Advice required for applying for a FAC

Madcowz

Hi,

I am very lucky and have permission to suse a shotgun on 4 farms and a large Estate and have now been granted permission to use a rifle so I would like to apply for a FAC.

Several people have recommended to put several different rifles and moderators down on the form in case I want to get one in the near future and I was wondering what you guys suggest?

My neighbour has several and highly recommends a semi auto with a magazine. I have fired this on many occassions and it is great for that 'Fun Fair' style knocking down many bunnies in one go, but I am quite the traditionalist and really like the idea of a bolt action.

I love his .22 with subsonic rounds and think this is the idea rifle/ammunition but what about slightly larger ones for foxes?

I don't know! Looking for advice please.

thanks,

/mad

go for everything !!

may sound daft but they will knock you back on certain calibres for a first application

go for

.22 lr semi auto + mod for day work

.22lr bolt action + mod for night work--explain tht they will have different scopes on

.17HMR + mod for longe rang bunny bashing

.22 hornet + mod for vermin / fox long range work

.223 + mod for foxing

.243 + mod for fox / deer

i was knocked back on ALL my c/f at first but i re-applied six weeks later and got my hornet. i now have the land and permission for my .223

all the best :P

shaun

well i got the cz452 rf with mod for shooting rabbits etc (execelent gun )

and now got the remmington model 7 .243 for fox and deer

so i guess those 2 calibers pretty much do all the work

price of 22 ammo is a lot cheaper then 243 but you dont do plinking shots with a 243

but with 22 ammo around £30 per 500 you can afford you use them more

but if you get into stalking deer a shot from the 243 will more than pay for it self for your frezer

best if you like your mates gun then consider getting one the same

If you are a traditionalist, go for a Ruger 77/22 b/a and a Ruger M77 in 223. These will cover most things, and are the two calibres most likely to be granted. If you are likely to shoot deer, go for a 243 later. As has been said, you should first ask the estate which calibres they will give you permission to use.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I can shoot anything apart from deer as there is already a stalker on the land and the land is already ticketed for most calibres.

Is it worth me putting a couple down that I don't really want so as to be able to use them as negotiation or is that too complicated?

Right now a simple bolt action .22 with a moderator is all I think I need, but like most things, once you start you realise you need/want more. I just want to plan ahead to save me extra expense later on.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are a traditionalist, go for a Ruger 77/22 b/a and a Ruger M77 in 223. These will cover most things, and are the two calibres most likely to be granted. If you are likely to shoot deer, go for a 243 later. As has been said, you should first ask the estate which calibres they will give you permission to use.

Someone likes the Rugers

Someone likes the Rugers

I think he works for them :hmm:

Madcowz,

If you are only going to shoot rabbits and foxes, keep it simple and just apply for those calibres, you can always add rifles later with a variation.

I would go .22 b/a and .223

Yes, it will cost you £26(?) and a load of paperwork, but if that is all you need for now go for that - then you won't have to get into the negotiation bit.

Someone likes the Rugers

I think he works for them :hmm:

Madcowz,

If you are only going to shoot rabbits and foxes, keep it simple and just apply for those calibres, you can always add rifles later with a variation.

I would go .22 b/a and .223

Yes, it will cost you �26(?) and a load of paperwork, but if that is all you need for now go for that - then you won't have to get into the negotiation bit.

Sound logic there, and realistically, what is 26 quid in with the cost of a new gun, scope, mounts, cleaning gear, etc?

If I were you...(all with mods)

FAC Air

.22LR B/A - (S/A's whilst "fun" you will probably live to regret it...)

That should be plenty to get you started, you can learn a bit of a "trade" with the rimrife before exploring the .223 or higher.

I was going to say, if you do your time with the rimfire and get through some ammo, applying later for deer calibres or open tickets will be easier than not being able to demonstrate any experience at all.

I go through phases of fancying FAC air but everyone tells me they overlap the .22 so much I would never use it, but I appreciate in some situations they are a very useful tool.