is my dog a duff-en

darren m

Jack my lab is 18 months old now ( in a couple of days ) and he still has,nt grasped it , i,ve gone back to basics 3 times now.

i,ve had lots of good advice from madspringer and NTTF .

At this age i thought he would be fully trained , at the age of 6 to 12 months he was going great , but the last few months he's been hard work .

Is this normal with labs?.

some one told me i have to wait for him to be aleast 2 before he calms down , is that true ?.

thinking about giving him something to calm him down , but not sure what he gets so hyper / excited.( maybe i should shoot him with a tranq dart :lol: , before we go beating ).

maybe i should pay out and get some professional help with training , how much does this usually cost . .

Darren ...

Black Labs don't (mentally :lol: ) mature until they are two and a half to three years old. They are rambuncious and act a little addled, they will try your patience to no end.

I fear that if you let someone else handle him until he reach's his maturity he will not have the great bond with you that is the best part about owning a Lab. If you do that at least spend as much time with him as you can.

My Lab/Border Collie mix was a complete mental case when she was younger. I took her dove hunting several times and while she did find the downed bird, whether in a bush, high grass or water, she would eat them if I didn't get to her in time

. Of course I counted the eaten bird towards my limit :lol: . She calmed down more at 2-3 years. Now she is an old **** and while she still likes to go afield, she won't go after those difficult to retrieve birds...just looks at me like I am crazy.

This is only my one experience and only with my dog but I have heard the same thing from other Lab owners.

Darren I hope Jack comes on well after the teenage years pass, I'm still to get that with Amber and I have no doubt that I will be posting a message on here saying that Amber was great when she was young and now she has gone to pot.

I'm not sure how much time you spend with her but I'm at an advantage because I spend 24/7 with mine, due to working for myself and I feel all this time with her has created a really strong bond.

It proves this when someone starts to talk to her, she does listen but she fixes her eyes on me to see my reaction and if I'm seem OK she responds to the other person. I think that what shes thinking but you never know do you.

I have been told this week the Kennel Club are running a field trail on our shoot this Sat so I'm looking forward to seeing what a good quality well trained dog can do, and I'm hoping Amber watches and picks up some tips.

Keep at it mate and lets hope we have FT CH before our dogs name on the Pedigree Certificate in the future.

The PM

Thanks for the encouragement lads.. Keep it up.

Berthaboo -- hi mate , he's just very hyper and head strong all ways looking around for mischeif ( teenagers ), and as bouts of disobedince ( especially with other dogs around ) just when you think he;s all right he lets me down , he's always rearing to go ie . leg it after game , ignores the stop whistle , and i have to constantly tell him to heal and watch him like a hawk .

he his very keen , no doubt about that and he will go any where , i think its more steadiness he needs ,need to find a rabbit pen to work him in , but was hoping he would have calmed down abit by now . all ideas welcome mate .

Any way hows Bertha doing this season ?.

it could be his hormones i suppose , maybe if i had his nuts off , he would,nt have any :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

DM,

just reading your post again and you mentioned you were taking him back to basics again.

Have you always maintained the basics when you started getting him out working or did you let that side slip a little, the reason I ask is because the week after my dog Amber had a great start she went to **** the next time out. What I did do was not bother with any of the basics after that week and I paid the price for it on her next time out.

You learn by your mistakes and this week I kept on top of them and she had a blinder of a day today.

I get myself in a frame of mind and want to make more progress with her but then forget that I have to keep on top of her basic commands, what do you think, is this what could have happened to your Jack or like others say its maybe just a phase he is going through.

just a thought mate.

The PM

R/E Dog

I think we are missing something here all working dogs

love the field just as much as we do when they know they are

going to be worked one can expect a little exitement from them

I have a very fine lab he is great on every diciplin in the field

he is also a great wildfowling dog.However he can be a little

head strong when fresh. but as I am the shoot keeper I make sure

that I work him before the shoot begins there is always some

land that wants dogging in if he is exercised before use he will

work much better if you restrain him on the lead for the first

10 minutes of the shoot you will find that you will have a fine

dog that you will be proud to take anywhere

Peter

Stoggieman, I did that myself today, when everyone was getting a cuppa down their necks I took the dog over the field and let her work a little to get rid of intial excitment.

worked for me, I dont think anyone would want to get rid of that keeness in a dog because thats what makes them so great to watch. Its just sometimes it overwhelms the dog and you look a bit of a plonker. :thumbs:

PM

Good points , i agree they do need to let off a little steam first , but one chap pointed out that if your dog knows is going for a mad half hour when he goes out , how will he know the difference between a good walk and shoot days.

i think though in jacks case he really does need to be tired out first , is energy seems endless and he is too alert to every thing else around him apart from me :thumbs: .

When you take him out do you have a pocket full of treats, I would be pi@#ing in the wind if I didnt take some treats for my dog.

When I whistle the dog commands she gets a treat 50% of the time, its keeps her focused on me because when its comes to treats she will climb a mountain for them. greedy little buggar :thumbs:

PM