Utonagans as working dogs

Rimfire

Hi Guys,

My wife has just bought a Utonagan puppy. I tried desperately to get her to think about a retriever or a lab but she wanted a Utonagan (could have bought at least two retrievers for the price). Does anyone know if you can train this breed to work? I suspect not, as it has been breed to look like and react like a Wolf.

Any thoughts.

Regards

Rimfire

I suspect not, as it has been breed to look like and react like a Wolf.

Look like a wolf but not act like one.

These dogs are a very new breed and a man made one (15 years breeding in the UK). The dogs where bred from the malamute,husky and german shepard with an aim to get a dog the resembles a wolf a closely as possible. Apparently one of the dogs best characteristics is its temperament which to quote "should be sound even when challenged".

I think they are a good looking dog but as for training to hunt I think you would get some funny looks.

Google can make anyone look clever :) (Aled take note)

Dazza,

I hope not, can you picture a driven day with lots of guns and labradors standing ing on the pegs and me with a Urangatang... picking its nose and scratching its harris!

Thank God I was talking about Utonagans and even then I'm not sure that it would be a good idea.

Regards

Rimfire

Probably from the same source as Jonnyni

http://www.utonagan.net/Info.htm

The Utonagan has a wonderful temperament and makes a loving loyal companion. They fit in well with children and pets alike. However, they are not a dog that likes to be left alone and problems such as escaping and destructive behavior may well be encountered. As a "pack" dog they are better suited to the company of another dog, or dogs, unless you can give them your full time companionship.As regards training, they are very intelligent, but can be somewhat stubborn. With careful gentle persuasion, and lots of play reward you can get them to comply.

Sounds like you may end up with more than one, if you can't train the pack to pick up they could always pull the beaters wagon around the shoot :)

post-13-1100186539.jpg