Midge Repellant

rjimmer

A couple of chaps at work tell me that Avon Skin-So-Soft is used a lot by gillies in Scotland to keep midges away. It is a spray and is £2.50 a container at the moment(special offer), according to the catelogue that was floating about the office last night.

Anybody tried it?

I know this sort of topic has been aired before, but I can't be bothered to hunt for it!

Skin-so-soft is ok if they aren't in plauge proportions. We had massive swarms on the Tay this September probably due to the wet summer and it wasn't fun. :P

yeh but if they are in plague proportions there is not a lot that would keep them away.

I have just finished work on an estate in Scotland working as a gillie.

This was on the west coast - which means the midges were seriously bad. In fact I can't even begin to describe to you how bad they were!

I tried everything - 'Skin So Soft', 'Jungle Formula' etc...

Skin So Soft works for some people and not others. I found that the only one to work for me was 100% deet. Its very hard to find, because it is so bad for one!

Nothing came near me, including the client!

Saying that, apparently the Army use Skin So Soft!

Skin so soft does work but only the green bottle called Woodlands,most fishermen round here at loch lomondside find it excellent, I fish more than i shoot and have never been bothered by midges and although my misses comes out in lumps at their bites etc and attracts them from miles away it helps her as does taking odourless garlic pills,the pills seem to stop them coming near even if she has no skin so soft on but you need to start the pills a fortnight before venturing out for good effect.

clanchief

Problem with most midge repellants is that they contain DDT - a very, very nasty agent used in Vietnam war. There is a product called Nordik Summer - a Scandinavian product; you can check it out and order it through the Ray Mears website (see products). Apparently, its excellent and smells great, no DDT either.

• 1 month later...

There is a new one doing the rounds that says that if you eat MARMITE then after a while it builds up in your system and keeps the bugs away!

Last year whilst on holiday in the New Forest I used the extra strength (DEET??) spray that I got from MILLETS. Kept them away but was not suitable for children or to be put directly onto skin.

I'll have to try "Skin so soft" less chance of cancer.