Zapp's Creole Rabbit

Zapp

Chaps,

Have been playing around with various spice mixes for BBQing steak and chicken, and have come up with one which works very well with rabbit too. You can either cook the coated meat on the bone or take it off with a sharp knife and cook it on skewers.

Here is my formula for the spice rub (it makes quite a lot, but keeps well in a tupperware pot with a lid, and is pretty spicy!)

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika (I havent tried it but I bet smoked paprika would add a nice twist)

1/2 tablespoon salt (go to a full tablespoon if you like)

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon white pepper

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon dried thyme

You will also need a block of butter and some lemon juice.

Take the prepared meat and sling it all into a large bowl/tupperware tub. Add a good handfull of the rub and massage it into the meat. Take a carving fork and stab the meat all over to get the rub well worked in. Keep adding more until the meat is well coated and dry to the touch. Set aside for a few hours.

When the BBQ is ready, set the grill as high above the coals as possible so that you are using a nice steady heat, you can always lower it if it is too sluggish. Set the meat onto skewers if you are using this method (soak these in water for 30 mins before use). Melt 1/4 of a pack of butter (you may need more if you are doing a lot of meat).

Place the meat onto the grill and allow to cook until it begins to sizzle, but dont let it burn too much. Once it has sizzled for a little while, turn it and baste each piece with melted butter (a brush is best for this). Allow to sizzle on each side, turning when the heat begins to get to it a bit too much. After EVERY turn, rebatse with the butter or the meat will be dry. Depending on whether the meat is on the bone or on skewers, keep turning/basting until the thickest parts are done through (I use the hind legs as my guide for meat on the bone).

Once the meat is almost done, start basting with lemon juice as well as butter.

And thats it! As long as you have kept the BBQ heat at a sensible level, you should now have some lovely spicy cajun style rabbit. I like it with salad, a bit of coleslaw (to keep the fireiness at bay!) and a bit of nice fresh bread. Perhaps an ice cold cider or lager aswell :angry:

Hope you enjoy it!

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan