rabbit hunting

erk108

i recently started hunting rabbits with a shotgun and need a bit of advice please.I am using express supremegame 30g no6 shot and have had some success at near targets but further targets keep missing.i was thinking of changing to eley hymax 36g no5 shot to see if it makes any difference for further targets.Also where is the best place to aim at a sitting rabbit head or body?.

i recently started hunting rabbits with a shotgun and need a bit of advice please.I am using express supremegame 30g no6 shot and have had some success at near targets but further targets keep missing.i was thinking of changing to eley hymax 36g no5 shot to see if it makes any difference for further targets.Also where is the best place to aim at a sitting rabbit head or body?.

What sort of range are you trying to take them at? Dont aim at a part on the rabbit, point at the rabbit and pull the trigger!

My shotgunning efforts over several decades have always been hampered by thinking it will kill rabbits at a much greater range than it will. A lot of people I've shot with, especially those new to the game, shoot at rabbits that are far too far away. When you show them the limit on the ground they can't believe it.

Pace out 40 yards and look hard at the distance. You are chancing your arm at anything further than that. Thirty five yards is a better limit. If you want to get them from further afield, get a rifle.

Edited by Evilv

• 2 weeks later...

i use a moderrated .410 with eley 3" subsonics for rabbits . to judge distaces i use a tape measure and mark out 30 yards i then walk the distance counting the paces, for me 46 paces = 30 yds. i either stalk rabbits or sit about 20 yds up wind of a warren and shoot the rabbits.

i have found when i have shot rabbits at a warren it takes around 20 minutes for the next one too pop out once i have picked up.

hope the info helps regards tony

:sly: Shooting rabbits sitting with a shot gun, i don,t see the point, one shot and the rest have gone. A good rim-fire with low velocities does a much better job at clearing numbers. If it's sport your after, use an air gun or wait till colder weather and employ a ferret or two and take them running at speed, my tip for this kind of shooting is to use 5s as the shot doesn't fly around as much and keeps lower, less shot in the bunny oh and let the rabbit get 25 yrds before thinking of raising your gun and shoot at 30-35 yards. much better sport :hmm:

.........my tip for this kind of shooting is to use 5s as the shot doesn't fly around as much and keeps lower......

Sorry, what does this mean ?? :hmm:

Its a Heavier shot , If i take it to the extreme where 8s travel rapidly being quicker and lighter with more shot eg (walked up snipe) but loose energy and pattern faster. A 5s has more energy thus stopping power and you don't tend to pepper the rabbit as much with less shot also less likely to fly out of control as fast being heavier,where you loose control of your shot, even one pellet from a fives does the trick. just my opinion henry, Cartridges for courses so to speak but i will often have 6s in the open and a fives in the choke for the longer second shot. There is a difference between all the shot sizes.

Edited by tealer

hi

well wht i will say is .. if you are new to rabbit shooting then ist wht ever cartrige u choose to use put it in ur barrel n shoot on the field to cheak the range n spread ,simple and easy n once u get the the range in ur mind then on a still rabit aim for the rabbit it self n try to keep both ur eyes open as its not a rifle ,2nd if u got wobly shoulder meanin u get a big jerk whn firng then air a bit lower (not more thn half inch) then the rabbit n shoot , and now for the fun part whn a rabbit starts running away from u at tht think of ur gun as a stick n try to trail the rabbit with it ,,keep both eyes open n shoot (in range) one the rabbit shooting a bit forward mite help but not a lot as rabbits tend to change direction

hope it helps ..it a unusual methods but they work for me all i can say is .. in rabbit shooting none usualy escape from my gun ..cheers

advice................get a airgun !

sitting rabbits are not as easy as they look with a shotgun

Using an airgun is miles more difficult than a shotgun, if you miss a sitting rabbit with a shotgun in reasonable range you shouldnt be shooting IMO.

Oh and Tealer rabbit shooting isnt supposed to be sport.... ITS PEST CONTROL!

I agree with the other poster, aim for the feet. If you are shooting clays, you'll almost always miss over if you aim directly so aim to shoot under and slightly ahead.

It doesn't matter what shot you use if you miss! Nothing will stop one that doesn't hit one.

All that said, if youre going to eat them, you'll have to paunch them pretty well straight away if you use a shottie or the gut and bladder contents will spoil the meat.

If you have the choice, a rimmy and a head shot is the best combo.

I shoot them with a rimmy, paunch, top and tail with a gurkha knife against a fence post and just skin when I get home. Soak overnight in salty water and you've got a super meal. I generally take the hind legs, saddle and fore legs, giving the rib cage to the dog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

i find that buyig them from a pet shop and putting them in a cage about 10 yards away is the best way to hit them. Any size shot. Just joking, i havent managed to hit one yet. They bolt from me when im at the edge of range, and get far away quickly. I've fired one shot at a rabbit in about a dozen outings, having seen a few each time. Might try sitting upwind of a warren. Is morning or evening best for that?

i find that buyig them from a pet shop and putting them in a cage about 10 yards away is the best way to hit them. Any size shot. Just joking, i havent managed to hit one yet. They bolt from me when im at the edge of range, and get far away quickly. I've fired one shot at a rabbit in about a dozen outings, having seen a few each time. Might try sitting upwind of a warren. Is morning or evening best for that?

Downwind of a warren might work better. Summer time - dawn and dusk, winter too but more productive to lamp them then - air rifle or rimmie.

Practise your soft foot falls and field skills and you'll get more shots. :yes:

We do a lot of 'bunnie' shooting with shotguns,but always bolted with ferrets.Clear Pigeon will do the job no problem,or any 30grm 6's.Obviously we're no more than about 10/15 yds away when they bolt,and the secret is to blot them out and shoot the instant you're in front.If you have a serious rabbit infestation ferreting to guns is a good way to get results.

Farmers pay for our cartridges come 'maize' cutting time....there are rabbits boltng everywhere when the machines start up!Great fun.