon in the pattern ,thought i would give it a chance so clapped and it flew off :thanks: but not up :lol: it come up about 6 foot and just kept on flying after i had done all the safty checks this thing was now about 50 yards away and moving ,so Bang try my luck one shot and it fell like a bag of hammers.not tried them since ,yeah all it takes is one pellet in the right place but what about the ones in the wrong place

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't feel comfortable using anything less than 30g on quarry. You'd have to hit spot on every time with 28g i feel. Size 7 and 8 are really tiny shot sizes when you see the holes made in cardboard, so i'd never use these either on live quarry. But that's just me.

I am new to pigeon shooting so I've only used one type which are RC Sipe 32g 6. These are between £56 and £61 per 250, which is quite steep, but they hit like a train, especially through a 3/4 choke. ???:lol: :lol:

What do people think of Game Bore Clear Pigeon? These are what I wanted but they were out of stock :lol:

Every gun will shoot different cartridges differently and if you're using multi chokes that will also add another dimension to the equation. You should pattern plate your gun with a few different cartridges to find the one that does what you want and then stick with that. OR you could just buy the cheapest cartridges going and hope for the best!

I have just bought 1000 Eley Realtree Pigeon, 30gm, No6.5, fibre wad to try.

Having heard good reports, the price was right (£173 per 1000) and knowing that Eley don't make bad cartridges, it seems a good gamble.

I normally use Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30gm, No6, fibre wad, but the price has gone through the ceiling.

One downside I have already found with the Eley Advantage, is that the cases are green and I normally use a AL391 semi.

Lots of crawling through the undergrowth looking for cartridge cases may feature heavily in my future. :oops:

I was very disapointed with the Eley Realtree cartridges. :hmm: Yes they were a good cartridge for pigeon shooting , but being realtree I at least expected Advantage realtree patten on the shell caseing perhaps , Max 4 wads or wetlands camo shot. All I got in realtree camo was a pretty box. :oops:

Joking apart a good cartridge though very pricy compared to Rio. :yes: