recession

bignoel

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baldrick the farm side should be good at the moment as farmers are making money at the moment

Are you sure, bearing in mind that fertiliser, fuel and other inputs are crippling?! Last year was undeniably lucrative for commercially-savvy farmers, but every farmer now has been walloped by increases in costs.

If they hadn't spunked all their cash on Audi TT's and sitting in wine bars then they could weather the storm.

I nearly choked laughing at that. Very true.

Well to come at it from a different angle, at work (currys) i make about half the sales i did this time last year, ad im doing exactly the same as i was last year, if anything my chances of a good sale should be much higher. Just not the number of people walking in that we need.

i,m a building contractor and can remember the last slump,i,m a bricklayer by trade and spent 3 years in germany to make it pay in the mid 90,s.

in the last 5 years or so plenty of none tradesmen have declared themselves builders of some form or another to cash on the boom they are generally the ones that it hits first, (blow ins we call them).

i recon it will hit us all by this time next year the building trade will be down to the hard core who can,t or won,t do anything else and all the estate agents will go back to selling cars and crappy loans and general talentless jobs that suit people who cant make anythingthing usefull.

if you are a youngster thinking of buying your first house my advice would be to wait a while and prices should hit rock bottom.

bleak aint it.

It is their fault for selling houses at ridiculous figures for so long, when they far exceeded their actual value. I bought my house 13 years ago for a little over 50 grand, the one accross the road has just sold for £181,500. If that doesn't exceed the rate of inflation then I'm a chinaman. (bad choice of phrase I know)

I've certainly got no sympathy for industries like these that have been enjoying what they must have known was a huge and unsustainable boom. They must have known because this kind of thing happens over and over and over again.

Yes yesy and yes, it really winds me up. The parts the really gets me is this over inflated house prices are (or were) seen as a good thing! I'm thick and still figured out that anything other than a steady growth is bad for 99% of the population. The 1% being someone with enough money in the first place to cash in even further on the boom at the expense of others (isn't everyone a property developer now?!?). Just the rich getting richer and the rest of us picking up the pieces.

Britain has a mandate to build 250,000 new houses

Local authorities are out there now sorting out the planning permission on green belt land as I write this.... who will buy them? the Polish and other East Europeans?

Myself and Mrs MS just got back from a long weekend away in Brighton. Everywhere, hotels, shops, security on the pier, security in the bars, waiters, waitresses - East Europeans. They are all busy working their butts off to make a living, then I walk out of the hotel...... and English voice from the pavement says "give us some change mate for a cup of tea" Then Chink - the Chink is the sound of the can of lager as he puts it down on the pavement. Now, are the East Europeans buying property here or sending money back home? Many are living in cramped conditions to save as much money as possible. I know they pay taxes etc but I also know the beggars who may get the social security handouts, are young and fit don't pay taxes.

Is this contributing?

I'm a private hire taxi owner/driver. I have worked in a "private home" area for the last 10 years or so and have noticed the amount of "spare/expendable" cash people have has dropped over the last five years or so, much more sharply in the last two. My income has dropped to levels of near despair.

I'm moving to a firm that mainly serves 4 council estates - and am reliably informed that my income will increase again. I don't say this out of snobbishness - but while some of the inhabitants will have bought their homes (albeit at very low prices) few will be struggling to pay massive mortgages - nor do many of them need to keep up with the Jones's new cars etc.

So yep - the recession has touched me.

I'm a private hire taxi owner/driver. I have worked in a "private home" area for the last 10 years or so and have noticed the amount of "spare/expendable" cash people have has dropped over the last five years or so, much more sharply in the last two. My income has dropped to levels of near despair.

I'm moving to a firm that mainly serves 4 council estates - and am reliably informed that my income will increase again. I don't say this out of snobbishness - but while some of the inhabitants will have bought their homes (albeit at very low prices) few will be struggling to pay massive mortgages - nor do many of them need to keep up with the Jones's new cars etc.

So yep - the recession has touched me.

Yep the benefits stay the same no matter what.

We have seen companies of all shapes and sizes going in to receivership around Leicester, eight on our estate in as many months, the down side for us is crime is on the increase with people casing the estate out more often now, we are taking more work on due to the recession and looking after empty units, mainly because they are getting stripped of led and steel.

I work in the oil and gas industry and that is getting quiet. Strange when the price of oil is at a record high! I know of one massive project that was cancelled because they could no longer get finance from the banks which meant a few hundred people out of work all at the same time and in this indusrty that is a lot in one go. A couple of other projects have been cancelled/postponed because of the political situation in places like Nigeria and Iran.

I work for Jewsons who have laid off loads recently and got my own notification of reduncy consultation on Monday. :good: I won't find out whether I'm out or not til the 24th. A worrying time for us as a family as we have 3 kids and the bills are getting bigger all the time. Even if I do keep the job, I'm not sure how they'll feel about the pay increase I'll insist on! :crazy:

I work for Jewsons who have laid off loads recently and got my own notification of reduncy consultation on Monday. :good: I won't find out whether I'm out or not til the 24th. A worrying time for us as a family as we have 3 kids and the bills are getting bigger all the time. Even if I do keep the job, I'm not sure how they'll feel about the pay increase I'll insist on! :crazy:

What will you do if they say no to a pay increase?

That was a bit tongue in cheek! They're laying off all but a few of the external sales force. I stand a better chance of growing a spare cock than keeping the job! :good:

That was a bit tongue in cheek! They're laying off all but a few of the external sales force. I stand a better chance of growing a spare cock than keeping the job! :good:

Think I'm the same. Staying out of my bosses way, my thinking is that if he forgets I'm here he won't think of me when they boot more people out!

I work for Jewsons who have laid off loads recently and got my own notification of reduncy consultation on Monday. :good: I won't find out whether I'm out or not til the 24th. A worrying time for us as a family as we have 3 kids and the bills are getting bigger all the time. Even if I do keep the job, I'm not sure how they'll feel about the pay increase I'll insist on! :good:

Tinbum there is a vacancy at jewsons if your quick :crazy: . http://www.buildersmerchantsjournal.net/ne...ged+%A31m+fraud

The Blame for all this rests with Brown & the Banks.

Brown borrowed heavily & sold our Gold to make it look rosy.

The Banks got reckless and loaned way above what Joe Public could afford.

Result a false feel good factor and high levels of borrowings.

This was followed by the escalation in oil prices (which affects production & distribution costs of everything).

That runt in Downing Street could have helped by reducing the tax burden of fuel not trying to rip us off on Global Warming bull.

the stupid bit is who actually cannot afford their mortgage, I know the rates on mine have come down and its fine at the moment as long as interest rates don't go up severely. Northern Rock got blown out of all proportion by the media and obviously has stitched up a lot of people due to bad lending but anyone coming to the end of a fixed term with them should have gained at least 2 years of growth on their properties prices so should have been fine to port their mortgage.

This whole thing is very odd because the reasons just don't add up when you look into them part of me thinks its just a big media led conspiracy to ensure the banks make back money they lost in the US property market. One things for sure we're all well except Martin going to feel the effects of it whether through job insecurity or just higher prices elsewhere.

Second rant!

The recently published housing industry job losses are only the tip of the iceberg, companies up and down the country having been shedding staff for months.

In addition to the staff losses its reckoned that at least 100000 subcontractors have lost employment as a direct response to the slow down in the number of new homes being built.

Our work has slowed down quite a bit. The work we are pricing up ends up being really tight. We are managing at the minute but having to have a hand in a few other pies to maintain a steady cash flow. Good news for us though is Mrs Lee has been where she works with the council for over 18 years now and is on a good crack.

I have been laying a brindle block driveway this week and the prices we have been getting goods for is mega low compared to this time last year. Merchants are constantly trying to beat their competition by lowering their prices to rock bottom.

its not so much the mortgage cost, its the general cost of living..... my wife don't work at the mo, we think she's better off at home with little'un then paying someone else to watch him learn and grow....

food, bills, petrol!!! etc etc i really am feeling the pinch....

lucky side is, im a heating engineer/plumber.... people aren't asking me to fit so many boiler or bathrooms etc right now but then again,people cant choose when there boiler breaks down, so im lucky there.... i thank god for the foreigners that's all i can say.

keep thinking bout downgrading my car though to somthing more ecconomical...... but the losses incurred in value through higher road taxes and petrol costs etc dont make it viable.... dont know what to do... one things for sure, ill end up with a crapper car...

the stupid bit is who actually cannot afford their mortgage, I know the rates on mine have come down and its fine at the moment as long as interest rates don't go up severely. Northern Rock got blown out of all proportion by the media and obviously has stitched up a lot of people due to bad lending but anyone coming to the end of a fixed term with them should have gained at least 2 years of growth on their properties prices so should have been fine to port their mortgage.

This whole thing is very odd because the reasons just don't add up when you look into them part of me thinks its just a big media led conspiracy to ensure the banks make back money they lost in the US property market. One things for sure we're all well except Martin going to feel the effects of it whether through job insecurity or just higher prices elsewhere.

I can't afford mine, but then I'm earning about half of what I was when we bought the place :crazy:

Lots of equity in it though (at the moment), so if we succeed in selling it for a half-decent price (big if) we should be able to buy outright (ish) and have a simpler life, if not in quite such nice surroundings :good:

The Blame for all this rests with Brown & the Banks.

Brown borrowed heavily & sold our Gold to make it look rosy.

The Banks got reckless and loaned way above what Joe Public could afford.

Result a false feel good factor and high levels of borrowings.

This was followed by the escalation in oil prices (which affects production & distribution costs of everything).

That runt in Downing Street could have helped by reducing the tax burden of fuel not trying to rip us off on Global Warming bull.

I can just see the future when the full brunt of this recession come in. Brown will say that its due to Global warming and that this is the price for using too much fuel etc. They will use any excuse as long as they dont blame themselves.

But Labour will **** up this country before the next government goes in, they will pick up the pieces and Labour will be blaming them for it. Then Labour get voted back in.

I still want to know why Labour are still in? In 1997 there motto was Education, Education, Education, and our global education ranking has dropped like 10 places.

Labour are just a bunch of idiots who have not got a brain between them.

Df