Cocker puppy

remytherussell

OK you mines of information.

Going to pick a Cocker puppy tonight.

5 in litter, 2 bitches, 3 dogs.

Want a chocolate colour dog, choice of the 3 dogs then.

Anything specific to look for apart from normal signs, alertness, bright eyes, coat etc.

Only 7 days old. Is it too early to make a choice.

We know the breeder very well, has a gun on our shoot.

Thanks in anticipation.

RTR (Happy to have a playmate)

Thanks for that. I thought so. Born Nov 3rd.

I think breeder just wants to show them off.

Problem is going on holiday 15th Dec for 3 weeks. (Well I,m going to my favourtite kennels)

Would a choice be possible by mid-December, say @ 6 weeks.

thanks, and I wont get jealous, promise. QUite looking forward to having a playmate.

RTR

Leave it as late as possible.

Choose and walk away with it on the day.

The best time is 7weeks and three days according to the Guide dogs for the Blind.

I have bred Cockers (Some Champions) for 15 years.

regards RAR (Maedrow)

Want a chocolate colour dog, choice of the 3 dogs then.

Anything specific to look for apart from normal signs, alertness, bright eyes, coat etc.

RTR

As well as the alertness, bright eys coat etc to make sure you are getting a good dog pick it up and look at the back end, underneath. Make sure it has got dangly bits. Dont fall for the old , Oh its only cold Jim, They come down when its a year old Jim or the old chestnut, well send them in the post Jim. Honestly RTR, I cannot emphasise enough that if they are not there walk away.

Also while the breeder is not looking just have a count how many legs are on the cur and DO make sure that it only has ONE in each corner. If they tell you it is superfast with an extra limb Jim,. dont believe them.

I have no personal experience in this matter as my dogs Tripod and Jaffa were sourced from reliable dealers and I have the papers to prove it as well. Just some bloke I know bought a bit of a lemon.

Hope this helps

Jim

P.S If they constantly smell of fish guts and creosote, Walk away

Remy Ive had three working cockers now and Father 4 before me I think they are a much maligned dog and very adaptable. Its good to see you are not going for the boring old Lab or GSP (only joking fellow dog owners) They are very adaptable dogs and besides admirable workers make exceptionally loyal companions and house dogs.

Spend some time with the litter on the day of chosing and I bet you your dog will choose you rather than the other way round. If possible see both parents especially the sire if youre getting a dog.. you dont want any nasty traits passed on.

If your dog pup is to be housetrained indoors, be patient. cocker dogs (and Springers) are very excitable, have little early control over their bladder, can **** for England and do so, well into their adolescence.. :lol:

That said if its from a good stock you wont find a more obliging, happy and friendly little chap anywhere.

On a more serious note... you are now well into your perceived lifespan, almost the twilight years for a breed such as you.. are you not worried that your owner sees this dog as a replacement ? I hope your introduction isnt acrimonious. How are you feeling?:lol:? :):):lol:

OUr cocker was taken home at 5 weeks, 1st dog and probably way too early.

Reckon he has some seperation disorder as he does not want to be alone ever.

When he's out the back he tries to bury thru' the metal / glass back door like an olympic swimmer trying to get in.

Any similar probs with young dogs?