Smoking no more

jimdfish

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would totally back a smoking ban :P . I work part-time in a student bar and when you come home at about 3am your hair stinks, your clothes stinks, your eyes sting and you wake up in the morning you feel as if you've smoked about 60 fags cause your throat is full of flem.

I don't know how people on here can not back a ban because you could be potentially giving people lung cancer in years to come.

I don't smoke myself but unless they bring in a smoking ban I might aswell because I'm not any healthier.

Sorry if people get offended by what I said but I'm just giving my opinion.

Fair point ollie , It just seems that this country is turning into a nanny state , from what I have been told smoking used to be more prevalent in the 40s,50s etc but there was no uproar then .

A quote from the bbc's website on the ban from Health Secretary John Reid

He said: "In a free society, men and women ultimately have the right within the law to choose their own lifestyle, even when it may damage their own health.

"But people do not have the right to damage the health of others, or to impose an intolerable degree of inconvenience or nuisance on others.

Maybe this could be turned around into drinking ,something I don't do very much compared to my earlier years ie How much violence ,vandalism,intimidation,domestic disputes ,death ,cost to the taxpayer (police ,ambulance ,hospital service ,social workers etc) does this cause to the general public . I know I would feel safer standing next to someone smoking a cig , than walking through many city centres on a weekend .

What next Car exhausts ,mobile phones ,The sun ,full fat milk !

When I smoke I do take other people into consideration , Yes I know the health risks having had cancer 8 years ago and having to go to check ups for five years afterwards in the oncology department , and seeing and speaking to many cancer victims .

A seperate room for smokers in a pub/club with extraction and smoking bar workers etc could be a compromise

Cheers :P

A seperate room for smokers in a pub/club with extraction and smoking bar workers etc could be a compromise

Cheers :P

Well thats what I thought they would do, because I think thats the way they went about it in the Irish Republic and I think that is the best way to do it so that there is no discrimination.

I would totally back a smoking ban :P . I work part-time in a student bar and when you come home at about 3am your hair stinks, your clothes stinks, your eyes sting and you wake up in the morning you feel as if you've smoked about 60 fags cause your throat is full of flem.

I don't know how people on here can not back a ban because you could be potentially giving people lung cancer in years to come.

I don't smoke myself but unless they bring in a smoking ban I might aswell because I'm not any healthier.

Sorry if people get offended by what I said but I'm just giving my opinion.

has someone said to you at any point that unless you work in this bar youre having it. Nope. macdonalds does not allow smoking. Or starbucks, or while I think of it does marks and Spencer or poundstretcher. I do not like going into boots as the smell of perfume overwhelms me and it makes me smell like a poof. The cure, I no longer go into Boots. not ever. All of my personals are bought at poundstretcher. No perfume counter you see.

Just out of interest, how many of you backing a ban drive. Benzene is a horrible chemical that will mess you up worse than cigarette smoke. How many of you barbeque in summer. Look at the statistics about what you inhale during an ouitdoor cookout and then complain about smoking. How many of you recycle everything that you purchase or actively look for goods with reduced packaging. Ever seen the statistics about the pollution which oil refineries cause so you can have plastic this and plastic that.. How many of you have agreed to the wifes demands for a new fridge or freezer because the old one looks a bit tatty. Ever seen a fridge mountain or how titanium dioxide is manufactured so your white goods may be white. Look at the bigger picture people.

jim

I think some of you are missing the point . It's another infringement on our civil libertys . Next the gov. will be taking our right away to hunt with dogs . Where does it stop ? With certain members of our society wearing yellow stars ? Or having to sit on one side of the bus just because they choose to wear a red hat ?

As somebody who does partake in the pleasures of tobacco , it feels that my rights are being infringed on . No provision has been made for people who choose to smoke , the provision has been made for the folks that don't .

all the best yis yp :P

Well Y.P. if they got a seperate room in a public place for people to have a cig when they want, would that not be a provision for those who smoke.

Jim I think your taking that a bit out of context, i.e. if we have a bbq in the summer it's because we choose to. We don't choose to get unhealthy passive smoke blew in our faces by people if we are out for a sociable drink.

When im down south, i go out to nite clubs and bars, couldnt believe it the first morning when i woke up in my tent and there was no smell of smoke! No wash in the atlantic for me! :-) but on the downside u inhale about 6 fags worth everytime u go through the door to a bar because every1s outside smokin!

Ollie

Your missing the point fella . I'll try to make it a bit easyer to understand .

The law is going to stop peoples right of choice .

I.E If you smoke you can not smoke in the pub .

The next law to be passed is going to stop those that want to hunt with dogs doing so .

Handguns were band because some nutter went off on one .

WHERE is it going to stop ollie :P

In 1930's Germany people who were Jewish had to wear a yellow star .

Do you get my drift now ?

Ollie

Your missing the point fella . I'll try to make it a bit easyer to understand .

The law is going to stop peoples right of choice .

I.E If you smoke you can not smoke in the pub .

The next law to be passed is going to stop those that want to hunt with dogs doing so .

Handguns were band because some nutter went off on one .

WHERE is it going to stop ollie :P

In 1930's Germany people who were Jewish had to wear a yellow star .

Do you get my drift now ?

Here Here YP

Guns making the countryside noisy for the ramblers. Well soon put a stop to that.

Happy meals. They dont make us happy. Ban them

Fox hunting, Never done it but it sounds a bit iffy. That can definetely go.

Angling, people trying to catch fish using hooks, not on your nelly.

ID cards, detainment without trial, positive discrimination, CCTV, smoking bans, now thats a bloody good idea.

Jim

To the pro smokers:

Why should a non smoker have to endure the inhelation of cigarete reek just because he choose to go down to his local for a few sociables with his m8s?

I am guessing the reply to that is that he does not have to go to the local.

No one is saying smokers cant go to a pub, just that they cant participate in there addiction in the pub.

Dave

To the non-smokers,

People have been smoking in pubs for centurys and no-one ever complained, the government and other bodies have came up with this passive smoking **** and people have jumped on the band wagon with blinkers on :P .

just that they cant participate in there addiction in the pub.

Dd yes it is an addiction just remember who allowed children to be subjected to the most addictive drug in the world and permit the tobbaco companys to prey on them. All down to money.

Looks like we may have debated this subject to death; so lets summarise it.

Government intend to ban smoking in enclosed public areas and work places.

Smokers dont like it.

Non smokers dont like smoking second hand smoke and stinking like an ash tray should they choose to visit a pub etc.

Many smokers may choose to give up; good. You may live longer and be able to work untill you are 70, because various governments have ballsed up the pension system. Suggestion spend the fag money on a pension.

Fewer people suffering from smoking related illness means fewer doctors and nurses, who are expensive to train, and difficult to recruit. Therefore long term a less costly health service.

No one has said that they are going to ban smoking; yet! That will probably take decades which should be long enough for all current smokers to quit or die, probably from the effects smoking.

I advised in a previous post that I only employed one smoker. Hes now quit. Weve since had a vote and there will no longer be any designated smoking area. I wonder if the insurance premium will come down? Somehow, I think that theres more chance of Tony Banks joining a hunt!

webber

Being a NON smoker Myself for the past 6 weeks, I now find myself on the other side of the fence, :P

However we are all fighting the fight against the Hunting ban and soon the shooting Ban, and then it will be the fishing Ban.

All of the above are traditions which have gone on for a long time, Even Smoking in Public Bars.

So who are we to condemn another person for what he or she wants to do, so long as it is lawfull.

Dont forget that 25 years ago just about every home in the UK had a working fossil fuel fire, these fires gave off as many harmful gasses

We now have millions of motor vehicles on our roads which give off as many gasses

what would you say if we had a ban on the petrol and diesel engine. :P

In my opinion it dosent matter what we say or do, someone somewhere will always complain about it. Its time we all lived and let live

This post is going to upset some of the members on here , but i'm sure your all big boys , with shoulders big enough to take it .

Some of you sound like the poeple who support the hunting ban .

"oo it makes my clothes smell " "it's harming me "

"it's nasty peole who kill foxes " " oo it's horrible "

I've tryed my best to get some of you to open your eyes and look at the bigger picture.

We the people of this country are being pushed into a corner by the powers that be .

I'm going to write to my MP , to try and get the gov. to ban 4 wheel drive motors , for people who live in towns . As folks that live in towns have no use for them . An lets face it they do drink alot of fuel on the school run . :P

just that they cant participate in there addiction in the pub.

Dd yes it is an addiction just remember who allowed children to be subjected to the most addictive drug in the world and permit the tobbaco companys to prey on them. All down to money.

Two wrongs dont make a right!

I am not missing the point passeve smoking damages peoples health and is a daily hazzard for many people.

some one getting shot by a lamper is a freek accident caused by an iresponsable fool.

What about the civil liberties of the non smoker.

People have been smoking for years, less people used to complain because more people used to smoke and 40 or so years ago it was not seen as the Health Hazzard that it is

Lets not confuse the issue the ban on smoking in pubs is not remotely linked to the ban on hunting with hounds. Every one knows that is part of the class war supported by our communist government

Dave

DD Here Here mate,

I was a 20 a day smoker and gave up 7 years ago because basically I wanted to live longer than my father who died of a massive heart attack due to smoking.

My point in favour of restricting (not banning) the areas in which smoking is allowed is this.... I choose not to smoke for my health and that does not effect other people in the slightest, If someone chooses to smoke then do it but you shouldn't be allowed to or want to do it where you are obviously damaging peoples health or quality of life. :P

apart from that you smell really bad. :P

thats a great point V.D., I choose not to smoke cause I want to live as long as possible and I can see the money that my dad wastes on fags.

Y.P. I don't know how you can say that we sound like the anti's against hunting :P that is just stupid how can you put a restriction (not a ban on smoking) in the same bracket as a possible ban on hunting.

The only reason this is happening now and not 20, 30 or 40 years ago like some of you said is because there is more awareness now of the dangers of passive smoking.

I'll probably get a load of lip back for this post but it is just my opinion.