Night vision aids

rjimmer

Agh RJimmer.

You are quick to jump in, re read my post and come back to me when you have.

The usa will sell gen 3 within the usa, you try buy 1 from the usa, its a government ruling that gen 3  cannot be exported.

The keyword I said is cant buy gen 3 FROM the states, not you cant buy within.

Regards

Ian

Agh RJimmer.

You are quick to jump in, re read my post and come back to me when you have.

The usa will sell gen 3 within the usa, you try buy 1 from the usa, its a government ruling that gen 3  cannot be exported.

The keyword I said is cant buy gen 3 FROM the states, not you cant buy within.

Quote from the website:

"For shipping addresses within North America, you may choose from next-day, 2-day or 3-day UPS delivery. Fully insured, of course.

Do you call Europe, Asia, South America, Australia or anywhere else in this world home? As a licensed exporter, Simon's routinely facilitates customs cleared FedEx deliveries anywhere in the world, usually within 2 to 3 business days."

'Customs cleared' is the problem, I presume.

Not sure about these:

http://www.nightvision.ru/products.html

Does Gen 3 mean the same in Russia?

From http://www.starlightnv.co.uk/:

"Gen. 3 devices are produced only in the USA and the Russian Federation both these countries enforce strict export sanctions upon Gen. 3 devices, consequently there are no commercial Gen. 3 units available outside these two countries with the exception of a limited supply that were manufactured in the UK."

"Military/Enforcement Night Vision

These are generally state of the art devices that attract high prices because of their very high build standards and excellent night vision performance. The US military products are very strictly controlled particularly so in Gen. 3, consequently US and Gen. 3 devices have very long lead times; up to 6 months. Western European and British devices are strictly controlled export wise but their lead times and the time taken until export approval is given is much shorter. Two European manufacturers produce a range of super Gen. 2 tubes with their top of the range intensifier tubes being equal to or better than most of the American Gen.3 tubes."

Not sure what to make of all this. It appears that Gen 3 scopes/binos might be easier to get hold of than rifle-scope/sights.

http://www.nightvisionexperts.com/heatseeker.html

http://www.aimdiscount.com

((((((I could be wrong here ))))))))  but it is my beleif that generation 3 is only meant for military use in this country.

As per quote, I didnt state this as fact.

I was as keen to find out if was possible to obtain the gen 3 in this country.

You will find that soviet made night vision can be not the same standard as the US, you may find that a soviet gen 3 equates to a US gen 2,  I am sure Soviet Bazzar will not agree with this.

I was genuinely serious a while back in getting a gen 3 from the states. I was told that I could not have a gen 3 sent outwith the states, so I looked into having a relative bring me one over, unfortunately if he was caught he could be prosecuted for breeching a  customs law.

I know that the US does export to Governments of other countrys night vision gen 3+ products for militery use only, not to joe public.

I agree it was a bit confusing the quotes you added regarding gen 3 only made in 2 country's then to add except for some made in europe, surely there is then more than two country's  producing gen 3 then.

I am well impressed with the homework you have put in, on the subject, I will endeavour to do more my self before I reply to you.

Regards

Ian

Sounds a good idea, if you can manage to delude customes, on the other hand Canada may have difrent rules regarding the movements of gen 3+ products.

We pay so much this end for products that are real cheap in the USA and Cananda, on the other hand you pay a lot more for European products than we do, Being that everything is bigger and better in the USA they probably dont buy our european products. :(

When I can aford one, I will pay for your flight over and back and give you some first class shooting with  Scottish hospitality thrown in as a bonus.

Great idea

cheers

I've use a kite sight quite extensively on a sniper rifle, only on inanimate targets, I hasten to add.

They are very good on small stuff to about 150 metres, after that I found the reticle too imprecise.

The ones we bought were over £4000 each though...a bit rich for me!  :(

What the heck is Gen 5 going to be like?

I must admit, I am not now sure if Gen 3 is a passive IR device or not. I had thought it was a device that gave a picture of the temperature of the target but that appears to be a completely different animal.

The adds say thet they can be used in complete darkness and them go on to talk about image intensification.

I have read somewhere that there is a health risk with Gen 2 devices, or was that rangefinders?

Interesting to see from a search that I did, how many Gen 3 sights have been taken to the Gulf by we Brits. A potheticly low amount. I'll say no more.

• 2 weeks later...
YP if that were to happen then you guys would only have two for the next conflict. :laugh:  :laugh:

I have been promised some Gen3 goggles for next Monday.

I think they fell off a US carrier heading for Iraq.

Won't be able to buy the rangefinder now!