Smoking no more

jimdfish

The goverment has just released a white paper that will ban smoking in every workplace, cafe resteraunt and every pub that serves food. Private clubs will vote on the ban and every pub will bar smoking at the bar. I enjoy smoking, I love smoking and if you dont want to inhale my second hand smoke ( which saves you money ) then dont come in. Nanny bloody state

Is there any more evocative smell that links the majority of good times in your life than that of a pub in which thousands of fags have been smoked and thousands of pints have been supped. I think not. Think of the laughs with the lads, the girls you met, the rucks that went off.

I for one do not want to grow old drinking in pubs where every table has a brass number inset into it and crappy, below par food is the norm and the only regulars are the barstaff.

If heaven smells it will smell like the Ploughs carpet

Jim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can honestly say, in the 1-1/2 years since i quit ,it hasent bothered me to go into a bar and have peeps smoking around me,wouldnt be a bar otherwise ,now the restraunt side different matter ,didnt like it when i smoked and dont like it now,no smoking in restraunts i support, food sold in the bar ,no problem.

your time is winding down fellas make the most of it .

martin

Jim, BarriO,

Is there any more evocative smell that links the majority of good times in your life than that of a pub in which thousands of fags have been smoked

I worry about your generation.

Let me put it like this....she was petite, pretty, blonde, and very talented in the womanly arts. Whenever I pass a lady wearing "White Linen" I have an evocation. (I think that's how it's spelled)

You've been spending too much time in that boozer lads.

Eug

I think that the point made by Teal is excellent.

Because of the nature of my business, our insurers survey us every year. Although we now employ only one person who smokes, they still have a dicky fit at the fact that I allow him to smoke in one prescribed place at prescribed times. At last I shall be able to stop it outright.

Now, what about exclusion zones???

webber

I'd support a ban on smoking in public places.

Fair enough.

However bear in mind that places such as restraunts and pubs are in fact not public places.

They are private places to which the public is allowed access by consent of the owner. The owner or their representative is entitled to bar access to anyone for whatever reason. They are not publicly owned and the public has no absolute right of access.

If government wants to ban smoking in public buildings (i.e. state owned buildings) then as the owner they have that right, but to outlaw an activity in a private establishment should not be within their right to do. They may have the power, they certainly do not have the right.

Mark

Your points are correct, but slightly flawed.

You are I feel forgetting that cafes etc are also places of work. The proposed act therefore seeks to protect the health of workers, and I suppose the health of customers as a byproduct.

Dont forget the entertainer Roy Castle. He never smoked, but died from lung cancer, believed to have been triggered by his working in the smokey environment of clubs etc.

I have never smoked, and I avoid places with such an atmosphere as I object to smelling like an ashtray afterwards. The problem lingers long after the customers have left the premises. My job quite often takes me into clubs and pubs, its always a relief to get out into the fresh air.

webber

The government havn't thought this one through yet.

In most of the major cities in GB there will be thousands of people standing outside pubs and clubs smoking and drinking and fighting and swearing and ******* etc etc etc. It is bad enough when they pubs and clubs close but this will go on all night long.

Bars in quite country villages will now have people standing outside smoking all day long giving them a bad name for people hanging about the doorways.

The traditional pub will suffer IMO.

Webber, employers have a duty of care to their employees. This means that they should provide adequate filtration and ventilation, not that they should be forced by law to prevent their customers from choosing to smoke.

Alternatively they might require that staff be smokers themselves or be clear from the outset that the job involves exposure to smoke. (Pub in smoky atmosphere shocker!).

For information, I do not smoke.

Why people think it can be acceptable to potentialy dammage the health of others is beyond me. they would not think it axxeptable to if some one pined some one down and injected them with a drug that in 20 years time would give some one lung cancer. My brother in law is a Drey man and he has to go in to pubs each day to deliver beer etc and has to endure smoke so do all sorts of other sales reps and of course the bar staff, cleaners and bar mangers surely this cant be fair to expect people to put up with this in the work place

JMHO

Dave

Mark, your not wrong; but the employers also have a duty of care to their customers, some of whom dont smoke.

Employing only persons who smoke would be seen as positive descrimination, and no sensible employer would go down that route for fear of an employment tribunal.

As for defining adequate with reference to ventilation :P

The bottom line is I fear that we now live in a litegous society, all too willing to try and sue the **** off anyone who may have a valid insurance policy.

I am no lover of Blair and Co, but on the face of it, this may be something that they get sort of right.

Its a pity that they are in the process of ballsing up hunting with dogs, firearms legislation, game license, etc.

webber

Webber, perhaps you are on to something there.

I am personally allergic to governments, so any attempt by them to tell people what they can and can't do is a non-starter. I don't see why though, any employer should be told who they can and can't employ.

The litigation thing though interests me. If insurers were to ramp up premiums for those without a clean air filtration system (I'd be surprised if there wasn't already a standard for this) then the industry would self-regulate.

Mark

Dont forget that a similar system has been seen to work in Ireland, and therefore it is reasonable to assume that such a ban would work in Uk.

Long term peoples health must improve. Governments have been trying to stop people from smoking for decades. You cant get much more to the point than "smoking kills"

I accept that there is a large tax levy on tobacco. A trip around some hospital wards would justify this. It cant be cheap to saw off someones leg, and then provide all the necessary aftercare.

A friend of mine who was a 40 a day man had to go into hospital a few years ago for a vein job done. Virtually everyone on the ward was there due to the effects of smoking. They were mainly legs off. When John came out the fags were finished, thankfully he had seen the light.

webber

I will not eat in a restaurant that permits smoking and I avoid confined areas where people are smoking (including bars).

I hate coming home with my clothes and hair smelling of someone elses cigarette smoke.

Thats my choice.

If someone else is happy with those situations, thats their choice. :P

It seems to be working OK in Ireland. :P

jono any chance of sending us a few pouches :):P or putting me in touch with your supplier B) :D

Jordan

Cheeky or what :):D:D

First rule of being a Yorkshire man. Never pay full price for **** all :P:D:D

The stash of 500 x 50g packets was personnally imported by myself :D:D:D

Alternatively Cross Green market in Leeds on a Sunday morning. Get there before 6am, before trading standards or Five O turn up. You'll be amazed what you can buy in the dark hours of a Sunday morning :):):)

Jonno

Eugene

I worry about your generation.

Let me put it like this....she was petite, pretty, blonde, and very talented in the womanly arts. Whenever I pass a lady wearing "White Linen" I have an evocation. (I think that's how it's spelled)

But the smell of ale and fags still reminds me of happy times with the lady's , Many a beast I have woken up with after a good session . And the joys of sneaking out the door

without detection , and the horror of seeing them when sober .

The above would not have been done without cigs and ten pints !

Though I have to be captain sensible nowadays , as her indoors would not aproove of such behavior .

Bring back " The snug " so we can all go in there . :P

However bear in mind that places such as restraunts and pubs are in fact not public places.

They are private places to which the public is allowed access by consent of the owner. The owner or their representative is entitled to bar access to anyone for whatever reason. They are not publicly owned and the public has no absolute right of access.

If government wants to ban smoking in public buildings (i.e. state owned buildings) then as the owner they have that right, but to outlaw an activity in a private establishment should not be within their right to do. They may have the power, they certainly do not have the right.

to quote webber as well

Mark, your not wrong; but the employers also have a duty of care to their customers, some of whom dont smoke.

Employing only persons who smoke would be seen as positive descrimination, and no sensible employer would go down that route for fear of an employment tribunal.

if i may draw your attention to the plight of the canadian smoker,B.C. Edmonton ,and more to follow ,smoking banned from all restaraunts period ,bars where no minors allowed smoking ok,but dont hold your breath,cafe's no smoking period ,you guys are coming kicking and screaming into the NOSMO-KING times.

mark wether you like it or not the law will persuade all retailers to comply,they need operating licences dont they !!!!!!

see your point ,and aknowledge the fact i smoked for 25 years ,but the end of the world as you know it is nigh

martin