Deer Offal

henry d

Hope you people might be able to help.I`ve shot 2 doe`s this week one youngster and one oldy,when I opened up the old gal she had very generous amounts of fat in her as well as a lot of caul fat ,all of which I have saved.Question is should I use the caul fat to wrap a joint(of meat!)and has anyone tried this before?Secondly the fat from around the kidneys,liver and other internals I saved,has anyone tried using it like suet as its very hard just like suet is and I would like to give it a whirl,but as I had a very disapointing (beef)steak and (roe)kidney pie due to the beef being tougher than John Prescott`s heart.Lastly any recipes for heart,kidney ,liver etc etc Mucho apreciato. :thumbs:

Guest Mr Pieman

Henry,

deer fat is incredibly bitter in taste. I always remove all the fat from any cuts etc and replace them with pork fat (bacon fat etc) which stops the meat drying out and has a palateable taste. I dion't even use the fat for sausage making. Try it by all means, but don't serve it to friends until you've tried it yourself!!!

PP

• 2 months later...