New 2nd Dog

Whizzo

I'm considering buying a 2nd dog.

Current dog was house dog/pet until he was 4 when I took up shooting again, he's now 6 but struggles.

He sleeps outside in the shed but all other times he is indoors (except when we are out)

If I get a 2nd dog, this will be a working dog.

I would condiser a fenced in run attached to the shed so he wouldn't escape/wreck the garden.

Wife maintains that both dogs should be out side or both inside as it would be unfair on the new dog to be out while the Jasper gets allowed in and has all the attention.

My intention is to work the dogs seperately as I don't want no 2 to get bad habbits of No 1.

I want to keep hound no 1 as a pet.

What do you guys and gals think of my predicament?

Whizzo,

I have almost the exact same problem,

With me, the current dog (Molly) sleeps indoors although she spends a lot of time in her outdoor run and kennel (run is 50'x15') I want another dog to work and also as a pal for Molly, as I don't have the time to put in I would probably have to buy a trained pooch or send him/her away to school.

As with you I want to treat both dogs the same and not favour one over the other, I think that the new dog should fit in to the same routine that you now use with your current dog, and it would also cause the least disruption all round, as long as the current dog gets enough exercise as they wont be out working with you and the new one.