Magpies

Deako

Doing the rounds this morning, I sat for a while and watched a magpie quite purposely burying several acorns and covering them with leaves.

I've not seen them do this before and wonder if it is a common thing or perhaps another sign that a cold winter may be ahead of us?

I have never allowed an in range magpie to play with his nuts. :)

I was told by a wise old man, that it is a very strong instinct, that makes most creatures hoard and has very little relationship to actual circumstances.

Apparently, most creatures forget where they have stored things anyway.

This is a situation I can sympathise with. :)

Its called Old Age Cranfield!!!

Magpies as will Jays bury surplus when food is plentiful rather than scarce it seems. Foxes do the same with eggs and then never remember where they are. magpies are quite fond of acorns but unlike jays which have a higher dependancy on burried food the magpies memory is not so good.

rjimmer is right the ancient oak woodlands of England have been propagated by Jays some historians say if it wasnt for the humble jay the medievel english fleet could never have been built perhaps we might now all be speaking spanish or portugese or god forbid... French!!!

Viva la Magpie.!

• 1 month later...