Winchester 20grn Gamepoint Vs 17 grn V-max

Hi all,

This is my first review so be gentle.

I brought my 17 hmr a couple of months ago and started off using the 20 grn

game point as reccomended by my local gunsmiths. A couple of weeks ago after

some recomendations i thought i would try out the 17 grn V- max here are my findings:

For this test i used my Cz 453 Varmint 17 hmr with a optimate 5-20 x 50 scope

and serroco sound moderator and harris bi pod.

(see pic)

Winchester 20 grn Gamepoint super x Vs Winchester 17 grn V-max Supreme

The Winchester 20 grn Gamepoint super x has a jacketed spire tip which had a muzzle verlosity

of 2375 fps where as the lighter 17grn V-max supreme has a silver tipped ballistic tip and has a muzzle verlosity

of 2550 fps. (see pics)

I started off shooting at some targets i found the 17 grn V-max to be a much more accurate round where you can achieve

tighter groups. With the gamepoint 20 grn of 5 shots at 100 yrds i get 3-4 in an inch group with 1-2 straying to the edge of the

inch centre where with the 17 grn V-max all 5 shoots were continually landing in the inch centre.

The only downfall i found was the 17 grn V-max was more affected by a stiff side breeze than the 20 grn gamepoint.

After my rfile was well and truly zeroed i tried to look at penatration of each round i done this by shooting my yellow pages to try

gage the depth the round would go. Both rounds went straight through the yellow pages but the 17 grn Vmax made a bigger exit

hole approx twice the size of the 20 grn gamepoint. I figure that having a heavier round with a jacketed spire tip instead of a ballistic tip

you would achive greater penatration which would do more damge on larger vermin such as a fox.

So after a bit of time on the range i figued it was time to see how these round got in in the field.

I stared with the 17 grn v-max within 5 mins i got my first rabbit / head shoot and was plesently suprised with the ammout

of carcase damage created, It was not the exploding round i expected although there was still a fair amount of damge done. Took my second rabbit

a few mintutes later chest shot still a fair amount of carcase damage, if you are shooting for meat you would have to make head shots all the time!

I then switched to 20 grn V-max got my third rabbit which i was well pleased with 167 paces out not much noticalble damage to the carcase bullet passed

right through small hole each side. (see pics) One thing i will say about the 20 grn gamepoint is that i have had a couple of ricochets when used previously but not that often.

After all this am soorrry to say am still left undecided i love the accuracy of the 17 grn vmax but then i love the extra puch

you get with the 20grn gamepoint especily as you dont get the carcase damage. I think both these rounds are good.

Think i might use the vmax on bunnies but carry a spare mag with the gamepoint in incase i see charlie. Only inch left

and half inch up.

Hope you enjoyed the review

Glynn

post-9821-1215370167.jpg

post-9821-1215370668.jpg

post-9821-1215370701.jpg

post-9821-1215372325.jpg

post-9821-1215372356.jpg

glynn

nice review for your first attempt. both intresting and informative as i read it twice before replying.how did the sound mod perform (is that another review) in the pipeline. weather permitting i am off to christen my hmr tommorow i have got 400 remmie btips and 100 cci gamepoint and i will be doing simmilar tests with mine thanks for taking the time and effort on the review keep up the good work paul

hi

cheers for the replies guys.

On the sound mod front i looked at a few inc the sak and t2 (very expensive) before gong for the serroco.

looked at reviews but mainly took note of what local gunsmiths said as they really know there

stuff and can back up what they say. My mod cost me £35. yes you do get a noise when you

shoot 17 hmr but its not from the gun its from the round breaking the sound barrier so no matter

what sound mod you got on its going to make noise. The strange thing is am able to shoot

more bunnies with my 17 than i am with my 22 with sub sonic rounds dont know why but the bunnies

dont run off as much.

Thnks again for your replies

i am not trying to go off topic here lads just a little add to the note glynn made about shooting more rabbits with his hmr. i took a mate on 1 of my permissions so he could have a go at rabbits (already a competant shot hes done the paper punching) he shot about 16 in total in a couple of hours just sat in my landie popping them off as they came out into the open shot 3 all within a few feet of each other as each rabbit fell the others just sat up puzzled. i went back 2 weeks later with my moderated 22lr parked in the same place 4 rabbits out feeding took a shot 1 rabbit down the other 3 legged it back to the hedge i am going to do a little trial next time. zero without the mod then go back to the rabbits and see what difference it will make. i will post the results paul