Ambers first pheasant drive

pigeon master

Hello guys,

I had my little ESS bitch Amber out on Saturday, she’s just gone 6 months so I decided to take her, and me on our first driven peasants day as beaters.

At first I thought it was a mistake because she was yapping at other dogs when we arrived but she settled down OK and by the time we got dropped off at the first drive she was ready to go.

I was going to keep her on the lead and just follow behind so she could get a look at what the other dogs were doing but there was no chance of that, she wanted to get in there and away she went.

She was responding to all my commands and looked like a true pro by mid afternoon.

All the guys were commenting that she was a great little dog and at her age she showed that she was easy to control and keen to work.

She did me very proud, and an extra bonus I was asked to bring my gun along, as I’m one of the beaters who actually shoot, which surprised me. I thought all the guys beating would shoot but this was not the case. The shoot organiser said if I bring my gun next time I can take any birds that get behind us so I’m looking forward to that.

This is my first year of regular shooting and taking part in the other forms of our sport and I’m loving it, I’ve made some great friends and I’ve been very surprised at how helpful everyone of them have been.

A very happy PM

Cheers lads,

with it being my first gundog I thought that training her was going to be harder than what it has been but when I think about it, these dogs and all the other breeds of gundogs already have the instincts in their breeding dont they so aslong as you spend some time on them they will get the message.

The shoot is one of these informal steups with a group of farmers and guns chipping in a few quid and releasing a load of pheasants onto their land so for me its been a great way to get into it rather than spending 100's of pounds a on few shoots.

NPPC Club members, the new lists are out so lets hope they are flocking together soon.

PM