Going rabbiting with a Goshawk

pigeon master

Hello all,

Just had a chat with a guy on the phone who asked me to quote for some cameras he wanted, anyway this guy mentioned he wanted the camera after he had a Goshawk pinched so we got talking about where he takes his birds etc etc.

It just so happens that this guy hunts his birds on the land I shoot so he has invited me to join him on a hunt after I have got to know the birds he has, they are very timid these Goshawks and hunting with someone new can through them a little bit apparently so its crucial they get to know me.

Has anyone been out with these birds before, I’ve seen Harris Hawks hunt before but going out with a beast like a Goshawk is going to be dogs b#ll#cks stuff.

Not sure when this is happening because he’s phoning me tonight but I will keep you updated with some pictures I hope.

The PM :)

PM I have had and hunted Goshawks for many years, both European and Finnish Goshawks. Must admit I have never heard of a Goshawk or for that matter any hawk having to personally get to know another person other than its handler before it will fly with them in the field!! Normally if the bird has been well manned it is used to other people being around and if at the correct flying weight will be concentrating on slaughtering anything it is unhooded at rather than taking any notice of a guest in the field, if this is not the case than you may well find yourself spending the day chasing it round the countryside. However if the bird is flying well it will be like nothing you have ever seen before, although Harris hawks are good birds they cannot compare to a good Goshawk. 35-40 yard slips on rising pheasant are the norm for a good Goshawk and some of my best flights have been at wild duck rising off ponds. The Goshawk is the finest rabbit hawk god ever designed, whether walked up or over ferrets but the land must support enough quarry for a Goshawk to get really good, as they say practice makes perfect. I am sure you will have a terrific day and if its your first time it will be a day to remember for a long time to come. Let us all know how you get on best of luck!!

Peregrine

Peregrine,

cheers for the constructive reply, its seems a few members are caught up on getting their post tally up rather than commenting on previous posts.

I've been told that the birds he flys are Finish birds that are a little bigger than normal, I've never seen a Gos even at a zoo or falconry show so I'm really looking forward to it.

The ground we'll be hunting on is full of rabbits so its should be a good day.

The chance to see one of these birds do its stuff is going to be something I remember for a long time like you said, but I'm hoping its not the last time I'm out with them.

I will keep you posted on how I get on.

The PM

PM, im guessing he,s trying to get to know you rather than you getting to know his birds ..given the price of a goss its sound practice. i used to be a paid falconer and a day out with a goss i would happily do for free, you will love it mate.. enjoy,

regards coney

p.s let us know how it went tally etc.....

I've been told that the birds he flys are Finish birds that are a little bigger than normal, I've never seen a Gos even at a zoo or falconry show so I'm really looking forward to it.

A gosshawk has a flat top and the lids of grolsch bottles tied up in their jessies and avery distinctive cry ( when will I, will I be famous).

Sorry. very very sorry

Jim

Coney I think your right in what you say, but like I say this guy doesnt know me so yes he will want to get to know me as well as me get to know his birds.

I was on the phone to him last night and I'm going to see him today about his security system but I'm sure we will end up going for a stroll and see what turns up.

Happy days

The PM.

Guys Ive just come back from meeting this guy and I was shocked at the array of birds this guy had, the list goes a little like this, Eagles Reda Tailed Hawks Saker Falcons Gyr Falcons Peregrines, Harris Hawks Snowy Owl amongst every other type you can think of and a few of my favourites the Goshawk.

He showed me round them all over a nice cup of coffee and he explained all kinds of stuff like flying weights which ones he flies to qaurry and which were just show birds.

After that he got all the gear on and handed me a glove, now Ive handled birds before so i think he was little impressed when I felt Ok with one of these extreme raptors on my hand.

The eyes have death written all over them and she was looking keen.

We went for a short stroll a few hundred yards over the fields with his pointer, now this dog was great, its the first time Ive seen a pointer work and it was eye opening to how many rabbits you must walk past without a dog.

Come to a patch of reed bed in a open field and the dog cocked its leg and the tail went still, he said we are onto one and within a split second it made a dash for the far hedge heading into the wind.

This Gos which was on my arm launched at this rabbit and was off in hot pursuit, I thought it had got away but the goshawk went staright through the hedge and this rabbits days were over.

To see the agility of these birds takes your breath away, even through thick cover she dived and turned twisted and grapped at all she could.

We were out for 40 minutes and she had two rabbits.

These birds are something else and to see what these birds can do makes you wonder why we have guns. I will end up getting one of these birds one day but I do owe it to the bird to have the time first.

Well I'm off now so happy hunting from me to you.

The PM

sounds like a real unique experience and one to cherish.

On the pointer, we used to have a GSP and it was amazing on pheasants when it found a pheasant it would freeze stone dead until you gave it the command to flush it, they are amazing dogs.