Anybody shoot seagulls?

Steve

Hi guys.

If anybody has ever shot seagulls before, what size of cartridge were you using?  I've found that you need at least a 4 to bring down some of the bigger gulls,  whereas the smaller ones can be easily brought down with 6's and 7's.

:(

Very funny Lazza   :laugh:  :laugh: .

Of course I was referring to the herring gull, and the greater and lesser black-backed gull which can be legally shot at all times of the year  :( .

I no longer need artificial calls to attract birds as I have now learned to speak to the animals.  I have a certificate from the Dr. Dolittle Language School to prove it.

Grrr Grrr Woof! Wooof!! Coo Coo!

For everyone apart from Steve, that means:

I don't shoot gulls as there is no big call for it around here, & thanks for letting me know which ones I could shoot, as I have been trying to find out for ages. Now all I need to know is what they look like. I was only joking mate, honestly!!  :(

I guess nobody is going to answer my question then?

If the seagulls aren't damaging the crops etc, what are huge numbers of them doing there?  Did they just fancy a day trip inland?  Why are they listed as pests that can be shot all year round?

Does anyone eat foxes?  Maybe we shouldn't shoot them either!

It's nice to know everyone has such high morals, next you'll be telling me I shouldn't shoot badgers, raptors or domestic pets   :laugh:  :laugh:  - only kidding by the way!

I've copied the relevant bit from the BASC website and pasted it below.  Remember, we live in a democracy and I'll shoot anything on this list because I'm allowed to!  

Bird Pest Species

The following thirteen bird pest species may be killed or taken by authorised persons at any time under annual open and general licences issued by the Department of the Environment. No individual has to apply for a licence:

Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Rook, House Sparrow, Starling, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Collard Dove*, Herring Gull, Jay*, Lsr Black-backed Gull, Gt. Black-backed Gull

*Protected in Northern Ireland

Mammals Recognised as Pests

The following mammals can be controlled by legally approved methods all year round:

Fox, Rat, Mouse, Rabbit, Squirrel, Mink, Weasel, Stoat, Feral Cat

Steve, I didn,t get the impression that anybody was "knocking" you for shooting them. I certainly wasn,t.

I do not shoot in wildernesses and have to assume that most of the time someone could be watching me, albeit from a distance.

I try to be aware of this.

I leave my hide and kill a wounded pigeon quickly.

I am careful when relieving myself.

I don,t shoot at any birds other than pigeons, crows, magpies or jays.

I pick up all dead birds and take them from the shooting area.

I have no wish to cause "controversy" with any of my actions.

If I give nobody a reason to complain ,they can,t.

I don,t see this attitude as weakening my "rights".

It gives me peace of mind and doesn,t spoil my sporting interests at all.

Thanks Cranfield.  Wrong side of the bed thing happening this morning  :( .

What pi**ed me off is that the farmer asked me to shoot the gulls, as he was having trouble with large numbers of them.  As he is kind enough to let me shoot over his land anytime I like, I think I owe him something in return.  I got the impression that I was being made out to be some irresponsible hooligan with a shotgun - which I definitley am not!

Congratulations on your code of ethics, I hope we all try to be as thoughtful.

peter, my "understanding" is that you can shoot pigeons at night.In the same way you can shoot ducks ,geese and vermin at night.

You cannot shoot "game" at night, ie. pheasants, partridge,or deer.

Do you "call" your foxes in, or do you locate them and rely on your rifles range ?

We have "called" them by rubbing a small block of polystyrene on the landrover windscreen,the squeaking noise it makes seems irresistable to foxes.

A friend (who moved abroad some time ago) use to be able to call them by squeaking in to his hand, something I can,t do.

Is your rifle "silenced"? We use 12 bores and have to cover quite an area in an evening because of possible disturbance to people as well as foxes.

Its not all suitable land to use a rifle on.

steve i had an episode like this a while back . the farmer asked me to thin the seagulls out , i was not to keen on doing this as they were not realy causing any problem other than annoying the farmer .we did `t fall out over it and in the end he got someone else to do it for him. and i still shoot vermin for him an a regular basis, but only if the species is causing damage !!!!.